A Charity Day for SL

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please reply and tell if you would like a charity day for SL.  I was thinking one day a month, say the 5th of each month ('cause people need to pay their bills first).

It could be a lot of fun to see how much charity we bestow on each other one day a month.  I'm thinking of this to help out some newbies, but SL Charity day would be for everyone and anyone you wish to bestow some charity upon with lindens only, not freebies transfer stuff.   If all one has to share is 5 lindens, that's fine.  It's whatever you have to give.

What's your opinion on this charity day idea, fun or not fun? 

We'd need something created for SL charity day, like a t-shirt or something that says It's Second Life Charity Day.

No, the t-shirts would have to be free on Marketplace only; one for male avi's and a cute one for female avi's so no one can take advantage of the t-shirt idea.  So free t-shirts only, and if the t-shirts are free, how could someone take advantage? 

i'm with phil on this one while it's a great idea we have no way of knowing if this is going to a real charity or lining someones coffers with great L$ wealth 
there is charity stuff inworld with Relay for Life donation terminals and vendor boards if i'm not mistaken residents may choose to have Relay for Life charity events 
just recently the Lindens did a special charity Linden bear to raise money for the Japan earth quake 

I understand this idea could have a lot of variables, but my thinking is along the lines of first just giving to whoever you want, it doesn't have to be a newbie, though newbies were the first thing in my mind because they may want to buy something other than the general free stuff, like saving money for a good skin or hair. 

ETA:  Or you could just bestow your best friend with some lindens.  It's a whatever you want to whomever you want to give some lindens too.  I don't like the transfer idea because it could transfer some viruses.  It sounds better if it's lindens only; I want to bypass some griefers here who might try to transfer corrupted items, that's why I say lindens only. 

Ahm.. there are a lot of charities running in SL, check, for example Relay for Life / Sail For Life / Dog Care initiatives by VKC / Linden Bears for Japan... etc etc..

If you want to spend money on a Newbie, get your Newbie and give / tutor / equip him or her.

Who would admin, how many each one gets? What use would that be?

I'd understood your post as meaning that money would be collected each month into a central coffer, and distributed to avatars that needed it. It's that distribution to avatars that could be abused. Which avatars? And how is it known that they actually need it rather just just fancy a bit of free money?

From my experience in giving free money away via (legal) camping earlier this year, I know that people abuse such things by having multiple avatars, some of which are very new. At one time, one person was occupying 5 of the 8 chairs, and he would have occupied more if other people hadn't been on them.

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

just recently the Lindens did a special charity Linden bear to raise money for the Japan earth quake 

And that was a mess. I tried to buy the most expensive bear for that cause but LL haven't yet managed to create a working marketplace and the purchase failed in some way. I didn't try again because, since it's LL's system, I could have ended up with more bears/donations than I intended. I wasn't the only one either - there were a number threads saying the same thing..

No, no central anything.  You could just give to your best friend for example if you wanted too.   Like for instance, it's a secret to you only who you gave too.  You can just give to one person if that's all you have to share, even 5 lindens for example.

Maybe we could call it SL Surprise Day?  hmmmmmmmm?  Doesn't seem like anyone likes this idea.  I thought it sounded fun because it's a surprise. 

ETA: But no transfer stuff would be allowed 'cuz I'm afraid someone would make something corrupted, then try to transfer it. That's, again, why I say lindens only. 

Well, I do. 

See here's the deal:  Okay, if you send someone some lindens because you want to be charitable, some avatars might think you are trying to hit on them or something, when all you are doing is wanting to be charitable. 

Maybe someone could make a free t-shirt that avatars could wear when they want to hand out some free lindens, 'cuz strangers could get the wrong idea if you shoot them some lindens.  Like I said, they might think you are trying to hit on them, and having open a lot of IM's crashes my system sometimes... so IM'ing strangers that you are just being charitable is kind of a pain.  But I need to do that in order to let them know I'm just being charitable, no strings attached, etc. 

So, I'm trying to think of a better idea on how to do this so people don't get the wrong idea and also to avoid the IM'ing that it's a charity gift. 

Oh well, thread not going well.

1) There are freebie places all over SL and on the Marketplace for people that want free things.  (charity)

2) There are places inworld for avatars to get $L for free.  

3)  Anyone who is in SL, even if they have no $L, is already living privileged life of luxury compared to much of the world. 

Finally, and I am quite serious about this, IF anyone reading this thread actually wants to participate in an act of charity, look at the RL tab on my inworld profile and go to those links.  

I will also post them here:     http://www.can-do.org/

No, no scammers, 'cuz each person is their own moderator of their lindens and it's your own secret.  No one will know how much you gave nor who you gave it to, except you yourself. 

Something that could possibly be done in the future is to have some of your linden account set to charity, then when you hand out lindens as a charity gift, it would say to the person receiving it CHARITY GIFT JUST FOR YOU... or something like that....?

For those of you who want to do this, rather than t-shirts, couldn't a donation function be made (if one doesn't already exist)? Under the pay option, a donation button, maybe. It'd send the lindens along with a message, such as "____ wants to donate ____ simply because you're awesome." Something like that.

It's redundant, though. They could just add a message function to the pay button, where you type in why you're paying, and it shows up in your transaction history as a description.

I go to Freebie Beach sometimes, or an info hub, or my own group, Virtual Ability's orientation course and give lindens out when it moves me to do so. Or if I see someone longing for something they can't afford, and I can I'll drop the lindens on them. But it's my dime my time. I'd never want it to be a set day.

Treasure

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this idea, thought of it or has a registered patent on it...BUT, you could use this day to also give a shout out to real life charities. The idea is that many people would become mindful of charities in general. So, they get a free T-Shirt or whatever item for free and then in the product description, the box the item is in and any media that is associated with the event they can put a personal message pointing to a charity OR a link to something neutral that helps people find charities.

No one says you have to give to avatars and lose, it can be used to help those people be mindful. They might not have much, but when they are out they may encounter a person collecting coins or some other easy way they can help...heck, maybe they simply smile and have a warmer feeling toward a neighbour who borrows a cup of flour all the time!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.