51 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It helps the powers that be to justify carbon taxes. Being someone who is outside a lot and doesn't pay much attention to weather forecasts, I have noticed how many people have a false memory about how good or bad a season or year was weather wise. They remember the weather forecasts more then the actual weather.

Our weather bods bring up official recorded statistics to prove how good or bad the weather was in a particular year, but that's another peeve, that some weather forecasters actually assume we all think of the hot weather as being good, and the hotter the better, which some of us would disagree with.

43 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We don't have carbon taxes here in the US.  Do you have them? (I assume you're in Canada as I recall.)

Or, are you scare-mongering about carbon taxes?

Peeve: Discussions are so confusing!

ETA: It is literally hotter here in Florida than it was a few short years ago. It also rains less, as the standard "rain every day to cool things off" weather pattern is gone - which is very obvious.  I can no longer walk my dogs during the day - which is very obvious.  My A/C can no longer keep up - which is very obvious. 

Peeve: Not everyone sees the changes, so those of us are affected have to explain it gently and carefully!

I don't know anything about carbon taxes, but I think our (UK) planes might be subject to paying them. We've got congestion charges/taxes in some busier cities. 

Edited by Marigold Devin

Peeved that many people believe the space program(s) are useless and do not benefit us while conveniently overlooking all the everyday items we have now that came from space exploration that are used to improve our lives. Without space exploration we would not have artificial limbs, insulin pumps, water filtration, baby formula, home computers, etc.

Or would people really prefer to do without? Rhetorical question.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/08/space-race-inventions-we-use-every-day-were-created-for-space-exploration/39580591/

We compiled 30 common items that were invented for use in the race for space.

Unlike modern inventions we no longer use, these inventions are employed daily to save lives, improve environmental sustainability, and keep humans healthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peeve: Not everyone has as good weather prediction due to different technology.

My own area in Florida has very advanced "weather radar" owned by some of the regional Broadcast networks. I believe they justified it due to a history of hurricane, lightning, and heavy storms in the area.

If everyone had that type of advanced technology, maybe their weather predictions would be as good as ours here in my part of Florida.

Peeve:  Technology haves and have-nots!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My own area in Florida has very advanced "weather radar" owned by some of the regional Broadcast networks. I believe they justified it due to a history of hurricane, lightning, and heavy storms in the area.

If everyone had that type of advanced technology, maybe their weather predictions would be as good as ours here in my part of Florida.

Predicting the weather is fairly easy in some places ( Yuma AZ:  "Hot, dry").  There are places where you can be pretty safe predicting frequent thunderstorms too (much of Florida and almost all of Bangladesh).  Geography helps too.  When I lived in Iowa a long time ago, we knew that there were two common storm tracks -- one roughly northeasterly that shot Gulf air toward Minneapolis and the other easterly that threw bad weather at Chicago -- so weathermen could see storms a thousand miles away and predict which part of Iowa they would hit later in the week. 

And then there are places like New York City, which can easily get weather from almost anywhere at a moment's notice.  They get creamed by storms coming up the Atlantic coast or down from New England, or south from Ontario, or from whatever is left from whatever hit Chicago.  A forecaster needs big mojo to predict things reliably there. 

Long term forecasts are much better than they were 50 years ago, but the weather in some places is always going to be hard to predict -- even discounting climate change.  Sadly, lots of people live in some of those places and they complain more about the weather than the rest of us.  And about forecasters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Predicting the weather is fairly easy in some places ( Yuma AZ:  "Hot, dry").  There are places where you can be pretty safe predicting frequent thunderstorms too (much of Florida and almost all of Bangladesh).  Geography helps too.  When I lived in Iowa a long time ago, we knew that there were two common storm tracks -- one roughly northeasterly that shot Gulf air toward Minneapolis and the other easterly that threw bad weather at Chicago -- so weathermen could see storms a thousand miles away and predict which part of Iowa they would hit later in the week. 

And then there are places like New York City, which can easily get weather from almost anywhere at a moment's notice.  They get creamed by storms coming up the Atlantic coast or down from New England, or south from Ontario, or from whatever is left from whatever hit Chicago.  A forecaster needs big mojo to predict things reliably there. 

Long term forecasts are much better than they were 50 years ago, but the weather in some places is always going to be hard to predict -- even discounting climate change.  Sadly, lots of people live in some of those places and they complain more about the weather than the rest of us.  And about forecasters.

