Are you decorating for Halloween in Second Life?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm don't usually do much shopping for them and probably have a bunch of stuff already in my inventory, which I may find soon since I'm sorting so much of it this week..But if something lands in my lap I will put it down.. Although there really is not much need for me to decorate since not too many people come to my place..

I do like seeing others and their places though.. Even though I don't celebrate the holidays or too many of them anyways, I really do enjoy the feel they give off.. Especially the winter ones.. Coming from a place where there was so much snow, Those blizzards really were a nice escape when everything was covered and still no end in sight of when the storm would end..  A nice soft blanket of snow  over the world and I am right at home again.:D

It's so rewarding when we get them down here in Tennessee.. But those are only every couple of years or so at most..

I'll keep my eyes peeled, as they say..hehehe

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

No, I dislike the whole thing.

0o Didn't you used to be Vamp?

I remember seeing your avatar in the old forums and like, I really have to go check out these vamp sims.. Wow did that lead to a lot of really wild sims and castles an huge caves or layers or whatever they were.. that was such an interesting time in my SL.. All  kicked off from your forum avatar.. hehehe

It's that or I'm thinking of someone else's forum avatar and really gonna be embarrassed.. lol

• Like 2

Just now, Ceka Cianci said:

0o Didn't you used to be Vamp?

I remember seeing your avatar in the old forums and like, I really have to go check out these vamp sims.. Wow did that lead to a lot of really wild sims and castles an huge caves or layers or whatever they were.. that was such an interesting time in my SL.. All  kicked off from your forum avatar.. hehehe

It's that or I'm thinking of someone else's forum avatar and really gonna be embarrassed.. lol

No you were thinking of me and are correct. I'm definitely a vamp.  The Halloween holiday is just so crass and cheesy (in my opinion) that it makes me cringe.  There really isn't anything redeemable about it in my mind.  Some of those vamp sims ended up being crass and cheesy too.  There were some good ones though.

• Like 4

Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

No you were thinking of me and are correct. I'm definitely a vamp.  The Halloween holiday is just so crass and cheesy (in my opinion) that it makes me cringe.  There really isn't anything redeemable about it in my mind.  Some of those vamp sims ended up being crass and cheesy too.  There were some good ones though.

Ya there is a lot of commercial stuff I don't like about it , especially certain costumes.. But I do enjoy I think that it sets off a certain part of the year where things shift into a different place..  Fall is my favorite season, so that might be what it is..

Before I went looking into vampires in SL, I really only seen them as the cheesy way.. But after really looking around and talking with so many people at that time, it really opened the world up to me.. I mean I wasn't a vamp or anything or looking to be one, but just curious about it.. the more I learned the deeper it got.. Like blood lines, not the one that people are thinking of, but the blood lines that set the stations for vamps and things.. I didn't even know that was there..  I just though you got bit and became a vam p.. lol

Some of them sims were so wild and so huge.. like this cave that was really huge with all these holes in the wall which I guess were individual layers.. That reminded me of the lost boys.. I mean I would get the creeps really bad in some of them.. then some reminding me of like Blade and underworld with these really bloody sacrifice areas.. I was like.. I better not stay here too long..

I see one guy show up one time and fumbled to get to my teleport that I actually screamed, COME ON CLICK DAMMIT!!!  hehehehe

• Like 4

Without a doubt there have been some fantastic creepy/horror/post-apocalyptic even creepy sci-fi regions that I have loved and there still are some or was last time I looked.  Those seem so very far from the present day concept of Halloween to me though which seems focused on cutesy stuff to a large degree.

The vampire clans are interesting for sure but that isn't really my type of vampire thing and there is a lot of drama.

• Like 5

When I was a child, I of course loved Hallowe'en (as I'll spell it just because it bugs some people). I loved the candy, and the costumes -- maybe especially the costumes -- and the sense of it being a special occasion. It was a great time to really exercise one's imagination, and it was also a social occasion with friends and neighbours.

I have now grown pretty much to loathe it, to be honest, for a variety of reasons, but mostly maybe because the focus of the day has shifted pretty dramatically away from the kids, and towards adults. When I walk past a display for Hallowe'en costumes, I'll see the usual range of cheap superhero costumes for kids . . . and a whole lot of "sexy nurse" and "sexy pilot" ones. Ick. Adults don't have enough fun (and sexy) things to do without appropriating children's holidays? I suppose in part it's about money: young adults have more money to spend than 10 year olds.

I also really dislike the degree to which gore and violence have taken a front seat in costumes and decorations. Some of that has always been there, of course, but I think it used to be much more cartoonish and fun. Now it's often really explicitly violent and bloody. And also, the less explicit and more suggestive "horror" -- bloody bandages rather than oozing open wounds -- required so much more active imagination, and was in that sense far scarier. I'm far better at creeping myself out with my imagination than any cheap plastic costume or decoration could ever be.

In SL, it sort of takes over everything for about a month and a half. The positive side, I guess, is that there's usually less on sale that I'd want to own, so I save money.

So, really, just not my thing. Have fun with it -- I don't begrudge you it if it's your thing. I'll just wait it out, focusing on more positive and beautiful aspects of autumn.

• Like 6

Nope. My LL houseboat is already done to the max LI and I'm too lazy to do seasonal decorations. I will, however, probably do up my avatar if I can remember what day it is when it gets here. At least I will attach my black cat who floats next to me hoisted by black and orange balloons. I've always enjoyed Halloween though, still do, and like the whole "this is now fall" thing, the costumes, the who-am-I-kidding-it-is-the-chocolates.

• Like 1

I will put some pumpkins out and that is all.

It is not something we used to celebrate, All Saints is a national Holiday around here with some traditions that are still observed, but don't relate to Halloween (mostly is a day to go to the cemetery, lay fresh flowers in the graves and light lanterns and/or candles).

Nowadays with globalization there are some Halloween festivities around (mostly for buying stuff), but it doesn't say much to me.

So, some nice pumpkins because it is fall after all, and that is it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Halloweenie.thumb.png.2e918bcc48e6cae62586ee488c868225.png

I decorated my alt for Halloween. Holding off as much as possible to keep from burning out too early.

I just realized that halloween and Dia de los Muertos overlap.  I personally dont celebrate either since they are not a thing where I live, but if I had to choose, Id rather celebrate Dia de los muertos.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

I am decorating myself. every fall i ditch the skin and dance around in my bones. Problem is I love the look so much I keep it all winter.

66225f4d33c4f2bf0c4512d36ec0e46b.png

🖤🖤🖤 that avatar! 😍 AND Bree's make-up 💀

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

When I walk past a display for Hallowe'en costumes, I'll see the usual range of cheap superhero costumes for kids . . . and a whole lot of "sexy nurse" and "sexy pilot" ones. Ick.

I agree! I don't see how either of these have anything to do with Halloween? :S If people can't make the commitment to be a zombie, vampire or monster, they should stick to Valentine's Day and leave Halloween alone, IMO.

• Like 1

I generally don't decorate for the seasons, mainly because I'm nearly always close to my LI limit, and I can never find anything I want to remove, in order to make room for the decoraitons.

However, I always decorate myself, and will usually be in some sort of costume, for at least the last couple of weeks leading up to Halloween.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.