Are you decorating for Halloween in Second Life?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

I just realized that halloween and Dia de los Muertos overlap.  I personally dont celebrate either since they are not a thing where I live, but if I had to choose, Id rather celebrate Dia de los muertos.

Both basically come from the same traditions Halloween being the Evening of all Saints the day you pray for the souls of the saints. Both of these days were inspired by the Gaelic festivle of Samhain.  Dia de los Muertos is the day after all Souls day  a day in catholic tradition that the faithful are supposed to pray that the souls of the People who died in the past year leave Purgatory. Dia de los Muertos is a mixture of the two with a little African diaspora and a whole lot of Aztec thrown in. 

a Combination of Gaelic, Christian, African and Aztec  it truly is one of  the few real "world holidays"

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 1

I used to have something that turned your whole body into a floating pumpkin.

I agree with @Scylla Rhiadrathat it's become more tasteless in recent years. I opted out for a while. Now I have a small child I'm back in, but very much in the "pumpkins and black cats" kiddie mould. I used to watch a horror film every Halloween but I've gone off those too. 

I like the idea of marking Samhain in some way but I'm too culturally ignorant to know what that involves, other than hacking out a turnip and putting a candle in it. I will read up on it.

• Like 2

Honestly, It's always been a thing for people in their 20's.. I think if it's changed recently , it's because everyone has a phone in their hand and doing a lot of social media stuff..

Before phones it was always kids and adults.. Adults having a reason to throw a Friday or Saturday night party more than anything..

people getting into their 30's and 40's slow down on that stuff that I've seen..

There might be one or two in the office that showed up or parents at the door handing out candy.. But the parties really slowed down the closer we got to 30.. hehehehe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, It's always been a thing for people in their 20's.. I think if it's changed recently , it's because everyone has a phone in their hand and doing a lot of social media stuff..

Before phones it was always kids and adults.. Adults having a reason to throw a Friday or Saturday night party more than anything..

people getting into their 30's and 40's slow down on that stuff that I've seen..

There might be one or two in the office that showed up or parents at the door handing out candy.. But the parties really slowed down the closer we got to 30.. hehehehe

Some of us "oldbies" were into SL spooky stuff in past years due to nostalgia.

My generation had "free reign" to go Trick-or-Treating without adults, had neighborhood spook houses, small town haunts, etc.

Not sure if today's "youngers" have all that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of us "oldbies" were into SL spooky stuff in past years due to nostalgia.

My generation had "free reign" to go Trick-or-Treating without adults, had neighborhood spook houses, small town haunts, etc.

Ya, it's really slowed down a lot.. I can't remember the last time I seen anyone out and around town trick or treating.. There are a couple of blocks that really go all out on it every year.. I think that's the big reason why... Everyone goes there and does their walk with the kids and checking out the really wild things they came up with this year..

It's more or less been condensed to one area rather than all around town like it used to be..

Also ya, I forgot about all those really good haunted houses..  The ones where they are like professionally done that get advertised on the radio.. some of them go year round..

Honestly, I remember the kids pretty much getting that day, where adults only had to get close to start having parties and things.. Halloween seemed like it would ramp up people to have an excuse to ask someone out..

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did trick or treating when I was much younger, with family and friends. But some kids at our school ruined it a bit one year by throwing eggs and squirting detergent at people on the bus straight after school, and one of the kids got headbutted after he threw something at the wrong person and the police got involved, so my mum said "No way!" and I was forbidden to go with them :| But I don't know if it was worth walking around in the cold just for some mini-Twix bars anyway?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Prefer going to a spooky venue in the warm :D

• Like 2

Halloween seems to be the one holiday I usually decorate for - though it is minimal. The extent of the decoration is a little candy giver at the front door of my workshop.

Said giver will randomly dispense a SL-themed pun candy object, or execute a preprogrammed "trick". I need to add more to it...

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
typos
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I did trick or treating when I was much younger, with family and friends. But some kids at our school ruined it a bit one year by throwing eggs and squirting detergent at people on the bus straight after school, and one of the kids got headbutted after he threw something at the wrong person and the police got involved, so my mum said "No way!" and I was forbidden to go with them :| But I don't know if it was worth walking around in the cold just for some mini-Twix bars anyway?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Prefer going to a spooky venue in the warm :D

You've just reminded me of a nice story..

Me and my friends would walk around all hours in our small town. Nobody ever bothered us.  Maybe we were a little bit.."elevated"?

