Is it possible to try the demo in the browser?

KennyChidorie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do you think it is possible to create a product demo through a browser like in an imvu game?

Do you think something like this is possible in the future? Just imagine how much time and space something like this can save in your inventory.

In IMVU there is something similar to the synchronization of the virtual world and the browser, the opportunity to try on a thing in a different way and look at it before purchasing the product. Is it possible in SL? I am interested in the opinion of each of you.

3 hours ago, KennyChidorie said:

Just imagine how much time and space something like this can save in your inventory.

I have no clue of how easy or not this would be to implement, but I can't see it saving any space in my inventory.  I don't typically have very many demos in my inventory at any one time (when I do, they are only there for a short time, a few hours at most) and I don't buy things without first trying a demo.

19 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have no clue of how easy or not this would be to implement, but I can't see it saving any space in my inventory.  I don't typically have very many demos in my inventory at any one time (when I do, they are only there for a short time, a few hours at most) and I don't buy things without first trying a demo.

This is good, but there is another side - shopaholics. For example, a person likes many things and he or she buys many demos to test them. And after some time, a person forgets that he bought a demo version, and as a result, the inventory gradually fills up until it becomes almost catastrophic. By the way, I have a lot of unnecessary things in my inventory, which I still can't completely clean.

How does the number of items in the inventory affect the operation of the SL world?

The more things - the worse the SL world works.

Some users do not have enough minutes to try on the demo. This especially applies to those who like to look at the work of rigged mesh from all sides with the reaction to AO and other movements. 

There is also another problem here. Yes, there are demos that disappear when the timer runs out. Those things are deleted. However, the folder, note, other dimensions of the object and other things still remain in the inventory. Moreover, even if you completely clear the inventory of things that are not necessary, this information will still remain on your account. Even after completely cleaning the basket itself. In other words, the information is archived and remains on your account even after cleaning the inventory, as far as I remember.

Although if cloud storage has changed this, then perhaps this has its advantages. Nevertheless, some users, like me, rarely clean the inventory. And so if the need to buy a demo disappears due to the ability to test things in the browser or in some other way, then this will only be a plus. Imagine: you will not have to open the inventory and search for the right demo, you will be able to reduce the number of buttons to try on the demo.

46 minutes ago, KennyChidorie said:

How does the number of items in the inventory affect the operation of the SL world?

The more things - the worse the SL world works.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the number of inventory items really only impacts login.  

46 minutes ago, KennyChidorie said:

There is also another problem here. Yes, there are demos that disappear when the timer runs out. Those things are deleted. However, the folder, note, other dimensions of the object and other things still remain in the inventory. Moreover, even if you completely clear the inventory of things that are not necessary, this information will still remain on your account. Even after completely cleaning the basket itself. In other words, the information is archived and remains on your account even after cleaning the inventory, as far as I remember.

While there might be a log of deleting inventory items (fully deleting, including the trash folder), there won't be anything else saved on the LL servers about said item.  And any logs that are created and saved about said actions won't be kept by LL for any long length of time.

Said idea definitely has benefits, for both creators and buyers, which ultimately also benefits LL.  However, I'm not sure if the benefits would outweigh the cost of LL creating such a system.   Implementing the feature would be very easy when initially creating a world, but I imagine that trying to retrofit it to the existing SL would be a nightmare.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, if I remember correctly, the number of inventory items really only impacts login.  

While there might be a log of deleting inventory items (fully deleting, including the trash folder), there won't be anything else saved on the LL servers about said item.  And any logs that are created and saved about said actions won't be kept by LL for any long length of time.

Said idea definitely has benefits, for both creators and buyers, which ultimately also benefits LL.  However, I'm not sure if the benefits would outweigh the cost of LL creating such a system.   Implementing the feature would be very easy when initially creating a world, but I imagine that trying to retrofit it to the existing SL would be a nightmare.

