Linden Home Neighborhood Community Centers

Alec Kaestner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know if there is a documented way to 'sign up for/reserve' any of the Linden Home Community Centers? (Such as Campwich Forest, Randalsham Treehouse or the Sakura Community Center) for an in-world event? Or, is this only limited to the Bellesseria Fairgrounds?

Please, and thank you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alec Kaestner said:

Does anyone know if there is a documented way to 'sign up for/reserve' any of the Linden Home Community Centers? (Such as Campwich Forest, Randalsham Treehouse or the Sakura Community Center) for an in-world event? Or, is this only limited to the Bellesseria Fairgrounds?

Please, and thank you. 

I think you can reserve them for gatherings, but I'm not sure if it has to be public or if it can be a private affair.  There was a wedding at the Fantasseria community center.  I think you have to contact one of the moles who add you to a calendar and a special group.  I've never reserved one, so I am not sure who you can contact.  I tried searching the Knowledge Base for "Community Centers", but nothing came up.

I am sure someone who has the answer will read your post.

• Like 2

• Moles
2 hours ago, Alec Kaestner said:

Please, and thank you. 

Contact Missy (Mischievious) Mole with some of the details of what you'd like to do and she can help point you in the right direction.

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• Moles

The boards in Puffin Head are available to members of the Bellisseria Performers Group. It was originally created for DJs to be able to list where they are going to play in the community regions around Bellisseria, but it isn't limited to just music performances. If someone wants to hold periodic events in the community spaces they can message myself or Missy to be added to the group. If they need access to change the parcel radio stream that is separate from the group and they can contact me directly.  Those signs below each board will offer you a teleport to each of the spaces. 

The fairgrounds is a bit different. There is a google calendar for events at the fairgrounds. You can apply to stage an event there by following this link: http://bit.ly/BellisseriaFairgrounds

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

On 9/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, Alec Kaestner said:

Does anyone know if there is a documented way to 'sign up for/reserve' any of the Linden Home Community Centers?

This begs the question "Why?", particularly if you have a DJed party in mind.

Community Centers, while scenic, are sub-optimal for DJed parties because tip jars are not allowed (don't ask why). Missy might facilitate rezzing and help you set a parcel music stream but she will not authorize a tip jar.

The parties that I observe (and host) are on resident parcels where the parcel owner is in control.

Also, I am not certain, but I would be surprised if an event in a Community Center is allowed to be private.

• Like 1

• Moles
37 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

tip jars are not allowed (don't ask why)

Since you (didn't) ask, tip jars are not allowed because they constitute a L$ business transaction and Bellisseria is not a commercial area. It's residential, and people don't tend to want to live right next to a noisy or busy club. If community centers allowed tip jars and tipping then DJs playing them would be less about something for/with the community and instead about making L$. Second Life is peppered with entertainment venues made for that very purpose. Perhaps a better question is "Why would a DJ want to work at one of those or start their own  when they can just use the community regions in Belli for free?"

If someone wants to donate their time and play for the public for fun, have a good time, make some friends or perhaps hone their skills and build a fan base then the community regions are a good place they can do that at. But they aren't a place to make L$ and they aren't meant to compete with places that are. If making L$ is the motivation there are clubs everywhere who are hiring.

TL;DR: It keeps Belli residential and non-commercial.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Community Centers, while scenic, are sub-optimal for DJed parties because tip jars are not allowed

Only if the DJing is about making money rather than just having a community party.  I've not noticed Bellissera events having any difficulty getting DJs due to the 'no tipping' policy.

• Like 3

• Moles

If you want to hire someone to perform at an event you are hosting in Bellisseria you could always simply negotiate and pay them a set fee up front. I think a lot of them might prefer that to begging for tips (which is hit or miss) anyway. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Also, I am not certain, but I would be surprised if an event in a Community Center is allowed to be private.