Anyway, one year some people our-age-or-older drove through in a truck and threw eggs at us.  One friend CAUGHT the egg. We all got a nice laugh out of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the very few times I got kicked from an SL club was when a friend and I went trick or treating on a Halloween...the host or owner decided we were begging! We weren't actually expecting people to give us $Ls, it was just something to say...so one bit of advice, be careful if you try this in some SL clubs xD

• Haha 1

Just now, Rat Luv said:

One of the very few times I got kicked from an SL club was when a friend and I went trick or treating on a Halloween...the host or owner decided we were begging! We weren't actually expecting people to give us $Ls, it was just something to say...so one bit of advice, be careful if you try this in some SL clubs xD

"Candy is Dandy, but Liquor is Quicker!"

My mom used to give out pennies and nickels.  No fun at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I was thinking about this earlier. There must actually be family-oriented RP communities that do trick or treat, surely?

I will probably do a little decorating, but not anything overboard or too scary.  I probably should do most of it at my LH as my mainland home isn't on a road or waterway so unlikely to be seen by anyone, but my mainland parcel is my main home spot.  I don't think I'll dress up in a costume though, unless I'm already dressed in an outfit from a prior time period for some other reason (and which I don't really consider the same as a 'halloween costume'). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was thinking about this earlier. There must actually be family-oriented RP communities that do trick or treat, surely?

I think it would be ideal! And if everyone knows each other, there wouldn't be any concerns about begging.

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Here's a related question. Does anyone do Guy Fawkes Day on SL?

That could be a hoot! I'd be right into trying to blow up Parlia . . . I mean, sitting around a bonfire!

I've never found any ☹️ Years ago me and a UK DJ held a Guy Fawkes Night set at a club, and wore those Anonymous Guy Fawkes masks...I think about two people turned up :/ I had all the good particles too...but nobody outside the UK really seems to care about it. I think that and Chinese New Year would make AMAZING SL fireworks/lights events...I think the closest I saw was a July 4th event, but it was still a bit tame...

• Like 1

Last year I had the trick or treat object from LL out in my Bellisseria house. Decorated the whole house, because it was empty at that time anyway.
Exactly zero visitors. So good luck with that upcoming season.

Europeans don't really celebrate Halloween.
So I will not decorate. Not my home that I may not speak about on these forums nor in SL.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When I walk past a display for Hallowe'en costumes, I'll see the usual range of cheap superhero costumes for kids . . . and a whole lot of "sexy nurse" and "sexy pilot" ones. Ick.

I work in security. Until this year, the site I was at had one of those stores on the property, but it was only ever open through October.

We used to call it the stripper supply store, and October quickly became the best part of the year.

I miss that site.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Last year I had the trick or treat object from LL out in my Bellisseria house. Decorated the whole house, because it was empty at that time anyway.
Exactly zero visitors. So good luck with that upcoming season.

If you are suggesting that the 2021 Bellisseria find-pumpkins-to-win-stuff Halloween event was ill conceived, I 100% agree. We can only hope they do not repeat it.

For those unaware of this ridiculousness, they expected people to find pumpkins across the 100s of Bellisseria regions. Of course, people (not officially) cheated and shared SLURL lists. Not exactly a level playing field.

Only good thing was that you got a decent consolation (spooky) bear doll if you found at least 1 pumpkin.

This also begs the question "Why are Lindens doing stuff like this?"  Residents are perfectly capable of (and enjoy) creating hunts. Just put the spooky bear in a Premium Gift kiosk and call it a day.

skelly bear.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

If you are suggesting that the 2021 Bellisseria find-pumpkins-to-win-stuff Halloween event was ill conceived, I 100% agree. We can only hope they do not repeat it.

For those unaware of this ridiculousness, they expected people to find pumpkins across the 100s of Bellisseria regions. Of course, people (not officially) cheated and shared SLURL lists. Not exactly a level playing field.

Yup that's the one.
Shows how deep I'm into Halloween. I can't even remember exactly where it was all about. 👻

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Only good thing was that you got a decent consolation (spooky) bear doll if you found at least 1 pumpkin.

This also begs the question "Why are Lindens doing stuff like this?"  Residents are perfectly capable of (and enjoy) creating hunts.

This why we can't have nice and fun things..  Cheaters end up causing too much protection put up, because they can't just go and have fun with it, but rather see it as some sort of opportunity to get more stuff, rather than enjoy the time getting it.

I want all these things now so it doesn't cut too much into my time of getting more other stuff..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I enjoyed the Bellisseria trick-or-treating last year.  I had a pumpkin out at my house and enjoyed wandering around random areas of Bellisseria when I had a chance keeping a lookout for other houses with the pumpkins out on their porch.  I didn't worry about what others were doing in terms of sharing LM's etc., as I was just participating for the enjoyment of it, not the top prizes. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Dream Starchild said:

Yes, probably. I love spooky season. Only I haven't actually decorated my premium home at all yet, lol. I've been busy! So if anything I will decorate the porch. Probably some pumpkins and a candy dish or two.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to script up some sort of treat giver that can be left out like decoration. Bet I could throw something together quick. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.