[SOLVED] Importing Messed up my 3D Model?

mnp2357

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well... I decided to try making accessories, and it is not going well. I decided to make some glasses, and I used the avatar workbench model as a point of reference for and such, but apparently that was a mistake. Luckily I'm only 26L in the hole, but I won't be trying again until I know what the heck went wrong.

First Pic is in Blender

c3e3a051fc28835f3170c97bbc9936fc.png.e1529e996e4a9604a606c4979c72d176.png

Second is in Firestorm preview

15d8ade2d5cde092eb6aa1e7e57eb453.thumb.png.128d048e5e66331168b98c688b0385d6.png

and the final one is the item when attached to my avatar.

0ad47e3fce1b34feeea50b7d43cf9f44.png.8356b80087cf3e5656160bf150e7cdb6.png

Edited by mnp2357
Solved!

The biggest thing to know here is that you need to JOIN all the pieces to make one larger mesh. You have small parts that are smaller than the limit for Second Life and so the uploader makes them larger.   So get all the pieces as you want them then JOIN them into one mesh and try again. 

Also there is no reason your mesh should  cost 26 lindens to upload. 11 or 12 is "normal". This may be because of the linset rather than the single mesh. I almost never upload linksets so can't really say. 

That's also too many triangle for what you are making IMO but the other is more important  :D.

Good luck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

The biggest thing to know here is that you need to JOIN all the pieces to make one larger mesh. You have small parts that are smaller than the limit for Second Life and so the uploader makes them larger.   So get all the pieces as you want them then JOIN them into one mesh and try again. 

Also there is no reason your mesh should  cost 26 lindens to upload. 11 or 12 is "normal". This may be because of the linset rather than the single mesh. I almost never upload linksets so can't really say. 

That's also too many triangle for what you are making IMO but the other is more important  :D.

Good luck. 

ah ok so join them into one object in blender instead of the couple of separate pieces it is rn? also, should i make it bigger? i sized it to fit the avatar workbench model, but when uploaded at unmodified scale, it came out that tiny lol q.q

i think i saw a tutorial for a quick way to reduce triangles in blender, so maybe i will do that also. im very new to make 3D objects. this took me like a week x D

Edited by mnp2357

6 hours ago, mnp2357 said:

ah ok so join them into one object in blender instead of the couple of separate pieces it is rn? also, should i make it bigger? i sized it to fit the avatar workbench model, but when uploaded at unmodified scale, it came out that tiny lol q.q

i think i saw a tutorial for a quick way to reduce triangles in blender, so maybe i will do that also. im very new to make 3D objects. this took me like a week x D

I don't know anything about your modeling software but yes, uploading the size you want is a good plan. You can actually enlarge the model DURING the upload process on one of the tabs, but would be good to figure out how big things need to be in your program :D.   

We all started somewhere.  I learned here a decade ago right here on the forums. It takes time!

poco a poco (little by little)  :SwingingFriends:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Good luck. 

While i don't know why the bridge of the glasses looks so stretched. I do upload many of my models without joining their parts and never had any problem with stretching, it's quite useful especially for building homes, like a door, the wood body and its lockset or the typical blanket people like to put on top of a couch or even the pillow. Pretty much anything you may want to move or hide in the future. 

9 hours ago, mnp2357 said:

Well... I decided to try making accessories, and it is not going well. I decided to make some glasses, and I used the avatar workbench model as a point of reference for and such, but apparently that was a mistake. Luckily I'm only 26L in the hole, but I won't be trying again until I know what the heck went wrong.

First Pic is in Blender

Second is in Firestorm preview

15d8ade2d5cde092eb6aa1e7e57eb453.thumb.png.128d048e5e66331168b98c688b0385d6.png

You may want to try lowering the "Lowest" triangles down to 0, and maybe "Low" too, depending on your result. I read somewhere else that "Lowest" and "Low" lod are the ones that impact the most on your LI and upload fee. It's a very small model... No one will be able to see you are wearing glasses from far away, it will be just a mere dot on the screen anyway.

1 hour ago, GreyLasagna said:

While i don't know why the bridge of the glasses looks so stretched.

The minimum Bounding Box,  X Y Z dimensions for a mesh object is 0.01  x 0.01 x 0.01m.

If you try to upload a mesh object with one or more dimension less than 10mm then you will find that the uploader automatically stretches the model along those axis so that it complies with the 10mm minimum.

There are ways around this by artificially increasing the BB dimensions but in this case Chic is correct in suggesting that the various objects that make up the glasses should be joined to be a single object in Blender before uploading to SL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreyLasagna said:

While i don't know why the bridge of the glasses looks so stretched. I do upload many of my models without joining their parts and never had any problem with stretching, it's quite useful especially for building homes, like a door, the wood body and its lockset or the typical blanket people like to put on top of a couch or even the pillow. Pretty much anything you may want to move or hide in the future. 

