Are you decorating for Halloween in Second Life?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I enjoyed the Bellisseria trick-or-treating last year.  I had a pumpkin out at my house and enjoyed wandering around random areas of Bellisseria when I had a chance keeping a lookout for other houses with the pumpkins out on their porch.  I didn't worry about what others were doing in terms of sharing LM's etc., as I was just participating for the enjoyment of it, not the top prizes. 

How did that work, Moira? It sounds kind of lovely!

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

How did that work, Moira? It sounds kind of lovely!

It worked fairly well.  I didn't find a lot, but I did find some, plus I had fun wandering around - with a purpose, for a change :)   Last October was a very hard month for me RL, so the looking for pumpkins was a welcome escape at that time. 

• Like 1

Can't say that I am specifically decorating for Halloween, but I do enjoy making seasonal changes to the "City" in my parcel.

That, and considering the fact one can dress up as anything one fancies at any old time, there's little to distinguish Halloween from any other day in SL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I enjoyed the Bellisseria trick-or-treating last year.  I had a pumpkin out at my house and enjoyed wandering around random areas of Bellisseria when I had a chance keeping a lookout for other houses with the pumpkins out on their porch. 

I also enjoy your approach to the pumpkin event. Problem is that there are hundreds of Belli regions and the pumpkins per region count was mostly 0, 1, or a few. Hence one was not likely to find many. I was asking people to drop BelliPins to locate their pumpkins so others could search on foot or in a vehicle using the BelliFind HUD. This kept you from wasting time looking where there were no pumpkins. Note: you can either use BelliPins or drop the BelliPin script in an object (such as a pumpkin).

26 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I was asking people to drop BelliPins to locate their pumpkins so others could search on foot or in a vehicle using the BelliFind HUD. This kept you from wasting time looking where there were no pumpkins. Note: you can either use BelliPins or drop the BelliPin script in an object (such as a pumpkin).

I think I remember you making that suggestion in one of the forum threads about the trick-or-treating last year. I hadn't tried it last year as I wasn't familiar with the BelliPins and that was all just a bit more than I wanted to figure out at that particular time.   Sounds like a good idea though, if there's another organized hunt of some type this year - whether by LL or by residents.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

f you are suggesting that the 2021 Bellisseria find-pumpkins-to-win-stuff Halloween event was ill conceived, I 100% agree. We can only hope they do not repeat it.

For those unaware of this ridiculousness, they expected people to find pumpkins across the 100s of Bellisseria regions. Of course, people (not officially) cheated and shared SLURL lists. Not exactly a level playing field.

I hope they repeat it exactly as last year.  But they probably won't because a small minority claim finding enough pumpkins to get in the top 100 was cheating.   It was not cheating - nothing in the rules said you could not advertise your home, where you might have spent many hours and Lindens decorating for Halloween. 

The LM list was open to everyone and constantly updated up to the last few days.  It was maintained by Spiderman, one of the celebrated (by the lindens) residents of Belli.  Most of the list was copied from surls from home owners listing their surls in Bellisseria Citizens group chat.  That group is open to everyone in SL.  (Unless you were banned in the group and I don't see your name there.)

I had a blast using the LM list to go to hundreds of regions I had never seen before, see the decorations and open houses, and click on their pumpkins.  Also met quite a few new Belli residents who were also hunting.  This was IMO the best social event the Lindens have ever planned for Belli.   

There are Thousands of Belli regions (not hundreds) and you could roam aimlessly for days unless you had a guide to which regions had the pumpkins.  The serious hunters were aiming for all the bears, that was their fun for Halloween.  They also spent hundreds of hours searching, since not everyone would put their home on the LM list.  They put in the time and got the rewards they wanted, and had fun doing it. 

I had two Halloween Belli homes with pumpkins and one was fully decked out in "cheesy" Halloween things.  Both homes had about 200 visitors, and I got some friendly praises on my decorations in IM.  I feel sorry for someone who put out a pumpkin and a ghost, and had no visitors.  They should have used the list to let the hunters know where their home was.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Here's a related question. Does anyone do Guy Fawkes Day on SL?

That could be a hoot! I'd be right into trying to blow up Parlia . . . I mean, sitting around a bonfire!

No but I will admit to dressing up last year in that demon costume you saw me in at one of the sales,  pretending to be part of the halloween exhibit in one of the Bellisseria parks and frightening people who didn't know I wasn't a bot.  The devilry of it was a sheer delight.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

so no same level playing field, inner circle first might be no cheating, but is also no real fair play.
Funny that still that Belli group clique is seen as leading.

