More orange clouds appearing again... Add

Wallace Wirefly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay it seems that orange clouds are again on the rise. Why we are yet to determine. This was supposedly solved by placing the avatar rezzing on the server side long ago. So now that these orange blobs seem to be on the rise I suggest Linden gives us a heads up as to WHO is that orange cloud appearing before us. ( for those who do not use names above heads 😉). I would ask Linden to designate PINK clouds for female designate and BLUE for male designate. For the neutrals or other not desiring gender ORANGE can be still be used. Lets get these clouds designated. 😁

• Haha 2

I have the latest version of firestorm viewer, (6.6.3.67470) and orange clouds seem to hang around a bit longer than usual.

I have a avatar with a maitreya body, system head and hair, some sims only rez my head and hair until I use the avatar rebake tab, and then everything is fine. Other sims don't do this, it seems rather random actually, and may point to some sort of baking fail issue, although I am a total noob to that, and that is about the best explanation that I can give..

Edited by shireena1
added a version number to firestorm viewer for clarification
  • Like 1

The viewer (or the server) can't always determine what gender a person't avatar is.  Yes it can detect whether your base shape is a male one or a female one. However, many people use a female shape for a male avatar, and vice-versa. Furries of both genders typically use a female shape. Then there are people using non-humanoid avatars, their shape may as well be totally random.

So if you're looking for female avatars to hit on, you're going to get a fair number of false positives in pink clouds with that approach.

You'll probably get more accurate results by turning name-tags back on and guessing based on their name.

I've noticed the orange clouds a lot more since I updated to the latest FS too. (Not saying it's definitely because of the update... I hadn't been on much for a couple of weeks so maybe something else changed as well).

If they persist, perhaps asking for an option to choose one's own cloud colour wouldn't be amiss. I want atrovirens please.

7 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Notice it since LL did appearance maintenance.   so wondering what changed.

I just ended up at a "safe hub" with a big cluster of completely unfamiliar avatars while using the latest Firestorm and everyone de-clouded pretty quickly. If it was right after appearance maintenance that you saw slow avatar loading it may have just been an empty cache on the LL/content delivery side.

Completely off topic but it seems to me the original question is already well answered.

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

The viewer (or the server) can't always determine what gender a person't avatar is.  Yes it can detect whether your base shape is a male one or a female one.

It's not very well known but the gender parameter for the avatar is not a one bit male-or-female one; there are at least 254 in-between options. This is one of several options that have been nerfed away from the viewers' over-simplified and over-cluttered shape edit palette but all 3rd party viewers I know of (not sure about the official viewer) will let you export and import shapes in an XML format that can easily be edited with any text editor or word processor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I just ended up at a "safe hub" with a big cluster of completely unfamiliar avatars while using the latest Firestorm and everyone de-clouded pretty quickly. If it was right after appearance maintenance that you saw slow avatar loading it may have just been an empty cache on the LL/content delivery side.

I'm still getting slow loading at home, so hm

I came on a couple of hours ago, and came on as a cloud and had to relog to get things to load..  It usually happens on Tuesdays for me when it's restart day..

I had to relog a couple of times because of things moving a bit slow, like going to edit a hud to move it and the edit option taking like 30 seconds to show up or something showing as worn  but in the inventory not showing it as worn..

A relog fixed those as well..

I had updated firestorm the day before the latest update, so I am on the prior version.. I'm probably just going to wait until the next update since I've heard many in groups and other places complaining about it..

I'm just glad I squeaked in the day before the most recent version.. hehehe

Okay I wrote this as sort of a tongue in cheek  😋 because,as I see from replies, people are seeing more CLOUDS ( color really doesn't matter ). So I believe something has changed. As for the trade off  for better something not sure. I think also that more "scanning" is being done. Linden research I imagine fights with all sorts of hacking and Firestorm is now checking ones connection when one seeks info on their Wiki. I have no knowledge of SL's Main viewer I have never used it after the famed SL 2.0 roll out way back when. Network traffic is getting larger and caches are as well. Has the use of cache or how it's used been changed? Is the connection be throttled? All I know is the virtual world changes and I guess we will change with it. Thanks all for input am glad it's not my imagination running wild again.😉😂

I just upgraded to gigabit service and FS 6.6.3. Downloads of textures and meshes is way faster for me. I have noticed a change in what renders completely first. It seems everything within the LoD #1 (high detail) radius renders almost immediately, <15 seconds and often <5. The things in LoD #2, 3, & 4 radii also render in the same general time-frame but with lower rez textures. (JPG2000 format images have 4 quality levels.) Avatars in those farther away zones also take longer to rez. In places like Exhale some avatars may take minutes to rez.

It can take a REALLY long time for the full texture of the initial low-rez textures to load and render. Like minutes.

The cache system in viewers has been upgraded. I forget when the update hit the grid. The SL viewers have had the upgrade for 3 or more months. I haven't read where Firestorm has adopted the new cache system. But the viewer behaves very much like the SL viewer when revisiting a place.

Network quality is hard to judge. Chine and Russia (and others) are messing with European and American systems. So we have intermittent overloads, obstructions, and just odd behavior. So we see lots of transient problems. I encourage people to be cautious about thinking something broke in their computer or viewer. Be sure you connection is actually working as it should before ripping your computer apart. Network problems often resolve on their own within an hour or two.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.