You may want to try lowering the "Lowest" triangles down to 0, and maybe "Low" too, depending on your result. I read somewhere else that "Lowest" and "Low" lod are the ones that impact the most on your LI and upload fee. It's a very small model... No one will be able to see you are wearing glasses from far away, it will be just a mere dot on the screen anyway.

Yeah, I know a little bit about LOD from my days of making frankenmeshes and hair conversions for Sims 4, but I wasn't too sure how much was really needed... :'D This makes sense tho lol. I will nuke the lower LODs.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I don't know anything about your modeling software but yes, uploading the size you want is a good plan. You can actually enlarge the model DURING the upload process on one of the tabs, but would be good to figure out how big things need to be in your program :D.   

We all started somewhere.  I learned here a decade ago right here on the forums. It takes time!

poco a poco (little by little)  :SwingingFriends:

Yes, that's why I'm a little frustrated the size is wrong, bc I used the models from Avatar workbench, but it looks like it probably needs to be 4x larger or so 😖 Blender is a basic, free 3D software used very often, especially by noobs, but it's also used by a lot of plugins and softwares like Sims4Studio and Avastar!

1 hour ago, Aquila Kytori said:

The minimum Bounding Box,  X Y Z dimensions for a mesh object is 0.01  x 0.01 x 0.01m.

If you try to upload a mesh object with one or more dimension less than 10mm then you will find that the uploader automatically stretches the model along those axis so that it complies with the 10mm minimum.

There are ways around this by artificially increasing the BB dimensions but in this case Chic is correct in suggesting that the various objects that make up the glasses should be joined to be a single object in Blender before uploading to SL.

These limits are actually why I decided to make it in blender! I tried initially to just use build tools, but it couldnt create the fine details I wanted. I should have guessed something like this might happen, but tbh I'm such a noob I didn't realize it was going to upload as linkset and not a single mesh object >_>;

It's only about 8 pieces, so joining it is no problem. Since the finished product is larger than the bounding box, it will stop stretching it if it's all one mesh? That makes sense.

Thank you all of you for the tips! This makes sense. I just woke up now, so time for a poco coffee, but then I will sit down and try all of this, then let you know how it goes : D

2 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

That makes a lot of sense. I've never uploaded something that tiny. I will keep that in mid. 👍

1 hour ago, mnp2357 said:

Yes, that's why I'm a little frustrated the size is wrong, bc I used the models from Avatar workbench, but it looks like it probably needs to be 4x larger or so

The models in Avatar workbench are the correct size.

If your model is too small when it is rezzed in world then the most common cause is that the objects scale in Blender has not been applied.

To check this, in Blender > Object mode >  select your (joined) model > open the N side panel and have a look at the scale values. They should all be indicating a scale of 1.000

Example of scale not applied:

1-min.thumb.png.933192012cb6c93562f7071886f2a77a.png

If the X Y Z scale are not at 1.00 then open the Apply menu with CTRL + A and choose the All Transforms option.

Example of scale applied:

2-min.thumb.png.d3e9000a154a4ddadd89b8f187c1c385.png

As a general rule, in Blender, Apply Scale and Rotation before using any modifiers or UV unwrapping etc. The All Transforms option applies both at the same time.

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mnp2357 said:

Luckily I'm only 26L in the hole,

SL has a testing grid (Aditi) where uploads are free. You will still be charged an upload fee but the L$'s used on this Beta testing grid are only pretend L$'s and will not be deducted from the amount you have on the main grid (Agni).

Check out these 2 links for a  "how to ..........."  :

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

Edited by Aquila Kytori
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquila Kytori said:

SL has a testing grid (Aditi) where uploads are free. You will still be charged an upload fee but the L$'s used on this Beta testing grid are only pretend L$'s and will not be deducted from the amount you have on the main grid (Agni).

Ooooh interesting... I will have to try this. It seems very handy. And ty for the tips about size!! that's definitely the problem x D I can see I have a lot to learn about changing the sizes of the basic shapes so that won't happen lol.

Well, team!! I joined it to one piece, reduced the triangles and LODs, fixed the scale issue...

PROS

- It worked! There was no weird warping of my mesh. Everything was the right proportions and such.
- It was only 11L to upload B) That's much cheaper.

CONS

- It still came out tiny as before, idk why :'D But it was easy to fix with SL's scale tools!! I'm using Blender 2.7 for reasons of compatibility with Sims 4 Studio, so maybe somehow that messed it up.
- Design-wise, it doesn't look perfect or fully realistic, but considering it's my second mesh from scratch ever, I can't complain lolol.

Now I'll make some glass, get some texture, and then it's ready for sale!! B)

a9fb0c62cfa01e44ffb81e2690470ae9.png.adf1e9c7006482422de1de0e79e1807a.png

Edited by mnp2357
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• mnp2357 changed the title to [SOLVED] Importing Messed up my 3D Model?
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.