I think any gathering at a Belli community center is de facto public, because even if you arrange the party with Missy or Abnor, the region will not be set to only allow access to people in a certain group. ( true, Abnor?)

I'm really happy to see that moles have put dance balls at most, if not all, community centers.  The Campwich community center even has one of Nomad's very fun auto-wedding consoles, which can assist greatly for any partnering celebration, whether or not you have a celebrant performing the service.  You can probably request that the dancing elvis behind Campwich's console be removed for your ceremony, lol. 

Frankly, since the community centers are so underutilized, I wouldn't hesitate to throw a private party at one.  My partner and I were thinking of holding an anniversary party without even contacting the moles at Campwich during the evening hours.  Our ideas included:

> Attach party decor to an alt seated unobtrusively nearby.  

> Create a party group so invitees could easily chatter, request TPs, etc. without relying on local chat.

> Use a DJ we know, compensated  in advance, broadcasting on his/her own stream.  So, party-goers use 3rd-party streaming apps like Winamp or AIMP to listen.  This was not an issue for any of our close friends.  [Btw, I think the absence of tip jars in Belli is a red herring.  Nothing stops you from spontaneously giving Lindens to a DJ directly.]

> Directly invite our friends, do not announce in a public group

> Attach a couples Intan so our couple friends could dance with each other (yes, Intans can be used as chims.  I don't know about Hybrid dance balls)

> I was planning to wear an attachment that, if anyone entered the region who was not on the invite list, sent them an IM that a party was in progress which they were welcome to attend, and that it was going to end at such-and-so time, and DJ nnnn was broadcasting on stream http:xxxx.    [Since my partner passed away, I never wrote this script, but it would be easy, and if anyone would like to have such an object, let me know.  A similar object would be useful for something like a book club or any other meeting using a community center, particularly if you're using voice.]

> Use the Nomad console to do a quick, fun renewal of vows

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 7

• Moles
3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I think any gathering at a Belli community center is de facto public, because even if you arrange the party with Missy or Abnor, the region will not be set to only allow access to people in a certain group. ( true, Abnor?)

Yes, this is true. Community centers are by definition public spaces. You could have a party like the one you described, you just have to be ready to accept the random person may show up and ask what all the fuss is about.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, diamond Marchant said:

This begs the question "Why?", particularly if you have a DJed party in mind.

Community Centers, while scenic, are sub-optimal for DJed parties because tip jars are not allowed (don't ask why). Missy might facilitate rezzing and help you set a parcel music stream but she will not authorize a tip jar.

The parties that I observe (and host) are on resident parcels where the parcel owner is in control.

Actually there are quite a few parties that go on at the community spaces. Belli Surf beach is used often, same with Campwich, sometimes there are parties at the Pickle Shacks and other public locations. We have even thrown many parties at public pools! :) There are also weddings, birthday parties, themed events that all happen at the comm spaces. Some thrown by BEE DJ's, some by the Indi DJ's, some just by friends wanting to do something for other friends :) A good handful of these community spaces DO have radios all ready for the DJ's to set their stream (As Abnor mentioned in a few of his posts here, there is an entire set up for exactly that purpose). And for the spaces that do not have radios - we have a great loophole in that we just post an external stream link to those who are in attendance. 

I can also tell you as the facilitator for the Bellisseria Entertainers and Events group. That EVERY person who has done sets in Belli thus far, be it any of the DJ's, Live singers and bands, Artists, Particle show performers etc all know tip jars are not allowed and never, ever rez them out. So that has honestly never been a concern. There have been a few times, where a new resident who is used to using them via clubs etc, has used one at a private home, but those usually get mentioned to a higher up who will deal with it. 

As for "private" bookings, if it is in a public space, then it becomes exactly that, a public event for anyone to attend. But I do not think the OP asked about a private party. 

Edited by KrystalKandy
typo lol
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, KrystalKandy said:

all know tip jars are not allowed and never, ever rez them out. So that has honestly never been a concern.

