Mesh piercing phasing through body

atyid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made a mesh stomach piercing, however every place I attach it on the body, with my AO it phases through the body. The piercing's design doesn't work with the planes/textures approach to piercings.

Is this an unsolvable issue with unrigged stomach piercings? I can't afford Avastar to rig it, however if there's an alternative I'd be incredibly thankful to hear about it. Rigging would be ideal.

The answer is yes, you need to rig it.   And you dont necesarily need Avastar for rigging, you can do all that Avastar does manually, but it is a lot of work and a lot of experimentation.

Im asuming you are using Blender, there is this field of data that the skeletons are missing for some reason, wich you can add manually, and then you can transfer weights without using Avastar.   But I have been spoiled by it, and I dont remember the exact steps, but I know its possible because I did rig succesfully for a body, before getting Avastar.

• Like 1

Doing a rigged piercing can only be done accurately if you have the dev kit for that mesh body, otherwise you can't tell exactly where the object should be placed relative to the bones & body and you can't tell what bone weights to give it. And every dev kit I know of that's available for Blender was made with the Avastar add-on and won't work right without it...

At least, not without Deep Expert Magic[TM]. I can walk you through how I'd try to make it work, but you'll still need the dev kit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

And every dev kit I know of that's available for Blender was made with the Avastar add-on and won't work right without it...

This information is quite limiting, and ancient, but I can appreciate your attempt to help them.

@atyid contact me in-world, I'll explain the whole thing to you and you'll never look back.

Please send a notecard initially or your message will get lost.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Doing a rigged piercing can only be done accurately if you have the dev kit for that mesh body, otherwise you can't tell exactly where the object should be placed relative to the bones & body and you can't tell what bone weights to give it. And every dev kit I know of that's available for Blender was made with the Avastar add-on and won't work right without it...

At least, not without Deep Expert Magic[TM]. I can walk you through how I'd try to make it work, but you'll still need the dev kit.

Thank you for explaining, that really helps.

I don't have any devkits yet, but once I get some, I'll reach out to you.

20 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

The answer is yes, you need to rig it.   And you dont necesarily need Avastar for rigging, you can do all that Avastar does manually, but it is a lot of work and a lot of experimentation.

Im asuming you are using Blender, there is this field of data that the skeletons are missing for some reason, wich you can add manually, and then you can transfer weights without using Avastar.   But I have been spoiled by it, and I dont remember the exact steps, but I know its possible because I did rig succesfully for a body, before getting Avastar.

Thank you, I really appreciate you explaining.

Yes, I am using Blender 3.1.2. Sadly all tutorials I can find are for Avastar or Bento Buddy, and using older versions of Blender, but it's great to know it's possible without either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.