Intermittent freezing issues.

Aparoidedation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been having an intermittent freezing issue that has been really annoying me for months.

Primary viewer: Firestorm 64 6.6.3 
Viewers also effected: Previous FS versions. Official viewer. Catznip. (Prior builds on both, don't remember numbers off top of head)

System Info:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RX 5700XT (Also happened under a GTX 970 as well)
RAM: 32GB
Storage viewers installed on: M.2 SSD 1TB

Issue:
Viewer will at times hang, windows will report viewer as not responding. After a variable amount of time from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes, it will come back, but often when it does it has been long enough that the simulator has not received communication from my viewer for long enough that the simulator terminates my login session, I guess thinking I DC'd. I have tried opening another window and minimizing the hung window repeatedly. Not sure if this actually is doing anything, but it at least feels like it is. It does seem to happen more often when I open up dialog boxes such as user profiles, and especially the texture change window when changing textures on objects. But it also happens when just hanging out on the grid. I see no pattern to these random instances other than it happening more often on crowded regions.

If I have two instance of the viewer running, only one will hang. The other will not. This leads me to believe that this is not related to GPU drivers or similar.

This is a pretty beefy system, and I am no where near maxing out any resources when the viewer locks-up.

Things I have tried:
- Clean Reinstall
- Making sure viewers are excluded from AV (Please note I have already gone through a session of AV related troubleshooting. I am quite confident that the issue is NOT AV at this point)
- GPU and chipset driver updates
- Running viewer alone without other software running
- Issue even persisted after an unrelated OS reinstall
- Different graphics cards, one AMD, one NVIDIA
- Different viewers and viewer versions

I did have someone suggest in a Firestorm support chat that it might be hanging trying to access a cache or a log file. But I had nothing suggested how to test that beyond the before-mention AV troubleshooting.

All your issues, especially since the problem affects all Viewers, leads me to think that your freezes and hanging incidents may be caused by your anti-virus software scanning elements of the viewer.

The Firestorm wiki has some useful information about how to white-list important executables and various folders pertaining to the viewer(s).  I see that you say you have done this but I am equally convinced that the AV scanning is at the root of your problem.

I cannot copy the relevant url right now but if you need it I will post it in the (Uk) morning.

I also assume that your  computer is hardwired to the router and not WiFi.

Edited by Aishagain

I already checked AV exclusions and went through an AV-related troubleshooting session. It did include going through that article you speak of.

Also, the pattern of freezing doesn't match the scans my AV does.

I am pretty confident is is not AV.

Edited by Aparoidedation

I think the Viewer is recovering because its getting disconnected, thus breaking out and ending whatever it is that is causing the Viewer to freeze in the first place. I've seen this in the past. These are very rare special cases, something that needs to be so extremely specific, something probably not coming from the Viewer itself directly unless it is an infinite while/for loop that is skipped/broken out of when the Viewer detects that it has been disconnected, another thing i could think of would be your log files, you might want to check your log files when that happens, the Viewer might be spamming an incredible amount of log entries (we are talking hundreds of megabytes in a couple seconds, up to gigabytes of log data) which can cause the Viewer to stall to a point it doesn't recover until the situation is solved (e.g a disconnect breaking you out of whatever function or loop that is causing this spam).

You can find your logs in:

C:\Users\PCNAME\AppData\Roaming\VIEWERNAME\logs

ViewerName.log

and 

ViewerName.old

I've also been having freezing issues for many months. Only using Firestorm. It has definitely improved, means, in the past the viewer would often hang up to 1-2 minutes, whereas nowadays it freezes mostly for ~10-20 seconds. Nowadays also the freezes only seem to happen when opening profiles (randomly).

Just like with the original poster, freeze may happen in viewer instance 1, and viewer instance 2 just keeps behaving normally.

Edited by pixlcake

Does the viewer purge the logs on every start? The logs I'm seeing are in the kilobytes in size. Either way, I'll be sure to see if the logs are filling up next time it happens.

I have not tried moving the cache to another storage, I suppose I could try that, though I have not noticed any other issues with my system that would indicate something up with that SSD.

C:\Users\WinLoginName\AppData\Roaming (you may need to enable hidden folders).

Rename the Firestorm_x64 and/or Secondlife folder to Firestorm_x64.bak or Secondlife.bak

This will reset the viewer to first install condition. Try from there to rule out bad or corrupt viewer settings.

15 hours ago, Aparoidedation said:

Does the viewer purge the logs on every start? The logs I'm seeing are in the kilobytes in size. Either way, I'll be sure to see if the logs are filling up next time it happens.

I have not tried moving the cache to another storage, I suppose I could try that, though I have not noticed any other issues with my system that would indicate something up with that SSD.

The Viewer will first clear the old .old file, then rename the current .log file to .old and create a new .log file. There is only ever 2 files at all times, the currently running session (or one you had before closing) and the one before that.

I'd be interested to see a bug report (https://jira.firestormviewer.org) from someone willing to send us their settings. 

I've seen a couple of people (and it does seem to be a tiny minority) reporting unusual stalling (on hardware that you'd not expect it) and it is frequently resolved by a full settings wipe. It would be interesting to work out what combination of settings (and probably hardware) is causing this unexpected behaviour as it might allow us to do something about it. 

On the plus side, a wipe seems to resolve it, on the other hand, not knowing what weird combination is causing this means it might come back as you set things back to your liking.

17 minutes ago, Monty Linden said:

If this is happening with the SL viewer, would love to get a Jira with a log file covering any stall.

I've had one person with whom this has repeated on default viewer. @Whirly Fizzlemay have more info. That one was slightly different though as it seems to be able to be triggered at a location. The number of people affected seems to be a small handful and so far I've only seen it reported on FS, but with such a small number affected that does not rule things out one way or the other.

8 hours ago, Monty Linden said:

If this is happening with the SL viewer, would love to get a Jira with a log file covering any stall.

It's mostly Firestorm, though it did happen in an older build of the official viewer. I suppose I could try the latest and see if I can get it to happen again there.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.