7 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

...If you're adding a step to a person's unpacking—making them do more mouse moves, focusing, and clicks to finish a task—you're adding a barrier/pain point. Stop it!

Can't agree more with this, having spent hours unpacking freebies. This one needs to be clicked... that one does too but has attached hidden by the inventory window, this one needs rezzing and manually opening, that one likes to spam my group invitations, local chat and gives a dialog with an 'unpack' button, but unpacks automatically anyway so you get two copies... and so on. I'm grateful for all the gifts but this drives me up the wall.

My own unpackers unpack into a sensibly* named folder on attach or rez, automatically. They don't even respond to a click so that you get a double delivery. It unpacks, tells you, and goes away.

*I think this is my current worst pet peeve... having so many folders called something like, "My Wonderful Thing BOXED - Add Me Unpacke". It's even truncated because it's too long! Editing them all to take out the "Boxed", "Unpacked" etc. takes for ever. There's absolutely no need for silly folder names if a script is unpacking it. You can specify the folder name.

One of my scripts checks for a " - Boxed" at the end of the object's name and creates a folder from the name without that bit.

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Y'all with cold weather peeves could come live in "South" Florida! Low expected of only 44F today, 35F tomorrow.

Same with southern California. Sunny warm afternoon today temp was 65 but sun made it feel warmer. Went for walk on beach in a sweat shirt. Bummer is gas is like $7 and houses are like 800k and rent is 3k for one bedroom. I'm a renter and they raise my rent every year. I will have to move soon due to cost of living. Wish I bought a house 5 years ago before prices doubled. Sad that home market is just flippers now days. They grab a house for 400k...then put it back up for 800k two days later. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:57 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Y'all with cold weather peeves could come live in "South" Florida! Low expected of only 44F today, 35F tomorrow.

My daughter lives in Orlando -- she said that everyone she knows broke out their winter coats, if they had them, and the rest just put on multiple layers and refused to go outside.

Here is a picture someone nabbed that showed our temperature drop last week.  The drop happened around 4:15 in the afternoon.

image.thumb.png.421570f1983fa2295b06a81ce8a1e22a.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My daughter lives in Orlando -- she said that everyone she knows broke out their winter coats, if they had them, and the rest just put on multiple layers and refused to go outside.

Same here in Tampa Bay area, it's been in the 40's. More normal for January.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SodaGnome said:

Same with southern California. Sunny warm afternoon today temp was 65 but sun made it feel warmer. Went for walk on beach in a sweat shirt. Bummer is gas is like $7 and houses are like 800k and rent is 3k for one bedroom. I'm a renter and they raise my rent every year. I will have to move soon due to cost of living. Wish I bought a house 5 years ago before prices doubled. Sad that home market is just flippers now days. They grab a house for 400k...then put it back up for 800k two days later. 

The housing bubble will probably burst before too much longer.

14 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Item boxes that when you Add them have the script to open and ask if you want to keep the item, but then don't detach the item when it's down loading into your inventory. Some stores do, most do not.

[ grumbles about not being able to name and shame ;) ]

If you're adding a step to a person's unpacking—making them do more mouse moves, focusing, and clicks to finish a task—you're adding a barrier/pain point. Stop it!

I miss the good old days. You rezzed the box to unpack. None of this "assume you should attach it" nonsense!

On 12/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

40s F? I wish. Y'all are wimps. It was -27C with the wind chill several mornings last week. I've played baseball in near freezing rain conditions.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

40s F? I wish. Y'all are wimps. It was -27C with the wind chill several mornings last week. I've played baseball in near freezing rain conditions.

I am never living anywhere it gets that cold. No thanks! You can have all that. lol

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I am never living anywhere it gets that cold. No thanks! You can have all that. lol

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I hate being hot, especially if I'm sweaty too. I start praying for snow about Memorial Day, and stay indoors till autumn rolls around. There's no way I'd live anywhere that doesn't have a sturdy winter. 

• Like 3

While I would love to not live anywhere with winters, I'm settling for just moving some place where the winters are not quite as harsh.  I can't stand the super hot (like Arizona) or the super humid (like most of the South), so that means that I have to put up with at least a little bit of wintery type weather.  I've also decided that I really want to get back to where there are lots more trees and a wonderful mix of fall colors.  So, at retirement, we are moving east - somewhere along the Smoky Mountain range.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Since I watched that documentary on netflix about the volcano that blew up on a bunch of tourists I now refuse to live near a volcano. I was thinking about moving to Bend Oregon but they have like 3 volcano's there. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While I would love to not live anywhere with winters, I'm settling for just moving some place where the winters are not quite as harsh.  I can't stand the super hot (like Arizona) or the super humid (like most of the South), so that means that I have to put up with at least a little bit of wintery type weather.  I've also decided that I really want to get back to where there are lots more trees and a wonderful mix of fall colors.  So, at retirement, we are moving east - somewhere along the Smoky Mountain range.

Tennessee is pretty,  but the trouble with living anywhere that far south is that winters tend to be icy. When it snows, the snow tends to be heavy wet stuff that breaks trees and power lines,  not nice fluffy stuff. Places like that give winter a bad rap. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Tennessee is pretty,  but the trouble with living anywhere that far south is that winters tend to be icy. When it snows, the snow tends to be heavy wet stuff that breaks trees and power lines,  not nice fluffy stuff. Places like that give winter a bad rap. 

I moved FROM Tennessee TO Florida almost 25 years ago, exactly because experiencing 1 blizzard trapped in my home for 8-days was enough for me.  That kind of storm, trapped with no power, can't go anywhere, etc. is scarier than hurricanes. To me, at least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Places like this are also where people can't drive in snow and ice and think they all can as soon as the roads get coated, usually resulting in a huge mess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

Places like this are also where people can't drive in snow and ice and think they all can as soon as the roads get coated, usually resulting in a huge mess.

In my case, we lived on completely iced-over valley roads...and the trees snapped due to the cold and fell on the roads.. that is why we could not go anywhere for 8 days. It wasn't due to "not being safe" - it was physically impossible. Not only were the roads covered in inches of ice, they also were blocked by fallen trees.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

True.  We are looking more at the western part of N. Carolina, outside of Asheville or thereabouts.  And, once retired, if the weather sucks bad, we won't have to leave the house.

• Like 2