RLV Control of Avatar Movement Speed

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a slave collar, and its associated cuffs, offered for sale that can RLV limit avatar movement speed. If the ankle cuffs are chained loosely together the avatar can move no faster than walk. If the avatar's ankles are chained closely together the avatar can only move by short hops, and the movement speed is much slower than the walking speed. If the avatar is hogtied the avatar can move only be squirming on the floor, and movement very slow, much slower than even avatar crouching speed.

I expected that RLV movement would be be limitable to walking speed, crouching speed, and even slower, with a simple RlV command. But I can only find a such a command to limit an avatar to walking speed. I am interested in ways RLV can limit an avatar's movement speed to slower than walk just as that collar is able to do. How might that collar be able to do it:?

That collar is not OpenCollar scripted. It has the creator's own scripts.

There are a few different ways, but my preffered one is to have an attachment worn by the avatar use llSetForce() (or llSetVelocity() which I like less ) to push with/against the avatar's intended movement.

Bonus usability points if you add a small positive amount to the z component of the force so they can go up stairs, but that can lead to sky-walking in laggy regions and overly high jumps if not handled very intelligently.

• 2 weeks later...

The best way I've found to achieve this when you have the freedom to use the control event is to completely override the movement inputs and set the velocity manually. You can go as deep as you want with this avenue, adding your own ramping/lerping etc. Generally I use the 3.5m/s avatar walk speed as a basis to generate my velocities and then scale down (or up) from there depending on my needs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.