If one relays for SL income on weekend sales, one has to produce 104 items (most creators make 2 a week) every year!!!
Now try to make that happen and try to stand out at the same time......
Exploring the boundaries is than a logical next step I guess for those creators.

And of course the regular creators in an event keep a sharp look on what others are doing. That way they are pulling each other in the same direction before you know it.

On top of that (out of my own experience) one never knows if something one creates and puts on the market will sell or not.

Peeve: It is hard to create for SL.  But creators should open their eyes and try to have a look at the whole shebang as an outsider every once in a while. If you want to stand out from the rest: Try some middle of the road fashion items for a change.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't want to put you on the spot, so feel free to ignore this . . . but I'd be seriously interested to see what you can make of that piece!

Pfft, you know I don't mind! I'll have to do some digging around and see what I come up with. I was inspired to do something with my pink sparkling avie (points to forum avatar) since I haven't taken her out for a shopping spin in a bit. I just recently treated my froggie to some new threads, which I keep forgetting to post, too.

Edit: Oh, and I will NOT be using that shirt in my outfit, lmao. It inspired me to do something entirely different - avant-garde formal.

Edit Edit: Wait...now that I think about it, maybe I will try to style that top. I bet I have an avatar that could work...lemme go play around with that.

Peeve: The stuff I really want to shop for, tho, isn't on sale!!!! Isn't that always the way?! Time to dig into the gown reserves.

54 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

If we're going to get into SL avatar trends and controversial opinions that might make others mad at me...I'm just wondering when the tattoo craze will end. There's no skin left people, you've covered it all!

Innn myyyy defennnnseeeee, I've wanted full-body tats and body mods in RL since I was...born, pretty much. 😂 I'm squeamish as hell and cannot stand the slightest bit of pain, though, so my initial meeting with a tattoo artist to plan out my first newbie arm tat that quickly turned into "omg girl, let me put THIS H.R. Giger design across your entire BACK, it'd ROCK let's GO!" kind of scared me off, lol. I was 100% down with the idea but I thought I'd probably faint and die within the first 30 seconds, so politely declined and ran out, lol. I shall continue to live vicariously through my avatars for that, thank you. 😄

Peeve: I really wanted that damn tattoo, tho!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Clarifyin'
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If one relays for SL income on weekend sales, one has to produce 104 items (most creators make 2 a week) every year!!!
Exploring the boundaries is than a logical next step I guess for those creators.

I think most participants in the weekend sales put forth older releases, and many cycle through their backlog every few months. If you've got a 3 year old top which has had the same old L$250 price tag and 1-2 sales per month on average, getting to sell 50 copies for L$60 over a weekend is just a way to boost your income.

You could also just participate once a month or so, don't have to be in all sales every week.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And of course the regular creators in an event keep a sharp look on what others are doing. That way they are pulling each other in the same direction before you know it.

On top of that (out of my own experience) one never knows if something one creates and puts on the market will sell or not.

Peeve: It is hard to create for SL.  But creators should open their eyes and try to have a look at the whole shebang as an outsider every once in a while. If you want to stand out from the rest: Try some middle of the road fashion items for a change.

That's the things I look for.. I love good t-shirts that fit well.. Shorts with those little differences  like a little loose in the front like real ones fit.. I love jeans that have a good jean texture to them  with a little fade that looks like they were worn to that fade..

Just real every day things that I would run around in.. There is such a wide range of avenues for normal every day clothes..

The ones that make them feel really natural and textured well.. Those landmarks get put into a special folder..

It seems like there is a lot of newer creators trying to trend, kind of like people on youtube try to go viral.. where if they just stuck to a few avenues and perfected things.. I think they would do so much better..

I'm sure it's also them trying to find their niche too.. Everything has it's growing pains, so we could be seeing a lot of that too until they click with something they really love to create..:)

I sometimes forget to put myself in their shoes and box them up as this or that.. When really I should see the a lot of the newer ones as still learning things.. I just wish they didn't feel the need to price things like they are in the thriple A league.. hehehe

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't want to put you on the spot, so feel free to ignore this . . . but I'd be seriously interested to see what you can make of that piece!

