9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Which brings me to my next peeve. I've never had the opportunity to read Practical Magic and it's not "free to read".

I was confused by this response. Did you mean to say that you don't have access to a public library?

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Seriously? Do you really think I am stupid? JFC. 

That is a major peeve with me. GTFO with that BS. Yeah, I should log in so I can have more of this kind of bs in my chat boxes. 🙄

I'm sorry, Silent. I did not intend to be demeaning or sarcastic. I thought I was poking fun at people who don't read books because everything is digital now. I did not mean to imply that you were stupid or anything like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sequoia Sojourner said:

peeve, feels like it's only safe to post in the what are you watching, reading, listening to threads.

Sometimes I go to the Listening thread and go "eww" and "eep" a few times.  Then I post something.  Then I remember that I used to post things that would make me go "eww" and "eep" now, and what I post now probably does the same to some other people. 

Peeve:  I just discovered roasted fava beans but my supermarket only has one flavour.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Never mind, I Should have read the rest of the pages of peeves before I wrote this. 

Thank you. Makes me glad I didn't respond so you had the chance to read the rest. 

I'd love to hit the library again even if our local caters mainly to children. Problem is the lack of transportation and the cost of riding the bus is absurd. No less than $5US, one way. Calling a cab or Uber or whatever is out of the question. Edit: I'm not even sure the bus goes that far as the route ends in my town. 

The Kindle I use was a gift but it's in his name as is the Amazon account.  

People must think I'm joking when I say I can't afford something and really have no clue what it's like to be poor, living on someone else's paycheck to paycheck because your health took a nosedive and you've only recently gotten treatment and begun recovery.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 5

38 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'd love to hit the library again even if our local caters mainly to children. Problem is the lack of transportation and the cost of riding the bus is absurd. No less than $5US, one way. Calling a cab or Uber or whatever is out of the question. Edit: I'm not even sure the bus goes that far as the route ends in my town. 

The Kindle I use was a gift but it's in his name as is the Amazon account.  

People must think I'm joking when I say I can't afford something and really have no clue what it's like to be poor, living on someone else's paycheck to paycheck because your health took a nosedive and you've only recently gotten treatment and begun recovery.

These are free services through most public libraries. All you need is your library card number and a computer or device that can use apps.

https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby

https://www.hoopladigital.com/

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Even those do require you to at least already have a Library card and not all Libraries will let you get the card online.  My local library will only let you do step 1 of the process online and you go to the library and complete step 2.  You have to complete the second part before you are considered to "have a library card".

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even those do require you to at least already have a Library card and not all Libraries will let you get the card online.  My local library will only let you do step 1 of the process online and you go to the library and complete step 2.  You have to complete the second part before you are considered to "have a library card".

My local library requires you to apply in person for a card.

• Sad 3

Peeve: when things get awfully laggy so you try to relog, only to find the login servers are having issues so you can't pop back in. And it happens on a rare occasion that I'm actually being productive! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:
On 10/22/2023 at 10:32 PM, Sequoia Sojourner said:

peeve, feels like it's only safe to post in the what are you watching, reading, listening to threads.

It's been fairly safe the last 11-12 days.

Maybe we need a thread, "DAYS SINCE LAST DISAPPEARED THREAD".

• Like 2

Peeve: having to keep secrets involving mutual friends :/ So now I obviously won't spread what Person A told me, but what it means, really, is I have to lie to Person B and pretend I haven't heard anything and don't know what's going on (and then worry that my eyes or body language might give me away :S)...and of course if it all comes out, Person B will be angry and ask why I didn't tell them...-_- 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

Peeve: having to keep secrets involving mutual friends :/ So now I obviously won't spread what Person A told me, but what it means, really, is I have to lie to Person B and pretend I haven't heard anything and don't know what's going on (and then worry that my eyes or body language might give me away :S)...and of course if it all comes out, Person B will be angry and ask why I didn't tell them...-_- 

Sounds stressful!

Since I don't know any of these people, you could tell me if you need a pressure release. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since I don't know any of these people, you could tell me if you need a pressure release. 

It's actually not very interesting xD But I just have B asking me if I know what's going on with A and why A isn't in contact, and me lying by saying "I don't know, I haven't heard from A either..." 9_9 I also worry about accidentally blurting it out...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It's actually not very interesting xD But I just have B asking me if I know what's going on with A and why A isn't in contact, and me lying by saying "I don't know, I haven't heard from A either..." 9_9 I also worry about accidentally blurting it out...

Peeve: Boring drama is the worst! You forget when to lie!

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 9:42 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

Sometimes I go to the Listening thread and go "eww" and "eep" a few times.  Then I post something.  Then I remember that I used to post things that would make me go "eww" and "eep" now, and what I post now probably does the same to some other people. 

Peeve:  I just discovered roasted fava beans but my supermarket only has one flavour.

Peeve: That I can't even think about fava beans without thinking about Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

OIP(7).jpeg.563610f18e66cd70ef18220399448fb7.jpeg

Honestly, I don't see how this and fava beans would go well with liver.

(I DID see a post on the internet somewhere recently that explained exactly WHY he would pair liver with the fava beans and chianti. Something about treating a specific mental illness.)

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Honestly, I don't see how this and fava beans would go well with liver.

(I DID see a post on the internet somewhere recently that explained exactly WHY he would pair liver with the fava beans and chianti. Something about treating a specific mental illness.)

Another famous movie featuring Chianti is Silence of the Lamb, where Dr. Lecture promises to pair it up with some liver and fava beans.  This pairing will work nicely, but an even better pairing is Amarone, which was what was originally featured in the best-selling novel.  Movie producers changed the pairing from Amarone to Chianti as they felt  audiences would not know what Amarone was.

Store that factoid away for trivia night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2