naming and shaming?

I'm not sure if this is even part of the TOS anymore but i've seen a ton of people with full private IM conversations of people with no names blurred out in their picks section. These people usually get blocked instantly by me because the whole practice seems narcissistic and i feel they would not be worth my time. Though is this practice still against TOS as it was back in the day when i took a 6 or so year break?

• Like 2

It's still against the TOS, if the IMs are shared within SL or the forums. If the IMs are shared elsewhere such as Facebook or Discord, there's nothing they can do about it.

In theory you can AR all these people, though I suspect in practise Linden Lab won't take any action unless you're personally affected (i.e it's your IM that's been posted without your permission). 

• Like 4

If they were posted without permission, then yes, they are against ToS.   However, unless they were YOUR personal messages, no one knows if they were granted permission or not.  You could AR them but I've yet to see LL take action aside from possibly removing them from a profile IF the person being quoted filed the report themselves.   Personally, I think it's tacky and just gives you a good reason NOT to IM that person.

• Like 9

What would SL be without a dash of drama at times?
As long as it isn't about me, I could not care less.
And if it was about me: I would only wonder what drama they could come up with.
Kudos for them if they find something.

And when needed there is the good old AR. It seems it can be found in the viewers menu.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If they were posted without permission, then yes, they are against ToS.   However, unless they were YOUR personal messages, no one knows if they were granted permission or not.  You could AR them but I've yet to see LL take action aside from possibly removing them from a profile IF the person being quoted filed the report themselves.   Personally, I think it's tacky and just gives you a good reason NOT to IM that person.

i should have clarified that the messages in question were taken as a "look how smart I am and how stupid this guy is!" thing.. So I doubt permission was granted. I was tempted to report them and I see about 3 of them a day, though it's not my war to fight i was just curious about it. I also wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Allison Andric said:

i should have clarified that the messages in question were taken as a "look how smart I am and how stupid this guy is!" thing.. So I doubt permission was granted. I was tempted to report them and I see about 3 of them a day, though it's not my war to fight i was just curious about it. I also wanted to hear people's thoughts on the matter. 😃

but what exactly do you want to report? You'r not involved and have no clue if there is permission or not. 
Waiting time for serious tickets are long enough already, no need to expand them more with this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

What can Linden lab do when the names are blurred out? I know the forum here has allowed shared IM's like bad pickup attempts. It was some threads about it in the past.

With the name redacted, of course.

That was before the forum overhaul, so maybe the forum is a no-no, even without the names.

With the name = Against the TOS

Without the name, what then? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

What can Linden lab do when the names are blurred out? I know the forum here has allowed shared IM's like bad pickup attempts. It was some threads about it in the past.

That was before the forum overhaul, so maybe the forum is a no-no, even without the names.

Dust off an alt and try.
😁

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Without names, no one is being named and shamed.  I recently posted something with Random Person instead of the person's name.  I don't see why it would be any different inworld or the forums.  The only other person who would actually KNOW who was being quoted would be the person who is being quoted.  I suppose they could file a report but why bother if their name is deleted?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Without names, no one is being named and shamed.  I recently posted something with Random Person instead of the person's name.  I don't see why it would be any different inworld or the forums.  The only other person who would actually KNOW who was being quoted would be the person who is being quoted.  I suppose they could file a report but why bother if their name is deleted?

Random Person is an actual SL avatar lol.

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Gem Oxygen said:

Why not just a old fashion big cup of mind your own business if it don't affect you?

Or, alternately, an even more old fashioned concern that someone is breaking rules in ways that are designed to hurt someone else?

In fairness, I'm not sure that I'd do anything if I came across a profile such as that described above. At most, I might consider contacting those affected, and suggest that they do something about it.

But the "mind your own business if it doesn't affect you" school of thought is what tends to lead to people pretending not to notice the bruises that might signal that someone else is being beaten up or abused, walking by the person in obvious distress on the street corner, or conveniently "not hearing" the cries for help echoing across the street at night. "It's not my concern" is perhaps a brute truism, but it's also a pretty inhumane way to conduct oneself in society.