I would love to give it a try myself as well..

I would probably try something similar to these pants with a bra under, dress up the tummy area.. maybe even some sort of shorts..

Bonnie Up

I'd definitely be diving deep into my inventory trying to make something work..

If you want to IM me here in the forums with where to get it, I'll run and get it and give it a try as well.. hehehe

ETA:Never mind about IMing me in here, I found it.. I had a feeling it was from there.. There or one other place.. hehehe

I'll give it a go..:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, I soooo knew you'd respond. I need a pat on the back or maybe a light shoulder massage, and someone to tell me that it'll be ok. 😕

Yeah. It's so odd. It was SUCH a stylish era!

Instead we've got . . . well, I shouldn't name and shame, but one of the most popular brands of women's clothing put out sales stuff today that I can't even . . .

I won't give you a shoulder massage, because I just KNOW that it would be misconstrued by some, but I WILL tell you things will be OK. They really will...

Yes , the 20's were very stylish. The creator likely stopped focussing on them, because it wasn't selling as well as some of the newer, sexier styles. Sex sells, style not as much. Unfortunately, because style IS sexy, in my opinion. But sales figures dictate where a creator's focus goes. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When Clothes Designers Go Bad.

When-Clothes-Designers-Go-Bad-Blank.thumb.png.b2481435524c64b46115a6c9f31e6b55.png

This picture would be great for a "Caption This!" contest or game. Some examples:

- "Yes, but where's the rest of it?"

- "The Empress's New Clothes", a new take on the classic fable

- "I'll just wear my husband's shirt, nobody will notice"

- "This is how classical marble statues are modeled for the draping of garments."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh totally. I don't mind plunge necklines per se, although, being the shrinking violet that I am, I DO tend often to wear a cami under them. But I'd only put something under the third of the three examples you posted: I think the top two look great.

My objection to the top I posted a pic of has much less to do with the expanse of chest and tummy it shows off than with the utter shapelessness of the thing. It has almost no discernible line or profile to it. It looks a bit like someone just ripped a big hole in a pink fitted sheet, and threw it over their head. It's why I don't think a cami would save this piece: it's going to look ungainly whatever you wear with it because it has no shape.

The other subtext to all of this (and I'd classify this as a separate peeve) is the fact that this particular brand used to produce really great clothing. It was (and, in fairness, still is) really well made and nicely textured, with lots of options, but more to the point, their older stuff (of which I own truckloads) was really usable: basics, and things like jackets that were both good looking and versatile. My favouite leather jackets are by them, and a really great hooded parka, among a ton of other things.

So, pet peeve:

It's a bit upsetting to see a brand you could once rely upon increasingly catering to . . . I'm not sure what. My pet theory is that this is about competition from the other really popular woman's clothing brand: it's a little as though there's a race to the bottom driven by the apparent popularity of ugly sexy soccer mum clothing. It's not interesting, it's not attractive, and it's not even edgy. Mostly it's just . . . bleeeeeeh.

Well, I actually kind of like the loose look of the shirt and it worked over quite a few pairs of pants I tried with it.   I also paired it with a BOM tank and leggings from Riot.  

717860e7af4271e18dfaff20f15f2ecf.thumb.jpg.2f89162ae84c20457f6ebe23f06d73c9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I just noticed only a single color is on sale for this weekend (PEEVE!) and of course, it's not the color I need for the outfit I paired it with (PEEVE!), so I won't be styling and photographing that shirt. I WILL say, however, that it absolutely does work if you start with an avatar that's not particularly sexy to begin with. It looks great on my frog paired up with some ombre pants, strappy high-heeled sandals, and her overall tropical look (styled with some tropical headpieces and accessories like her froggy leaf umbrella).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I just noticed only a single color is on sale for this weekend (PEEVE!)