It's one of the things we British are known for, talking about, moaning about, the weather. Constantly. Over tea and scones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeved that many people believe the space program(s) are useless and do not benefit us while conveniently overlooking all the everyday items we have now that came from space exploration that are used to improve our lives. Without space exploration we would not have artificial limbs, insulin pumps, water filtration, baby formula, home computers, etc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/08/space-race-inventions-we-use-every-day-were-created-for-space-exploration/39580591/

My favorite is advancements of miniaturized components for computers, water filtration, and of course "freeze dried ice cream" (ok, not a "favorite" just an "also ran").

But I grew up with a "space program family", 1/4 mile from Mission Control (Johnson Space Center) in Texas - so I take a lot of the "spinoffs" for granted. 

• Like 1

I have two favourite tweets that I remember pretty much verbatim.

One was from a woman resident of SL, who simply tweeted "Why are men?"

TOTALLY unfair, misandrist, etc., and a view to which I do not subscribe, and would argue against if someone made it seriously. But it just struck me as really really funny. Maybe I'm easily amused!

The second tweet is years old now, and went viral at the time. It was from Bill Weir, a CNN anchor and journalist who specialized in climate change, and responded to a news story on a rival station that implied that unseasonable snow or something "disproved" climate change:

"Weather is not climate, you willfully ignorant f***sticks."

Which, yeah.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Agreed.  I think part of my point is, without "good" weather radar, some places won't even get good "short term weather" predictions, let along "long term".  (I realize the original Peeve was about "longer term" weather predictions.) 

This year, my phone weather app says "no rain today" then we get a short thunderstorm.  When I ask Alexa about the weather, and Alexa knows it is raining.  Peeve: Inconsistency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We don't have carbon taxes here in the US.  Do you have them? (I assume you're in Canada as I recall.)

Or, are you scare-mongering about carbon taxes?

Peeve: Discussions are so confusing!

ETA: It is literally hotter here in Florida than it was a few short years ago. It also rains less, as the standard "rain every day to cool things off" weather pattern is gone - which is very obvious.  I can no longer walk my dogs during the day - which is very obvious.  My A/C can no longer keep up - which is very obvious. 

Peeve: Not everyone sees the changes, so those of us are affected have to explain it gently and carefully!

Ì wasn't discussing climate change. Climate is changing everywhere. That was not the point.
It is the way weather forecasters present the news on TV, on websites and in newspapers.

There is a tendency to make it more spectacular than it often is IMHO. 
As an example: They used to talk about a local thunder shower possible in the past, now they come with a warning code yellow.... same local thunder shower possible.
But ZOMG a weather alarm.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Ì wasn't discussing climate change. Climate is changing everywhere. That was not the point.
It is the way weather forecasters present the news on TV, on websites and in newspapers.
There is a tendency to make it more spectacular than it often is IMHO. 

Sorry Sid, I did not mean to imply YOU were discussing climate change. Someone else mentioned it. 🙂 The Peeves are in general about "the weather" today.

If I quoted you and it appeared that I meant you were discussing climate change, I'm sorry.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I saw Quartz Mole earlier.  Apart from this thread and two others the forums are dead though.  Maybe they got an early 4th July holiday?

Peeve: I did everything except tag-a-Mole to try and get a thread closed. I think they are on "light duty".  I also suspect that the "Quartz Mole" account may be used by multiple Moles for Forum moderation.  I'm just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I did everything except tag-a-Mole to try and get a thread closed. I think they are on "light duty".  I also suspect that the "Quartz Mole" account may be used by multiple Moles for Forum moderation.  I'm just sayin'.

Peeve at why some people feel they need to have threads closed down. Seems to escape them to just not participate in it if it bothers them instead of being the top poster in it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Microwave ovens even.. hehehe

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"I'll do you one better, WHY is Gamora?"

lol , He is my most favorite marvel character.. he is so hilarious.. hehehe

Just about everything he say's has me in tears laughing.. They should have stopped trying to make all the other marvel movies like the guardians of the galaxy,, it only works for them..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

lol , He is my most favorite marvel character.. he is so hilarious.. hehehe

Just about everything he say's has me in tears laughing.. They should have stopped trying to make all the other marvel movies like the guardians of the galaxy,, it only works for them..

Fun fact: Dave Bautista improvised the line!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Fun fact: Dave Bautista improvised the line!

I don't doubt it one bit.. Him and Chris Pratt are the best thing to ever happen to marvel movies..

He's such a gentle giant.. hehehe

ETA: Also Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis.. Her and Drax are such a comedic team.. I love when they team up on Starlord.. LOL

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: Hiccups

Saw an old episode of "House, MD" recently where a patient came in and requested a specific, naughty cure for hiccups.

9 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve 2 (I may have mentioned this one before): That the block feature isn't two way.

I think you handled it well, with grace and tact.

• Thanks 1