But there's another point here: the SL ToS and Community Guidelines are built upon the premise that, if people see violations, they will report it. LL doesn't have a "police force" that watches for violations: these can only be rectified, and the ToS enforced, if we take action to report them. Without our engagement, literally almost no violations of the ToS would ever be addressed by the governance team in-world. And that would pretty quickly reduce SL to a dystopian hell, I suspect.

So, if being a good person isn't incentive enough to not "mind your own business," maybe ensuring the continued well-being of the platform is?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Allison Andric said:

I'm not sure if this is even part of the TOS anymore but i've seen a ton of people with full private IM conversations of people with no names blurred out in their picks section. These people usually get blocked instantly by me because the whole practice seems narcissistic and i feel they would not be worth my time. Though is this practice still against TOS as it was back in the day when i took a 6 or so year break?

Such people who put crap like that on their profiles or anywhere else are to be avoided at all costs. They know by now that in the unlikely event anyone does submit an abuse report about them they will only incur a warning or a maximum of one day's suspension, and we all know that chat logs can be edited anyway and that the person quoting other people in a derogatory way only make themselves look like total t w a t s. They all gravitate towards each other though, people like that, and so it's fairly easy to just steer in the opposite direction.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Such people who put crap like that on their profiles or anywhere else are to be avoided at all costs. They know by now that in the unlikely event anyone does submit an abuse report about them they will only incur a warning or a maximum of one day's suspension, and we all know that chat logs can be edited anyway and that the person quoting other people in a derogatory way only make themselves look like total t w a t s. They all gravitate towards each other though, people like that, and so it's fairly easy to just steer in the opposite direction.

I usually just block them on sight because I know anything i say to them about myself including personal details will most likely be either posted in their profile or shared on some kind of discord server. I know full well that anyone can share any private IMs from SL on discord but putting random conversations in your SL profile is kind of a red flag that nothing you say to them will be just between you and them and instead between you and whatever collective of friends they have. Thought about it for a while after making this thread and i'm kind of glad they have such things in their profile because then you kind of know right off the bat not to engage with them :P

Edited by Allison Andric
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Allison Andric said:

I usually just block them on sight because I know anything i say to them about myself including personal details will most likely be either posted in their profile or shared on some kind of discord server. I know full well that anyone can share any private IMs from SL on discord but putting random conversations in your SL profile is kind of a red flag that nothing you say to them will be just between you and them and instead between you and whatever collective of friends they have. Thought about it for a while after making this thread and i'm kind of glad they have such things in their profile because then you kind of know right off the bat not to engage with them :P

Same with the people who put that silly ToS disclaimer in their profile that basically says they will copy and paste any IMs they feel like.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

You think we could just enjoy SL and not bring all this drama into it.

I totally agree. But that is not what humans do.

19 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Same with the people who put that silly ToS disclaimer in their profile that basically says they will copy and paste any IMs they feel like.

That type of disclaimer can only work when it is in a place where a person will see it before taking an action the disclaimer refers to. So they are basically declaring their ignorance of law and how Profiles are used in SL.

Saying "silly" is being overly kind.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Allison Andric said:

3 a day? Different ones each time?  I would recommend hanging out in a less toxic place.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

What? Next you'll tell us the "Facebook Disclaimer" doesn't work! LOL!

(People post it on Facebook to avoid whatever scam that is actually trying to just trick them into posting it.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying

With the names removed and not being there to know what was said at the time it was said. You aren't sure  it was said or embellished in some way, to make the situation sound worse or more humorous..

It could have all been made up to fit the theme they were going for in their profile..

Really the only one or ones, that could report them  are those that were there and knew what was going on to know better..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

That type of disclaimer can only work when it is in a place where a person will see it before taking an action the disclaimer refers to.

More than that, even. No matter where you put it, nobody can disclaimer their way out of having to comply with the ToS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

3 a day? Different ones each time?  I would recommend hanging out in a less toxic place.

I'm one of those weirdos that reads everyone in the room's profile, though i should have said something like "up to 3 a day" I almost always see at least one. =P

Edited by Allison Andric

I've seen some do it with such hilarity that is has to be made up... One in particular I remember involved someone pming about a sexual encounter.. It was HILARIOUS.  It was all probably a fabrication of the profile writer, but it made me giggle.... No one was hurt in the process.

Anyone can put anything into a profile and make it look like something....

But, yeah... mostly avoid these people.

• Like 1