Yeah, I went to grab a demo but when I saw it was only available in pink I decided to just skip on it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Goth Trivia of the Day : Cassandra Peterson, aka "Elvira Mistress of the Dark" apparently stayed in that dress using double sided sticky tape.

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ouch.

Apparently, it is a staple in the model and acting world.  I used double-side tape before with a top that liked to wander a bit (yep, ouch when you take it off).

• Like 5

Hmmm.

This whole vibe about "low cut tops, leading on into whinging that women follow fashion trends, and the evils of "ugly" people who decided their skin would look nice with some ink under it.

What can I say.

It's like visiting an old folks home in Bigotburg, Florida, and hearing a bunch of 90 year olds proudly boasting how they voted for the law that makes it illegal to wear a bikini at the beach, if it was designed AFTER 1930.

"Oh no can't wear that it has side boob, or under boob, or covers less than 990 % of your rear end, omg I can see your belly button, abomination! And that skirt, it shows your KNEES! Burn the Witch! in the name of our Lardy Flavour Cheesus Toast"

I own a dress with a lower cut ( but narrower ) cleavage than that yellow top in RL, and a couple in SL, You know, "fashion" for people under 60  40.

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

weekend sales, one has to produce 104 items (most creators make 2 a week)

Sorry, but that's wrong, most of the stuff in the weekend sales is, as Orwar mentioned, older products reduced in price, some, repeat some merchants put out a NEW item for a sale, most do not.

So what's next, you people going to start hating on people with piercings? How about makeup? Hey let's hate on anyone who  has hair that isn't a 1/4 inch military buzz cut, right?

Peeve Damn commie loving hippies under 40 with their "date clothes" and "fashion" and "not looking like they live in a care home in Bigotburg Florida, pah humbug!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

So what's next, you people going to start hating on people with piercings? How about makeup? Hey let's hate on anyone who  has hair that isn't a 1/4 inch military buzz cut, right?

Peeve Damn commie loving hippies under 40 with their "date clothes" and "fashion" and "not looking like they live in a care home in Bigotburg Florida, pah humbug!

Preach it!

...I am a long-haired, pierced, tatted RL man and damned proud.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When Clothes Designers Go Bad.

When-Clothes-Designers-Go-Bad-Blank.thumb.png.b2481435524c64b46115a6c9f31e6b55.png

I  don't mind some of the plunging draping tops, but after staring at that picture for a while, I finally figured out why I hate it.  My eyes kept getting drawn to the lower part of the plunge (circled in black below) and that part just looks like someone hacked at it with scissors. It totally ruins the whole plunging effect, in my eyes.

image.png.963ae9d31ea3ce35c348d89441f8e7c8.png

• Like 4

Thankfully, a problem @Scylla Rhiadra had in another thread prompted a solution to preventing @Sid Nagy being offended by hair cuts and makeup and facial piercings on "ugly people".

FashiontipsforScylla.thumb.png.9b35168f2be2eabeebb7b95d4cefd04d.png

PS: Told you I had a dress with a lower cleavage, AND it shows some tattoos!

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hey let's hate on anyone who  has hair that isn't a 1/4 inch military buzz cut, right?

Throws his elbow-length hair to and fro.

Sometimes, 'hate' is just a misnomer for 'jealousy'! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's like visiting an old folks home in Bigotburg, Florida, and hearing a bunch of 90 year olds proudly boasting how they voted for the law that makes it illegal to wear a bikini at the beach, if it was designed AFTER 1930.

"Oh no can't wear that it has side boob, or under boob, or covers less than 990 % of your rear end, omg I can see your belly button, abomination! And that skirt, it shows your KNEES! Burn the Witch! in the name of our Lardy Flavour Cheesus Toast"

Did I miss a post that was saying others can't wear those things?  Did I miss a post where someone wanted to forbid other people even liking that kind of clothing? Or the post that says creators can't create that kind of clothing in SL? Or did I miss the post that people are not allowed to have an opinion of what they find attractive whether its clothes (or SL neighborhoods) in a discussion thread?

