20 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

What stuff are you working on?

Easiest to explain like a "stack" from low-level to high-level functionality:

P-Code "assembly language" (low-level) interpreter - think of this like a "compiled code run-time interpreter" for general commands (about 120 commands supported)

Helper scripts for Events, and non-general LSL function categories 

Notecard reader / buffer - like a BIOS

Catalog / Multi-level folder / file handler - like a DOS

General-use / abstract Handler for "Watches", "Events" - transitions of states", commands. Started as a POC for text-based adventure games, for example

General use JSON parser for grouping commands as "statements", "events", "blocks", etc. Like a language.

Easiest explanation: Notecard-based programs that do many things, without code changes. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Confused 2

Backing up everything on the PC in preparation for wiping and reinstalling...and then getting the cheap new Ethernet-to-USB dongle working.

I know that we should still wipe the machine, just on general principles (it's a good idea to do it every so often, I'm told). But now it seems like an enormous amount of work for a potentially small gain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Easiest to explain like a "stack" from low-level to high-level functionality:

P-Code "assembly language" (low-level) interpreter - think of this like a "compiled code run-time interpreter" for general commands (about 120 commands supported)

Helper scripts for Events, and non-general LSL function categories 

Notecard reader / buffer - like a BIOS

Catalog / Multi-level folder / file handler - like a DOS

General-use / abstract Handler for "Watches", "Events" - transitions of states", commands. Started as a POC for text-based adventure games, for example

General use JSON parser for grouping commands as "statements", "events", "blocks", etc. Like a language.

Easiest explanation: Notecard-based programs that do many things, without code changes. 

I have no idea what any of this means......but it sounds very important. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Backing up everything on the PC in preparation for wiping and reinstalling...and then getting the cheap new Ethernet-to-USB dongle working.

I know that we should still wipe the machine, just on general principles (it's a good idea to do it every so often, I'm told). But now it seems like an enormous amount of work for a potentially small gain.

It's almost easier to just get a new hard drive..

I have like  4 or five that I can hook up and just pull things off of that i need..

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 1:58 AM, Seicher Rae said:

Yes, it does.

I can't walk around with the viewer, too used to FS, but... yes, yes it does.

Change the controls! Preferences - Keybindings. Do be aware that keybinding in the current release might be tricky. There is currently a bug that if you select an action from the dropdown the leftclick to select will pass through and be set as new bind, because mouse clicks and keys are separate and they don't clear each other, you will end up with a mouseclick being bound in addition to anything else you pressed. The solution is opening the dropdown and going through it with the arrow keys and selecting it with Enter. It's already fixed but i'm looking to make some more changes. 1-2 little bugfixes are a little bit too few for another release so soon when its not an emergency.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NiranV Dean said:

Change the controls! Preferences - Keybindings. Do be aware that keybinding in the current release might be tricky. There is currently a bug that if you select an action from the dropdown the leftclick to select will pass through and be set as new bind, because mouse clicks and keys are separate and they don't clear each other, you will end up with a mouseclick being bound in addition to anything else you pressed. The solution is opening the dropdown and going through it with the arrow keys and selecting it with Enter. It's already fixed but i'm looking to make some more changes. 1-2 little bugfixes are a little bit too few for another release so soon when its not an emergency.

My keybindings are inverted for some strange reason. Its like playing opposites on BD. Lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

My keybindings are inverted for some strange reason. Its like playing opposites on BD. Lol 

I heard about that bug too... i wouldn't know whats causing that tho. Nothing has changed in the way controls work, at least not for keyboard. Controller however has been completely reworked (and was infact inverted) but thats completely separate. Guess i'll have to do a clean settings run and press all the buttons. If you do find it let me know so i can fix it... i have a slight suspicion that mouse invert (or worse even the controller invert options) might be doing something stupid.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

Well, mainly my problem now is that my good, but old, desktop died and now I'm running a mediocre laptop with Intel graphics card—which brings up all sorts of warning signs even before I log into SL. I'm happy I can do anything with BD now, and I can. I'm just now getting back to taking photos, but... sigh... it is tough now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

People!

I miss my introverted hermit days where I would talk to no-one.  It's so hard to have solo dance parties whilst sorting inventory with people constantly IMing and wanting to "hang out".

And no @Seicher Rae, this peeve does not include you!  I can totally see us doing this together - solo dance partying together and sorting inventory in silence side by side!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Peeve: certain words are censored, but not "dongle". I think a better word for it would be a "clapper" (the small thing hanging inside a bell, which hits the bell to make the ringing sound), or "epiglottis" (the small flap of tissue at the back of the throat). 

Picture of my big "dong" (concert / church bells):

A7730BC6-FE4D-4CB4-9A04-5B998BBEF822.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

People!

I miss my introverted hermit days where I would talk to no-one.  It's so hard to have solo dance parties whilst sorting inventory with people constantly IMing and wanting to "hang out".

And no @Seicher Rae, this peeve does not include you!  I can totally see us doing this together - solo dance partying together and sorting inventory in silence side by side!!!

I'm reminded that a Facebook friend posts pictures about something real called a "Silent Disco".  

People dance silently in a public place, to music only on their own headphones.

• Like 2