Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I'm really delving into AV physics... :)

My next question is on drag, the setting under advanced parameters. Does my logic make sense?

According to the Help, drag "controls the effect of air resistance. A higher number increases the air resistance."

So with that in mind, I would think breasts would have less air resistance, because there's a more noticable effect from air pressing on the breasts as you walk around. (Of course most of us wear bras in real life, but let's ignore that...) So a lower drag number is needed for breasts, the butt a little higher, and the belly the highest of all.

When setting drag, breasts should be lower than the butt which should be lower than the belly. Does that sound right to everyone?

Thanks

I played around with physics quite some time ago when I had the Emerald viewer (long before the fiasco that got that viewer banned).  The breasts were the only body part physics were applied to (I believe the new SL viewer has more body parts but I've not tried it.....heck I don't even have the newest viewer).  What I found was drag (or friction) works pretty much as drag works on flexible paths.  The more you apply (the higher the number) the slower and movement initiates and once initiated the slower it returns to the "neutral" position.  You have to experiment to find what you think is most realistic (or whatever it is you are trying for).  The way I did my adjusting was to put on a dance animation (a relatively fast dance with some jumping up and down) while making the adjustments in preferences.

Myra Wildmist wrote:

Yes, I'm really delving into AV physics...
:)

My next question is on drag, the setting under advanced parameters. Does my logic make sense?

According to the Help, drag "controls the effect of air resistance. A higher number increases the air resistance."

So with that in mind, I would think breasts would have less air resistance, because there's a more noticable effect from air pressing on the breasts as you walk around. (Of course most of us wear bras in real life, but let's ignore that...) So a lower drag number is needed for breasts, the butt a little higher, and the belly the highest of all.

When setting drag, breasts should be lower than the butt which should be lower than the belly. Does that sound right to everyone?

Thanks

Think of the drag settings as adjusting how thick the air is around them. Moving your body though regular air with a low drag setting equals quick response and little resistance. Setting the drag high will be like trying to move through yourself through thick pea soup, lots of resistance and your wiggly parts will lag behind your movements.

Generally, I'd say drag on all parts needs to be near 0. I say that because the drag setting doesn't care if you move a tiny bit or a lot, it still lags that body part behind you the same amount regardless. It can look rather dumb IMO. Use a slightly higher mass setting instead to get the same "lag & catch up" effect, but it won't look 'tarded because it does react differently depending on what movements you are doing. The gravity setting helps determine how sensitive the effects due to mass are.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.