Mesh Tattoo Building

GregMorris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, when it comes to the final steps of building tattoos in SL.  is it a 'kit' of some sort, i'm looking for to finish the last few steps? i.e. apply the tattoo to the proper body part. right arm , left leg ect.   really the best information i'm finding on the issue.. is from YouTube videos. in the end, i will build them for all mesh body types. and old av if its worth it.

What steps have you done? Here are some steps for tattoos supported by system avatars and BOM-enabled mesh avatars. 

Step 1. Get the upper body, lower body and head templates which are image files.

Step 2. Draw your tattoos using an art program based on the templates.

Step 3. Upload tattoo images to SL.

Step 4. Create new tattoo object in the SL inventory folder. 

Step 5. Wear new tattoo object. 

Step 6. Edit new tattoo object. This should show a window where you can add tattoo images for the upper body, lower body and head. You have to add at least one image. You should start seeing the tattoos on your avatar if you have either a system avatar or a BOM-enabled mesh avatar.

Step 7. Set permissions. Test tattoo on another avatar. Box it up and sell it. 

There are also mesh avatars that use 'applier' skin and tattoos. These need a kit to create applier tattoos. However, the trend is moving toward BOM tattoos which are easier to create and easier for avatars to wear. 

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 1

The above post has it all covered pretty much, just mentioning that the BoM tattoo thing is basically a system that allows you to use classic avatar layers on mesh, and is why its so easy to use them. It basically gives mesh the same options as the original classic avatar without all the added steps of making appliers.

A BoM tattoo is pretty much a classic avatar tattoo. It's just called a BoM tattoo so people with Bakes on Mesh will know it'll work for them, too. If you're in the market to sell them, you can probably just make tattoos using the above-described method and sell enough of them to BoM or classic avi users to not really stress over making appliers and all of that business. As far as I can tell, the whole applier thing is headed towards becoming obsolete now, anyway.

I have multiple tattoos and I just make them the old-fashioned way. I haven't needed to use an applier since my Kemono days.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.