13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do you by chance participate in "Renaissance Festivals" or similar activities, such as SCA?  

Nope. I've always wanted to check one out but there are never any close enough. Although I think we might be going to the Highland Games this year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think we might be going to the Highland Games this year.

The brawny lads who compete in things like the caber toss seem to have a build that is very different from any other brand of athlete or body builder.

And kilts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Isn't "whist" a game?

ETA: I made a great joke today about Roger Entwistle.

It made me laugh. :)  Anyway, people using 'whilst' to sound posh aren't doing quite as well as they think, since it means 'whereas'.  Sorry, English has always been a strong point for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think we might be going to the Highland Games this year.

Highland Games are a fun time, but not at all the same thing as a Renaissance Fair.  I've been to both and enjoyed them.  They share a love for costumery and role play, but a Ren Fair is truly a make-believe time while Highland Games are a cultural and athletic event. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It made me laugh. :)  Anyway, people using 'whilst' to sound posh aren't doing quite as well as they think, since it means 'whereas'.  Sorry, English has always been a strong point for me.

There's a trend lately, I'm still riffing on the fact people didn't know what "pretext" meant!

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Highland Games are a fun time, but not at all the same thing as a Renaissance Fair.  I've been to both and enjoyed them.  They share a love for costumery and role play, but a Ren Fair is truly a make-believe time while Highland Games are a cultural and athletic event. 

I know what a RenFair is. I've wanted to attend one since the 70s. I also have known what the Highland Games are for a long time since I'm married to one. lol

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
49 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Isn't "whist" a game?

A card game, yes. Similar to Euchre.

https://wikidiff.com/euchre/whist

I was sure is why I asked - didn't know "whist" was a word other than the game! 

Such whimsy, when Wham! whiles wistfully, wholly whilst they whist and whistle..you get the idea.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was sure is why I asked - didn't know "whist" was a word other than the game! 

Such whimsy, when Wham! whiles wistfully, wholly whilst they whist and whistle..you get the idea.

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Adversity build confidence during every Five Great Heavenly Interims;  Just killing lust makes no open problem, queerly. Remember to sometimes use verifications.  Welcome, xenophobic Young Zionists!

(I've had that one since 6th or 7th grade in school.)

*Edit* Regarding your "V's" - is that a quote, or did you write it yourself, as I did mine?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Sorry, asked about the V's after initially posting

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah  moving to America you'd be called an expat by many:

https://www.expatnetwork.com/moving-to-america/

I had to look it up when Love first said it to me.. hehehehe

But it also applies to Americans living abroad!  One of those weird post-war words that isn't used much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I can't help it, when anybody uses 'whilst' I think they're being snobby at first.

I'll sometimes say it when I'm being silly with someone or loud and goofy with friends..

I like to say things like Delicious or scrumptious with exaggerated feel to them, but also make it sound like my mouth is packed full while saying them.. hehehe

Then there is the morning goofy moods hehehe

Not every time but sometimes when I'm in a happy mood in the morning, I'll say silly things or sing goofy songs I make up on the spot, when I'm just bouncing through the house getting ready to make Coffee for the hubby.. Like my famous Cofeyfey song..

Anyone want cofeyfey, cause cofeyfey is on it's way way.

It's not mid dey dey, but mid dey dey is on it's way way, My Baaaaay Baaay can't move until he's had is Cooooooofeeeeyfeeeey!

Get up, I said get on up now!!

This is why I sing the cofeyfey soooooooong! \o/

I try and be as irritating and loud on some days when I waking up my family up..

I love seeing them dragging their butt down the hall while I'm all full of energy. hehehehe

They really hate when I do the tippy tippy tay tay song.. that one is all over the board and really easy to make anything rhyme with.

I have no idea why I'm just rambling.. Probably because I'm in a goofy mood  hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I dafed people from the UK for a bit. I picked up their mannerisms and speech. I am from Canada.

I will even add one better, I was in a relationship with a person from Scotland for a year and a half. I picked up their mannerisms and speech patterns. It was weird hearing a Canadian, which we already get made fun of for our accent. Talking with semi scottish speech. Lol. So insert line that sounds very scottish and then add an eh at the end. I confused my dad and ex roommate for the longest time. Lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Adversity build confidence during every Five Great Heavenly Interims;  Just killing lust makes no open problem, queerly. Remember to sometimes use verifications.  Welcome, xenophobic Young Zionists!

(I've had that one since 6th or 7th grade in school.)

*Edit* Regarding your "V's" - is that a quote, or did you write it yourself, as I did mine?

79075086.jpg

• Like 2

Wow. I don't think they even read the OP before they yoinked it. 

It peeves me that LL doesn't think discussing the pros and cons of SL vs OS is appropriate. It also peeves me that they are correct because all it takes is one idiot to ruin the discussion for everyone. But anyway, if the OP looks here, they'll know to do a little research.

• Like 2