Which continent am I on?

Miyuki Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This is an open script so I made a hand held and a rezzable version of the Continent Locator which you can get here in Ross at Memory Bazaar.

Found it! Grabbed it! Thank you!  When I have a ton more time,, I will go back and look at everything carefully. It's a step into the past, in some ways, Prokofy...a nice step.

• Like 1

• Moles
On 9/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Couldn't the Moles put a phantom prim above an adjacent ocean region with the name of the Continent on it?  1 Land Impact.

If you mean like how people do sky signs on the world map it would be slightly more complicated than that. A "texture on a prim" does not display on the world map. The signs you see there are made up of colored prims. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have known for years, that residents has made various scripts to find out the continent name.

And I am very happy for that. But I will not use them, because I am angry with SL, because it is something SL should have on the map. Those fix-its is good to have, but again...

The only excuse for not using the continent name on the map, would be that it is too complicated and would break the map. Then I shut up asking for it.

I will not break SL or keep a team of moles busy to get the continent name there. They have more important things to do. If it is an easy job, and SL just will not do it "because reasons", then I complain. Not that it will help. 

On 10/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, Abnor Mole said:

"texture on a prim" does not display on the world map. The signs you see there are made up of colored prims. 

I don't understand. Colored prims? At the risk of outing myself as a perp, I have several "texture on a prim" Ukraine flags visible on the World Map. I like to think my Ukraine sky tags of support are more meaningful that the giant red hearts in a black box one can see all over SL. All due respect, Abnor..and I mean that. I love moles, I really really do. My life in SL is better by far because of the great things you lovely critters do for us. But...pleeeeze don't make me take down my Ukraine sky tags!

On 9/30/2022 at 12:17 PM, diamond Marchant said:

I have a general idea of where SL continents are but have some border confusion in the Satori/Nautilus/Corsica areas.

Are you implying that MY SL is akin to Disneyland? Harumph! And Boy Howdy! It makes me happy to think of SL as a world similar to the Earth and to suspend disbelief whenever humanly possible. ...ok, i love you anyway...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

I don't understand. Colored prims? At the risk of outing myself as a perp, I have several "texture on a prim" Ukraine flags visible on the World Map.

Coloured prims aren't the same as textured prims. For example, you can make words using prims then tint them a specific colour - that will show on the world map just fine, but if you just rezz a giant prim and apply a texture to it with text or an image - that won't work.

This pic below, on the world map it looks like one big texture, but in fact what it is is a pile of tinted prims all joined together:

prims.png

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
added pic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Coloured prims aren't the same as textured prims

Hands the lovely Brit back her extra U. What I was talking about is a prim with the "texture" or photo/illustration of a flag (Ukraine flag) with two colors on it...phantom, visible on top, invisible underneath. It works, I have several in place. It's all about words and terminology, I guess. I'm just feeling a tad confused...but then, I usually do under the best of circumstances and right now it's bed time. Thank you for responding!

• Moles

This is what is meant by a "sky sign". It is two prims linked together. One is yellow. The other is blue. There is no texture on the surface, just a color tint on the top with the remaining sides set to fully transparent. It must be below 400m in the air to display on the world map. These sort of objects are not allowed under the Bellisseria covenant, but are allowed on Mainland. 

13e4ce0d30ef196f79c91f40046ed512.png

For SLB last year the Lindens were able to put a graphic of the SLB logo on a map tile over a void region. That may be one way to do it, but I cannot say if they are open to that idea for continent names or not. However, that would probably be a preferable method over any sort of floating prims above the land or sea.

• Like 2

Why not just memorize the name of the continents like in RL?  There aren't many of them.  In any case, the names are only to make it easy to mention them to other people, we could just say "the bullseye continent", "the fishhook continent", "the continent with the snowlands", "the unfinished northern continent" etc..

That said, it is surprisingly hard to find a free readable map you can place in-world, and most are more than a decade old (so Bellisseria isn't there).  They all tend to leave out the Sharp continent and they don't feature commonly referenced areas like the Sea of Fables, Horizons, etc., but they do tend to point out the Blake Sea, the Snowlands, and Bay City.

- When I was new, the first map I found was Aley's "SLestrial Globe" [sic] (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SLestrial-Globe-10-prims/6258051 ) which has this old map:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Antique-Nautical-SL-Old-World-Map/6256555 which also mentions the Nocera islands (old Linden housing).

- You see this 2009 map all over the grid, but the Second Life Wiki search engine doesn't turn it up unless you already know where to look:  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Road_Network_Directory  Well, there's always Google Images....

Edited by LibGwen

On 10/6/2022 at 2:34 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe, "just"...show the continent names on the map..? I'm dumb!

Maybe something like this. The only area I know how to spell in SL is bellisseria, oh (and horizons) lol but I think one is sansara? There's others lots of others. No long term name recognition for me. I've only been mall rating sl for close to 4 years. 

Maybe something more like this for official map overlay at like 390 meters and for people who want to advertise should be official supplies offered to do so and use at 400 meters. 

map.jpg

61BcUCVMLEL.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe with slight tweak to the map system the map there could be multiple maps, world map showing future planned construction areas. Custom map overlays showing bookmarked landmarks collected. 

The map is the most powerful tool and should always be updated and interesting. Should know where all public spaces are with a click. 

The current SL raw map looks better than anything I could do organically, however, it screams dated and chaotic.

cha·ot·ic

[kāˈädik]

ADJECTIVE

in a state of complete confusion and disorder:

"a chaotic jumble of spools, tapes, and books"

synonyms:

disorderly · disordered · in disorder · in chaos · in disarray · disorganized · topsy-turvy · haywire · confused · in pandemonium · in turmoil · tumultuous · 

[more]

--------

Would not be changing in any way the official map but making some sort of overlay system to overlay over the official map. Interactive, Customizable, Helpful, Useful, Commercial. 

• Haha 1

I think I watched this way too many times. 

I was just trying to focus in world on something and kept looking at the map. Maybe for new people make the map button really stand out with improved mapping overlays and have a bunch of AI randomly picked learning tasks (something for new people to do to help learn) on a random map they receive when they start sl. That would avoid trolling areas new people are expected to go to. Maybe dedicate a few hundred regions for this. Retention prolly go way up. At the end of learning give more than a hair piece. maybe a nice horse or yacht, maybe starter maps based on interest. The "map maker" could build a starter map based on interests. Maybe map maker could create maps to help teach scripting, prim building? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.