Peeve: I hate when I miss stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

If we're going to get into SL avatar trends and controversial opinions that might make others mad at me...I'm just wondering when the tattoo craze will end. There's no skin left people, you've covered it all!

There is a traditional Yakuza tattoo style from Japan, specifically, covers most of the skin EXCEPT the bits you can see when wearing a kimono...

Feet, hands, central cleavage...

HornedandBlue.thumb.jpg.1e19664c2f21984617e0a928b805d078.jpg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, I actually kind of like the loose look of the shirt and it worked over quite a few pairs of pants I tried with it.   I also paired it with a BOM tank and leggings from Riot.  

717860e7af4271e18dfaff20f15f2ecf.thumb.jpg.2f89162ae84c20457f6ebe23f06d73c9.jpg

I tried it with some jeans from RIOT and it looks pretty good with those as well..  I can't say I'm crazy about some of the mixes they use for the more basic darker colors though..

That and you almost need something under it because  from the sides  it's nippy show time.. hehehe

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Did I miss a post that was saying others can't wear those things?  Did I miss a post where someone wanted to forbid other people even liking that kind of clothing? Or the post that says creators can't create that kind of clothing in SL? Or did I miss the post that people are not allowed to have an opinion of what they find attractive whether its clothes (or SL neighborhoods) in a discussion thread?

Peeve: I hate when I miss stuff.

I assumed it was a peeve in part referencing a recent thread along the lines of, "Why are most clothes in SL sexual?". If not, it fits IMHO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Okay. So, I'm one of those that enjoy the boyfriend type shirts. Something about crashing people with a bit of non conforming gendered clothing speaks to me. Perfect for when I get my Tomboy phases. As such, it was obviously my duty to check out this garment.

Review: I think it's... okay?

I specialize in what a friend of mine calls "dumb casual" (which she contrasts with "smart casual"): boyfriend shirts, often with ripped or graphic tees under them, ripped jeans, etc. I probably wear that look more often than anything else in SL, actually: it's my go-to for when I'm setting up shots, or exploring, or things like that. One of the reasons is that it reflects my casual look at home in RL, and another is that it makes dressing up for clubbing, parties, openings and such feel more "special" -- like an occasion.

That said, I wouldn't wear my bf's tee if he'd run a lawnmower over it first . . . 😀 Yes, @BelindaN, even I have standards!

It may well be a lack of imagination on my part that I can't think of a way of making that piece look good on me. But I'm entirely willing to concede that others might be able to.

And again -- I'm certainly not trying to prescribe what people should or shouldn't wear. There will be people who love this. And why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I have two tattoos -- one on my right arm and one on my chest, just over and around my left breast -- that are my "standard" look. I actually don't like the look of perfectly symmetrical tattoos, so that's one reason I don't wear more, but it's also (for me) about highlighting what I am wearing by contrast: I want my tattoos (both of which are of roses) to stand out, and not get lost in a sea of ink. And I like how what I've got sort of subtly peeks out from under a low cut and/or sleeveless top or dress.

That said, I've seen some amazing full body tattooing out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Pfft, you know I don't mind! I'll have to do some digging around and see what I come up with. I was inspired to do something with my pink sparkling avie (points to forum avatar) since I haven't taken her out for a shopping spin in a bit. I just recently treated my froggie to some new threads, which I keep forgetting to post, too.

Edit: Oh, and I will NOT be using that shirt in my outfit, lmao. It inspired me to do something entirely different - avant-garde formal.

Edit Edit: Wait...now that I think about it, maybe I will try to style that top. I bet I have an avatar that could work...lemme go play around with that.

Peeve: The stuff I really want to shop for, tho, isn't on sale!!!! Isn't that always the way?! Time to dig into the gown reserves.

Internal monologues and debates like this are why I always show up late for things. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2