Every time I log on I'm a cloud - Extended

Tasha Hawklord

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Every time I log on now I am just the grey cloud. I have tried clearing cache, being in Smith for ages, different browsers - Second Life Viewer 2 and Phoenix, and even a friends PC and connection, all with no change. It did happen ages ago, and cleared itself after about two weeks. My net connection is pretty good for all other applications, but have also tried killing the router connection etc. Cannot think of anything else to try at the moment?

Thanks for the advice everyone, and the welcome. Everything is now ok, sitting in Smith for several hours whilst I went out seems to have done the trick.

A sort of sub question would be how do you avoid this happening in the future?

5 answers to this question

When you clear cache and relog into Smith or Pooley, do you wait until your inventory has completely reloaded? This is very important. Once you have done that and, if you are still a cloud, try to rebake (Ctl-Alt-R) or do a character test (under Advanced). I will send you a folder inworld. Click on this folder and REPLACE OUTFIT so all the items are loaded onto your avatar at once. You should rez. This should be done only AFTER your inventory has completely reloaded. Please be patient.

• Like 1

Hello Tasha and welcome to SL Forums. Did you try to test your avatar? In Viewer 2 give the command: Menu Develop (Ctrl+Alt+Q) --> Avatar --> Character Tests --> Test Male / Female. In Phoenix it is under Menu Advanced, Character, Character Tests and Test Male / Female. If it works you will see your avatar like a newbie but after you can change again outfit wearing your favorite one.

If it doesn't work, give one more try to clear your cache manually but for all your viewers:

(Vista) and (Win 7) - C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife and
C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

Log out and delete everything in those folders and restart first your computer and after the program. Usually the folder Appdata is a hidden folder. (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)

If you have installed more viewers in your computer do the same for all of them following the same "paths" in your hard disk, even you use them occasionally.

After that (i repeat restart your computer) and log in a protected land without lag like Smith, Lime or Pooley. There open your inventory, type something in search there and wait fetching ALL your items till the last one. That means you get back, you download your inventory. During the downloading you avoid to do something else like teleporting, moving, chatting etc and also is good not to run other applications. When it finishes, try to change outfit choosing one with just the necessary stuff (skin, shape, hair, eyes, pants and shirt) without any attachments.

Good luck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.