15 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Funny. I've never heard of anyone going to a department shop, a hardware shop, or a drug shop.

That's because those terms are American ones, not English ones.

"Department Store" came from the US. Before "Department Store", "Magazine" was used in England, derived from the French word "magasin", which is an alternative word for a grouping or collection of many different things.

Sadly, "Magazine" and "Magasin" fell out of favour in England in 1908 after a certain Mr Selfridge (an American) opened his own "Department Store" on Oxford Street in London. The French still call theirs "Magasins".

A "Hardware Store" is the US name for an Ironmongers shop. An ironmonger is a merchant, one who sells iron-related goods, tools or other heavy hardware. Other mongers include fishmongers, cheesemongers and costermongers (fruit).

A "Drug Store" is the US name for a Chemists shop, or a Pharmacy shop.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Hoping that with a new monarch, the language may be allowed to evolve a little.

Peeve: I never enjoyed British TV comedies as a cub, it was too hard to understand those accents!

British TV comedies: The British ain't the grandmasters of cooking, but they do know how to make comedy shows.
The best in the world if you ask me.
On Dutch TV they are shown in the original language, with subtitles. So no worries about accents.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

Peeve: Cyst infections, needing to go to the A&E late at night and having to be on antibiotics...oh and CFS already making my energy non existent most of the time, but the infection adding to it where I'm just laying here exhausted. Fun times. Cheers. ❤️

Get better soon.  Sending up a Tiny prayer for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Unfortunately the UK royal family are not totally powerless. They don't stay out of politics and as you say they cost an absolute fortune like the others.

The Queen got away with it by being a friendly looking old lady most of the time but the practice of meddling in political matters won't have gone away.

It is more than interesting to discuss this matter, but unfortunately (or thankfully?) forbidden on these forums nowadays.
So let's quit this discussion to keep the thread alive.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• Moles

As Sid says, discussion of political and religious topics is off-topic for this forum.     Turning this thread into a vehicle for them is likely to get the whole thread closed.  

Please bear this in mind.     If this thread does get locked, it won't be possible to start a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I recall a Peeve brought up awhile back that some don't have a sense of humor about the language "poking" comments ("Ehrmagerd, English is being misused!"), so I for one am ready to drop comments on the "store" vs. "shop" discussion!

Peeve: It's hard to remember that those "English, Ehrmagerd!" posts are "in jest". (Innit?)

18 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

As Sid says, discussion of political and religious topics is off-topic for this forum.     Turning this thread into a vehicle for them is likely to get the whole thread closed.  

Please bear this in mind.     If this thread does get locked, it won't be possible to start a new one.

Thanks! Glad I apparently missed those!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

All this talk of breakfast and eggs reminds me...one of the best breakfasts I EVER had was the pulled pork eggs benedict at The Ruby Slipper in New Orleans...:P image.jpeg.13bdd8ddf1769d1257b82d89eae9ee4d.jpeg

Peeve: The Asian grocery was out of "vegetarian ham" loaf yesterday, which is REALLY good on Benedict! But, they had some "vegan duck" and "vegan chicken" ("Chay" is the word to look for), which I am looking forward to trying.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks! Glad I apparently missed those!

It was very mild so far, but it could be heading in the wrong direction.

I finally realized "which" posts it was due to their missing. My bad! At least they're gone. 

Yay!!

Carry on.  (Fun fact: A "Lion Airlines" would allow "Carry-on Carrion".)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

That's because those terms are American ones, not English ones.

"Department Store" came from the US. Before "Department Store", "Magazine" was used in England, derived from the French word "magasin", which is an alternative word for a grouping or collection of many different things.

Sadly, "Magazine" and "Magasin" fell out of favour in England in 1908 after a certain Mr Selfridge (an American) opened his own "Department Store" on Oxford Street in London. The French still call theirs "Magasins".

A "Hardware Store" is the US name for an Ironmongers shop. An ironmonger is a merchant, one who sells iron-related goods, tools or other heavy hardware. Other mongers include fishmongers, cheesemongers and costermongers (fruit).

A "Drug Store" is the US name for a Chemists shop, or a Pharmacy shop.

Honestly, it just depends on where you are standing in America that determines what it's called..

I'm sure in Europe things change from area to area..  We have different terms for soda also.. Some  in the south call any soda a coke, in the north it's pop and in California it could be anything ,because things change from day to day there.. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

You don't like smoothies?  😚

I do!!\o/

Peeve: It's too early to make one.. Oh wait it's not, because it's Friday and everyone is gone for the day at school and work, So not a peeve now.. hehehe

I love only working 4 days a week and  thinking Friday is Saturday and then realizing it's not.. hehehe

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I do!!\o/

Peeve: It's too early to make one.. Oh wait it's not, because it's Friday and everyone is gone for the day at school and work, So not a peeve now.. hehehe

I love only working 4 days a week and  thinking Friday is Saturday and then realizing it's not.. hehehe

For me, every day is Saturday or Sunday.

Peeve: No work at hand is as bad as too much work at hand.
But still more ++ than --

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

For me, every day is Saturday or Sunday.

Peeve: No work at hand is as bad as too much work at hand.
But still more ++ than --

I can relate to that for sure.. I was off work for a full year last year and as much as that sounds nice, it's really not.. Not when you can't really do anything.. I had a work injury with my hip getting hit by a car part thrown at it.. It was not on purpose  from the person, just an accident.. hehehe

so a lot of the time was spent in SL rather than out riding my horse or having any kind of fun.. I could not wait to get better and back to doing some sort of work.. Fortunately, I found my most favorite job I have had so far.. I just hope it lasts until I retire.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: That my back is so sore, I can't think straight, and just posted my peeve to the wrong thread! Also when I went through my budget I found I hadn't accounted for a £30 unexpected expenditure last week, so I am quite out-of-pocket now.

Peeve: Old age and poverty. 

Yup. I was having severe back pain last week too. I finally took Alieve, and that let the inflammation go down so what was probably a strained muscle could heal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

So basically, once the thread becomes a burden to the server due to its enormous size, that will be the end of it. 

No one really listens and no one cares about the damage done. I never should have gotten comfortable in the only place I have to communicate with others. Story of my life. I've never believed in fate before but now I am starting to wonder if it isn't my fate to be alone and without any meaningful human contact for life.

Crap. What a waste.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, it just depends on where you are standing in America that determines what it's called..

I'm sure in Europe things change from area to area..  We have different terms for soda also.. Some  in the south call any soda a coke, in the north it's pop and in California it could be anything ,because things change from day to day there.. lol

Carbonated, flavored sugar-water is still called soda in California. If it's naturally carbonated by fermentation, it might be kombucha though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yup. I was having severe back pain last week too. I finally took Alieve, and that let the inflammation go down so what was probably a strained muscle could heal.

I've taken ibuprofen and paracetomol. It's taken the edge off, and I'm propped up with cushions, walking like a proper old lady though. Horrible isn't it to be reminded that we are mere mortals. 

• Sad 3