I also think that now the release of ideas is a nightmare, because the majority of users of the SL world know about how exactly this virtual world works. For technology from that time, the world of SL is perhaps unique in its field. A few years ago, I tested Active Worlds, which looks like SL in the initial stages of its existence, but that virtual world was abandoned and did not develop further.
However, who knows, maybe we'll get some major improvements to the SL world someday. Although some of the really convenient things are quite difficult to implement nowadays.

Edited by KennyChidorie

While the idea sounds interesting, I can't visualize how it would work, and if I'd be able to do the things that I usually do when I try out a demo which includes moving around, sitting on chairs, perhaps trying it in combination with other clothing or accessories I already own.  

In terms of inventory, I have a top-level folder for demos and once I've tried the demo I either delete it right away if I'm not going to buy it or I keep it just until I've purchased it.  Often my demos folder is empty.  

I'm not sure how much this feature would benefit me - just about everything I demo, I pick up the demo (and later buy the item) from in-world stores or events. 

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

The idea does not adress the function of demos, wich is to testt how the object fits our particular needs, be it body brand/sliders or how it matches with our outfit (in the case of clothes).  It would be NICE to see the object in 3D instead of a photograph, yes, it would not replace demos.

I like that I have the opportunity to see a demo of a 3D object on the imvu site itself, not as an image.
I hope this forum supports displaying animated images.
70d033275c3ede74e3e94dcaf687207f.gif

While it's technically possible, as seen with browser-based viewers like SpeedLight, I really doubt LL is willing to spend the time creating something like that.

It could conceptually work by using your Marketplace login session to access the currently worn assets of your avatar, download that into the browser and display your avatar in a showroom-styled background like IMVU, with the demo item added in. Probably some small set of poses to choose from as well.

One major difference between SL and IMVU is that your "shirt" can be attached anywhere on your avatar, while IMVU only has specific slots to be replaced. The SL version would need some way to manage the attachments on the avatar, so you wouldn't end up wearing two shirts clipping together. This couldn't be reliably automated.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

6 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

While it's technically possible, as seen with browser-based viewers like SpeedLight, I really doubt LL is willing to spend the time creating something like that.

It could conceptually work by using your Marketplace login session to access the currently worn assets of your avatar, download that into the browser and display your avatar in a showroom-styled background like IMVU, with the demo item added in. Probably some small set of poses to choose from as well.

One major difference between SL and IMVU is that your "shirt" can be attached anywhere on your avatar, while IMVU only has specific slots to be replaced. The SL version would need some way to manage the attachments on the avatar, so you wouldn't end up wearing two shirts clipping together. This couldn't be reliably automated.

IIRC, in one of the last Content Creator meetings, an LL dev mentioned the possibility to preview mesh in some way.

They're looking at ways to improve defining what kind of item something is in a user's inventory.

They're allegedly going to be adding yet another description type field for inventory to allow "categorization".

They didn't get significant feedback from attendees, but are still going forward with it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

How does the browser know what I am wearing in world if I am not logged in, and would I be able to see the complexity of said items when trying them on because in world when i try on a demo and my complexity goes from 18k to 148K I drop it like it's hot, the demo that is. not being able to try it on with other clothing my AO of the moment ( I have a serious AO addiction ) and will it know my feet heights for different styles, this all seems like voodoo magic ( i am teasing Blue Mars had similar ).

I like the idea, it would be interesting to be able to try on various demos and if it is in browser would that mean no demo nonsense is needed, so you could actually see your trial item without DEMO pasted all over your face, or parts of your face obscured by prims when trying to buy hair ? I positively support protection of work, just sometimes I cannot even see me with the demo on, and that is the point of shopping to look super fabulous.

The DEMO part could be the background, and of course I would want a mirror ball and some comfortable seating for in between trying on 423 hairstyles, that stuff gets exhausting. 

1 hour ago, Sasy Scarborough said:

How does the browser know what I am wearing in world if I am not logged in

The website could contact LL's asset servers and get a list of worn attachments as a response, not too different from getting the right attachments on normal login. 🙂

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.