Oh Em Gee! Totally Unofficial Thankful and Grateful Thread! Share your smiles Yes! SL SMILES!

Seicher Rae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm thankful for longtime SL friends and for my mental health peer support group in SL. For years it was S.O.S. - Survivors of Suicide. Then the group owner decided he could no longer host it, so it changed ownership and has become Circle Mental Health. The current group owner is very focused on making this just as great as the S.O.S. group was. It currently has enough trained mentors so there are usually a couple watching the group chat and offering to chat privately if people wish. It also has inworld meetings 5 times/ week on various topics.

When people have emotional or mental health issues they don't always have the means to talk with a therapist in RL. Online support forums are not always well moderated or very helpful either. My SL support group has been wonderful for me and has probably literally been a life saver for some people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm thankful for longtime SL friends and for my mental health peer support group in SL. For years it was S.O.S. - Survivors of Suicide. Then the group owner decided he could no longer host it, so it changed ownership and has become Circle Mental Health. The current group owner is very focused on making this just as great as the S.O.S. group was. It currently has enough trained mentors so there are usually a couple watching the group chat and offering to chat privately if people wish. It also has inworld meetings 5 times/ week on various topics.

When people have emotional or mental health issues they don't always have the means to talk with a therapist in RL. Online support forums are not always well moderated or very helpful either. My SL support group has been wonderful for me and has probably literally been a life saver for some people.

survivors of suicide don't survive - they cope.

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Online support forums are not always well moderated or very helpful either. My SL support group has been wonderful for me and has probably literally been a life saver for some people.

This is great! Thank you!  I just found a PTSD support place and intend to load up on info for my niece who has finally been able to go into treatment for PTSD in RL. I want to be as informed as possible so that, if and when she talks to me about her issues, I can give the best support possible. I must say, too, that in just the few minutes I wandered around at the site, I started to realize that I have plenty of stuff that might also all into that category. I think I knew that already, but sometimes it's hard to say the words to one's self. At any rate, thank you! And thank you SL for making such things possible. 

Edited by Cate Foulsbane
  • Like 3

One more good thing about SL, this forum in particular. I can learn things AND have some laughs! I just found an ancient ...make me laugh...thread and, so far, it's full of jokes about the plague..jokes from 2020. While laughing, I was reminded, once again, of how great it is to have access to so many bright and funny people who find healthy ways to cope with disasters. Ok, maybe some of the jokes aren't so healthy but what the heck..whatever works to get us through trying times. Humor and SL have been SO good for me these last few years...and not just Covid.  Thanks, people!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

One more good thing about SL, this forum in particular. I can learn things AND have some laughs! I just found an ancient ...make me laugh...thread and, so far, it's full of jokes about the plague..jokes from 2020. While laughing, I was reminded, once again, of how great it is to have access to so many bright and funny people who find healthy ways to cope with disasters. Ok, maybe some of the jokes aren't so healthy but what the heck..whatever works to get us through trying times. Humor and SL have been SO good for me these last few years...and not just Covid.  Thanks, people!

I felt that way going back and reading the pandemic jokes too. It's a weird and scary world when those jokes seem nostalgically light-hearted.

• Like 4

I'm grateful you stumbled back to these boards after a too long absence - your trolling presence was missed.

I'm grateful to have someone who shares my appreciation for pretty Indian men.

I'm so grateful that you've been able to find your happy place here again after it had been a dark place for you for a while.I

I'm grateful for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've just spent 3 days in hospital after having major surgery, Friday and Saturday were filled with excrutiating pain. But in my email were offline messages from SL friends wishing me all the best with my surgery and recovery, it was so nice to have that! And I know now as I spend the next 6 weeks recovering, SL will give me a way to fill part of my days (not all of them though, apparently I need to spend a fair bit of time lying down, so television shows are on the agenda).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I had a bad hair day yesterday.
I'm so grateful nobody took me out in the backyard to shoot me, neither here on the forums, in SL or RL.

Grateful for Hats in SL, the fact SL hair doesn't grow, and that you don't have to risk getting a "bad haircut/perm/dye job".

Idea: Start calling SL hair "wigs", "toupees", and "weaves" (except System hair and possibly furry heads with built-in hair). 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

As to the trolling comment that survivors of suicide don't survive, but cope: I call bull-sheet. But I also don't want to drag this happy thread down into the gutter by feeding mindlessly negative people who believe they can speak, with a degree of self-imposed authority, for a large group of people who encompass a wide range of lives. This survivor muddled through and has popped out the other side, possibly well into the realm of thriving. I have umpteen kinds of PTSD and that's just for starters, and I don't appreciate the broad strokes of negativism on "my behalf."

:straightens knickers and skirt:

Anyway, Persephone, I'm so glad to read this. I used to go to SOS, but bowed out for "reasons." But they were always a good group. I vaguely knew they had reorganized, and I appreciate you listing a bit of the specifics.

Mental health care has always taken a back seat to physical health care, the world over, with some countries being better at it than others, but none are stellar (to my knowledge). With COVID, the crisis in care has gotten worse, because within whatever framework is out there, the number of therapists has decreased while the need has soared.

That SL can play a part in this, in a positive way, is indeed something for which to be grateful. Thank you.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I'm grateful you stumbled back to these boards after a too long absence - your trolling presence was missed.

Trolling presence? Moi? Surely you have me confused with someone else? I believe the terms you were looking for were, "insightful opinions wittily disseminated"? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Trolling presence? Moi? Surely you have me confused with someone else? I believe the terms you were looking for were, "insightful opinions wittily disseminated"? 

Posting a tiny font won't save you!

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

As to the trolling comment that survivors of suicide don't survive, but cope: I call bull-sheet. But I also don't want to drag this happy thread down into the gutter by feeding mindlessly negative people who believe they can speak, with a degree of self-imposed authority, for a large group of people who encompass a wide range of lives. This survivor muddled through and has popped out the other side, possibly well into the realm of thriving. I have umpteen kinds of PTSD and that's just for starters, and I don't appreciate the broad strokes of negativism on "my behalf."

:straightens knickers and skirt:

Anyway, Persephone, I'm so glad to read this. I used to go to SOS, but bowed out for "reasons." But they were always a good group. I vaguely knew they had reorganized, and I appreciate you listing a bit of the specifics.

Mental health care has always taken a back seat to physical health care, the world over, with some countries being better at it than others, but none are stellar (to my knowledge). With COVID, the crisis in care has gotten worse, because within whatever framework is out there, the number of therapists has decreased while the need has soared.

That SL can play a part in this, in a positive way, is indeed something for which to be grateful. Thank you.

Sounds like a valid Peeve to me! But then, I'm not the Designated Arbiter of Peeves..

Oops! Wrong thread. Not a peeve! Not a peeve!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 8:28 PM, Robin Kiyori said:

I am very greatful fot lovely fourm users that are supportive and sweet to all.

I've been on some rather dark and troubled spots lately. But the fourms users have a unquie way of making things bright. [Or firey in certain maddy ways]  💛💜🤍🖤

…sets you on fire, mixes your ashes with root beer to make the sweetest of modeling clays, sculpts a miniature you, brings you back to life, and offers you a home in her purse

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

…sets you on fire, mixes your ashes with root beer to make the sweetest of modeling clays, sculpts a miniature you, brings you back to life, and offers you a home in her purse

Thats a REAL interesting take on Queen Mab's habit of turning folks to stone and arranging them in her garden :)

(it is usually a bad idea to peeve the queen of the unseelie court)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.