The hunt was open to all SL residents.  I guess you think someone should not check the main Belli group that is open to all,  know nothing about the Bellie continents, put forth no effort, and win the grand prize for doing nothing?  Well that's not how we play in the USA.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

No but I will admit to dressing up last year in that demon costume you saw me in at one of the sales,  pretending to be part of the halloween exhibit in one of the Bellisseria parks and frightening people who didn't know I wasn't a bot.  The devilry of it was a sheer delight.

OMG. That's kind of brilliant.

You're the person with the fake chainsaw who comes at me in the "haunted house," and makes me scream even though I know it's fake!

I.e., you're the reason I don't do haunted houses anymore!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just finished turning my region to fall season.  I don't do much decorating for Halloween, though I do set out a candy bowl that gives out candy to anyone that wants some about a week before the big day.  Halloween is just not something I celebrate.  But fall...I will celebrate that until right after Thanksgiving when I turn the region into a winter wonderland for a month.  Then back to spring/summer.  

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. That's kind of brilliant.

You're the person with the fake chainsaw who comes at me in the "haunted house," and makes me scream even though I know it's fake!

I.e., you're the reason I don't do haunted houses anymore!

When we lived in the suburbs just before we moved down to Tennessee.. There was a guy that would stand on the corner of our block dressed as Micheal Myers. He wouldn't chase you.. But if he seen you looking at him , he would start to walk towards you.. It was like he would be looking around and then just stop on you for a second and then just start walking towards you..

Omg  he was so scary. Even if you ran he would always keep walking until you looked back and then turned to keep running..  It was like he picked you out of the crowd and was going to walk the ends of the earth to get just you..

It was like in the movies..  I think he scared me worse than anyone ever has that was fake scaring me..

I'm small anyways but I was really small then lol

906787_press2.jpg

ETA: Don't be sad face  smilying hehehehe

It was for Halloween and it was fun having him out there.. They did such a great job on their house too.. It gained a reputation where you would be cautious because you didn't know what they were doing this year to scare you.. It was great and something to remember..

We lived across the street from them and knew them.. we would sit and watch the other trick or treaters going up and being real cautious.. Even their parents were excited and cautious..

It was the house you looked forward to most but took your time going there too.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Sad 1

The trouble by making my home just as I want it, is that to start over is difficult. I bought some very good packs with grass that are texture change, so I can click to change from summer to dry autumn grass to frost grass. But I deleted all scripts, because my first lesson in SL was: "Scripts bad for performance". I can't get over it, hehe. Plus it annoys me if my finger slips, I touch the grass, and that blue box pops up and ask if I will change the texture.

To do over the place, I have to manually change all. Because my pink and blue flowers will need a change too. 

I rented another place, only so I can use autumn colors and textures. Get the textures right, from the start. And I don't have to change my summer place.

I have already gone crazy with leaves. Yellow, browns and reds, maybe I should post pictures. I always start on the outside before I do the interior. So the house is almost empty, but the garden is starting to look nice. 

It is not ghosts, but pumpkins that's my theme.

• Like 1

Not yet, but I'll probably decorate my SL home next month.

Here in my country we do not celebrate Halloween, so I was never much into it. However, last year, because of the Bellisseria Trick or Treat hunt, it was the first time I decorated my linden home for Halloween and I loved the experience.

I didn't take the hunt itself too seriously, but it was fun seeing other houses decorations and having people visiting my home. Hope we have something similar this year.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:02 AM, diamond Marchant said:

I also enjoy your approach to the pumpkin event. Problem is that there are hundreds of Belli regions and the pumpkins per region count was mostly 0, 1, or a few. Hence one was not likely to find many. I was asking people to drop BelliPins to locate their pumpkins so others could search on foot or in a vehicle using the BelliFind HUD. This kept you from wasting time looking where there were no pumpkins. Note: you can either use BelliPins or drop the BelliPin script in an object (such as a pumpkin).

If one got the landmarks on forehand, there was very little to seach IMHO, because LL asked the participants to put the pumpkins in clear sight.
Searching for pumpkins means IMHO that one doesn't have instant success all the time.
LL could just as well have thrown in 350 pumpkins in one plot and that's it. Come and click. Or just give everybody a prize.

One doesn't really play in a contest when half of the competition games the game.
I know for sure, that I won't put up any 'search' material again for any Belli contest.

🙊

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Sad 1

As I mentioned earlier on, Halloween isn't a thingy in my country, so I normally do not decorate for that event, neither in RL or SL.
But I found those nice (cheap) items at several events like the 60L$ weekend and a few others.
And now magically a few palm trees start to disappear at my beach house parcel and.... spooky.  👻

651647.jpg

🙊

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

I will be decorating my house for Halloween.  It's one of my favorite holidays.  I hope they do the Trick or Treat contest thing again, I had fun last year going all around and seeing what people have done with their house.  My place will be more set up for the hunt this time around.  I also have a few "costumes" I will be wearing again too.......

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.