Flying Whales

kaufield007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On my sim, I have a number of whales and dolphins swimming about. I also have some cute kiwi birds who wander about in the long grass.

Thing is that lately they have all taken to having little bursts of flight (whales and dolphins as well)

They sort of take off, fly way up in the sky, then vanish and re-appear where the started from.

Have done all the usual, reboots, clean installs, clearing cache.

Nothing makes a difference.

Any tips/ideas please?

5 hours ago, kaufield007 said:

On my sim, I have a number of whales and dolphins swimming about. I also have some cute kiwi birds who wander about in the long grass.

Thing is that lately they have all taken to having little bursts of flight (whales and dolphins as well)

They sort of take off, fly way up in the sky, then vanish and re-appear where the started from.

Have done all the usual, reboots, clean installs, clearing cache.

Nothing makes a difference.

Any tips/ideas please?

Sounds peculiar!  If the whales were falling rather than flying away (and were inexplicably accompanied by a bowl of petunias) then I'd say perhaps you'd discovered Douglas Adams Whale of Magrathea?

9646e387f5e8c8b62ecf18c3361a20a8--the-ga

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

It's network lag, not viewer lag, so clearing cache or rebooting your viewer won't make any difference.  You can get the same effect with your avatar.

What you're seeing is the client and the server having a break in communication (packet loss). Your viewer doesn't know where the whale is going next so it just draws it as though it was continuing in a straignt line from the last known location and trajectory.  When connection is re-established, the client then realises, "Oh, no, it's not there, it's here" so the whle appears to snap back to where it should be.

If you are using a wireless connection, you can reduce this effect by getting an ethernet cable and plugging in to your router.

Rebooting your router may help too, if it's not been done for a while.

Othewise there isn't a great deal you can do about it - the packet loss could be anywhere between you and the Amazon servers, there may be issues somewhere along the route. Maybe someone dug a hole in a road and broke a cable. All you can do in this case is wait. And if it never gets resolved, maybe change your internet service provider.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Ive seen this effect a lot when sailing but with the boats

I often see it with boats at a region crossing. I guess that would be a temporary failure of the "hand-over" from one region to the next.

I dount that's the case  with the OP's scripted animals though.

@kaufield007 Things have changed... whether you are using a wired connection or a wireless connection you need to test the quality of your connection. And you need to repeatedly  test multiple times per day over a couple of days.

Any Internet speed test will do. Some are better than others. These test the net between your computer and some remote computer. You get an upload and download speed and ping time for up and down. When your service provides over 100Mbps and your computer and network gear support gigabit speeds you'll need an app in your computer to get accurate measures. But approximate is good enough for deciding if wired or wireless is better.

My wired desktop is getting 295Mbps download. My laptop connected wirelessly is getting 260Mbps. Ping times on both are in the 15 to 50ms range with occasional spikes to 100ms. Packet loss has improved. I used to experience an initial burst of lost packets logging into SL. The percent of loss would then decrease over time hitting zero eventually, indicating it was mostly a login thing. That is now zero packs dropped at login. MY Packet Loss sits at 0.0%.

When logged into SL open the viewer's HELP->About... and scroll to the bottom to see Packet Loss. A rate of 2% loss is HIGH and you'll have problems. Continuous loss over 2% will generally cause a disconnect from SL. HOWEVER... intermittent loss is likely to allow you a thoroughly horrendous experience without disconnecting you. 😲

Remember. The connection to SL is not the same connection speed tests test. So, press Ctrl-Shift-1 to open the Viewer Stats panel. You'll see information about how well the viewer and SL servers are communicating and get more info on where problems may be. Ping-time as measured by the viewer is very different than the ping-time measured by Windows or Mac. Expect it to be higher than what you see in the speed tests.

You'll see a section on Simulator; Time Dilation, Sim FPS, and Physics FPS. Respectively these should be: 1.00, 45, and 45. As these numbers decrease ping time, as measured by the viewer, will increase. So, these numbers tell you whether the problem is server-side, on the net, or viewer-side. Make sure it isn't your region that is having problems before trying to fix your connection or computer.

Try tests and connections checks both wired and wireless to see if there is any actual difference. My new 5GHz wireless connection is as good as my wired connection.

• Thanks 1

OlqXQGg_FTe7lwWQLkseuJtx1up5G0rqVUUK2fxLzpA.jpg?auto=webp%26s=982f1cfe1149c134697329c785e8557c0da3ce01&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=235237acf2c19dee098e5400f2acb329b484296fc6f0b017c8ebe996026964e7&ipo=images

I love the idea of flying whales. I've seen them in SL (not the OP's glitches, but whales designed to fly around) and I wish we had them in Real Life. The only question I have is, how does a flying whale breach? Do they pop out of the atmosphere and startle astronauts?

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Just now, Lewis Luminos said:

Did you know that if you take a recording of whale song and speed it up a few hundred times, it sounds just like bird song?

Maybe those flying whales are exactly where they want to be.

You can approximate whale song by rubbing a rubber mallet across the face of a metal gong! It's what finally convinced me to get a big gong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.