Is Costal Water community use or Private Property?

Roary McGillivary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I know there are individuals and groups who do contact land owners to try and persuade (bully) them into opening their water to travellers.  The land owner is under no obligation to acquiesce.  Some do, some don't.  

Yes and it's this behaviour that is abhorrent.  Exerting pressure on or bullying anyone is not acceptable under any circumstances.  Unfortunately it's difficult to get action against those kinds of behaviours.  I see them as no better than groups like the JLU.

• Thanks 2

• Moles

Things are getting rather heated. 

May I suggest that, if you think something is obstructing a public waterway, the best course of action is to AR it in world and let Governance deal with it?  

Arguing here about what people should or shouldn't do isn't getting anyone anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10

@Quartz Mole I wanted to close this thread several posts ago, but I don't see where or how to. And just so that it is known, I never "yelled at or harrased" the land owner, I asked if they could reset the orb to allow me or others time enough to pass. As it turned out it was a subdivided parcel Which meant a different owner. from now on I've decided that these spaces are to just be avoided. 

SO Please, Im sorry to have brought this up, I just wanted to have some conversation about it. I guess this is why I most of the time avoid the forum. To much Drama. 

• Like 3

• Moles
1 hour ago, Roary McGillivary said:

@Quartz Mole I wanted to close this thread several posts ago, but I don't see where or how to. And just so that it is known, I never "yelled at or harrased" the land owner, I asked if they could reset the orb to allow me or others time enough to pass. As it turned out it was a subdivided parcel Which meant a different owner. from now on I've decided that these spaces are to just be avoided. 

SO Please, Im sorry to have brought this up, I just wanted to have some conversation about it. I guess this is why I most of the time avoid the forum. To much Drama. 

We don't normally close threads on request, I'm afraid.  

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, Roary McGillivary said:

It's an ongoing whine by the self entitled brigade about "how they've the right to go anywhere" and how in fact they don't. That's even made clear by LL.

You aren't the first, and won't be the last, to run crying to the forums about it.

As we say in the UK, keep a stuff upper lip, and move on.

In a way, I share your frustration about ban lines along water routes... I bought a lovely parcel on Wakely (which is a very nicely maintained/decorated region). The parcel had a bit of water access and I parked a boat off a small pier and set off to go sailing. To my dismay I ran into ban lines .. did not see them until it was too late.. and my boat "broke" in that the scripts stopped working and I couldnt move it after editing it away from the ban lines. I went back to my parcel, rezzed another boat and start sailing again, careful to avoid that area -- and hit another set of ban lines.. even though I did not think I was sailing particularly close to the shore. So I went back and tried it again... same problem. 

Now I am not a particularly skilled sailor and it may be that experienced boat operator have the skills to avoid the problems I ran into. But for my humble skills, I decided this area is not sail-able.

Am  I upset with the property owners who had ban lines up? No, of course not. It is their private property and it is not their fault that LL decided to make that area not a protected region. But yea, it was frustrating to try and sail there because I am not a very skilled sailor and I kept running into ban lines and breaking my boat.

However, I found a solution ... one that may not be available to everyone but worked for me. I just had a birthday and used birthday gift money to buy another parcel on the other side of the dam with direct access to sea of Fables. The area is not nearly as pretty as Wakely, but I can sail from there to my hearts content.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

In a way, I share your frustration about ban lines along water routes... I bought a lovely parcel on Wakely (which is a very nicely maintained/decorated region). The parcel had a bit of water access and I parked a boat off a small pier and set off to go sailing. To my dismay I ran into ban lines .. did not see them until it was too late.. and my boat "broke" in that the scripts stopped working and I couldnt move it after editing it away from the ban lines. I went back to my parcel, rezzed another boat and start sailing again, careful to avoid that area -- and hit another set of ban lines.. even though I did not think I was sailing particularly close to the shore. So I went back and tried it again... same problem. 

Now I am not a particularly skilled sailor and it may be that experienced boat operator have the skills to avoid the problems I ran into. But for my humble skills, I decided this area is not sail-able.

Am  I upset with the property owners who had ban lines up? No, of course not. It is their private property and it is not their fault that LL decided to make that area not a protected region. But yea, it was frustrating to try and sail there because I am not a very skilled sailor and I kept running into ban lines and breaking my boat.

However, I found a solution ... one that may not be available to everyone but worked for me. I just had a birthday and used birthday gift money to buy another parcel on the other side of the dam with direct access to sea of Fables. The area is not nearly as pretty as Wakely, but I can sail from there to my hearts content.

You're more than welcome to moor a reasonable prim boat at my gallery/wharf shopping area with direct Blake access (through a lovely marina area) and sail from there anytime you like.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2022 at 2:59 PM, Teresa Firelight said:

In a way, I share your frustration about ban lines along water routes... I bought a lovely parcel on Wakely (which is a very nicely maintained/decorated region).

I presume you can get out of Wakely fine, because there are no banlines there - unless you have somehow got listed on the rental companies exclusion list. If the latter then I would send a message to the owner of the group apologise for whatever transgression might have got you there and ask if they can remove you.

If as I presume you are getting out on to the main water there you should be able to get to Farwell and the observatory without a problem, and the open water around there. If you are then continuing down the next river I had a look along it and am not seeing any banlines, although there are some security orbs in Cranberry that with lag could result in a problem. On one side instead of their banlines they have replaced them with invisible prims and an orb, the timing for the orb should be sufficient to edit out of them, but the edit option does always seem to be slower to come up when you need it to than normal.

The deep sea waterway, is much less oppressive for security now than it used to be, you have a nice little parcel for access to it. Hold on to it while you can, as you get better sailing you will find those rivers easier to navigate and be able to get to the far end at Duck with its underwater features, even if you never get that far it is always nice to be able to travel over to the observatory in Farwell to explore there. 

Note the Minimap is your friend sailing rivers. Bring it up with Ctrl Shift M and R-Click to show property lines.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Note the Minimap is your friend sailing rivers. Bring it up with Ctrl Shift M and R-Click to show property lines.

thanks for the hint on showing property lines!

I dont know how I managed to do it.. but I ran into banlines of parcels bordering the protected ocean 3 times in a row at three different locations. As I said, I am not the most skilled sailor... and probably something experts can easily avoid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

thanks for the hint on showing property lines!

I dont know how I managed to do it.. but I ran into banlines of parcels bordering the protected ocean 3 times in a row at three different locations. As I said, I am not the most skilled sailor... and probably something experts can easily avoid.

I wouldn't normally get that close to the land when sailing around open water, I would stick to the open regions and cam across if something was of interest, the fewer region crossings you do the better. So I never thought to look there for banlines. The mini-map will help a lot with seeing the region you are in and its boundaries and help minimise unnecessary region crossings. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.