Thank you! What we have all observed, from day 1 in Bellisseria, is that residents have figured out how to party on protected land or water on their own. We also know that DJs are being tipped directly and always have been. My suggestion is simply that the sky will not fall if tip jars are allowed. Also, in the scheme of things, the tipjar thing is almost irrelevant.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

• Moles

My suggestion stays the same. If you want to throw parties and DJ with the expectation of being paid for services by asking for tips, find or build a club on mainland or a private estate. Many private estates also designate whether clubs or businesses are allowed on their regions for similar reasons Bellisseria does. It is not a new concept.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

My suggestion stays the same. If you want to throw parties and DJ with the expectation of being paid for services by asking for tips, find or build a club on mainland or a private estate. Many private estates also designate whether clubs or businesses are allowed on their regions for similar reasons Bellisseria does. It is not a new concept.

That would be interesting, if there were controls to disallow paying other avatars as part of the covenant! 

It would be so nice if this could all work like using a google calendar (but inworld or on an SL webpage) that would give people temporary stream and MAYBE limited build powers for bookings they made on that calendar for assorted venues - without the need for "human intervention".

Just go in there and if you have a linden home, you could reserve up to 1 hour a week with it - with some post activity checks on visit count or whatever to make sure you actually used your time for a community event (if you did, you'd still be able to book, if not, you'd lose the next X period of time ability to book).

Or conversely; rather than post use checks... your reservation only gets valid if enough people sign on to join it before it occurs. The number needed being based on the size of the spot.

A small pickle bar only 2 perhaps, something like the old lodge maybe 8-10... (or whatever).

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That would be interesting, if there were controls to disallow paying other avatars as part of the covenant! 

You do realize you could then simply TP to someplace outside of Bellisseria and pay another avatar right? This would also mean you could most likely not use the MP either while in Bellisseria since it's paying another avatar money.  If you want more control then there is that "other" world with no legs *vaguely points to somewhere in the distance. 🐹

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Once again, none of the performers in Belli expect or ever ask for tips. In fact we don't even hint at it. I will be totally transparent and say there was a time where you'd hear a shout out from a host or event organiser, saying "if you would like to show some love etc, you can do so privately". The powers that be very kindly asked that this cease to go on and it was 100% respected and has never been an issue since. But the performers themselves have never said to the guests "if you would like to tip me".

We are going on over 3 years in Belli now with having all sorts of events and house parties and things have run extremely smoothly. A private tip to say "Hey we appreciate you taking your rl time to provide entertainment" has never been something that has broken the covenent in Bellisseria. It is considered as a gift. Just like if we are both Belli residents and I pass you 500L, that is not breaking any sort of  rule. Therefor, someone giving a tip because they choose too, is also not breaking a rule. I do not want to speak for Abnor but I think his words are very clear when he says "if you expect it, then mainland is the way to go". No one in Belli expects it because we have known since the day we moved in that tip jars are not an option. 

As a side note, I think it's also important to note that those who do the big events, such as Fairground events spend thousands, if not tens of thousands to provide the community with an event to enjoy for weeks, a month, what have you. And expect nothing back either. We just want to do something fun for our community. :)

Edited by KrystalKandy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

It would be so nice if this could all work like using a google calendar (but inworld or on an SL webpage) that would give people temporary stream and MAYBE limited build powers for bookings they made on that calendar for assorted venues - without the need for "human intervention".

Just go in there and if you have a linden home, you could reserve up to 1 hour a week with it - with some post activity checks on visit count or whatever to make sure you actually used your time for a community event (if you did, you'd still be able to book, if not, you'd lose the next X period of time ability to book).

Or conversely; rather than post use checks... your reservation only gets valid if enough people sign on to join it before it occurs. The number needed being based on the size of the spot.

A small pickle bar only 2 perhaps, something like the old lodge maybe 8-10... (or whatever).

Not sure if you noticed the photo's above. But there is a set up at one of the public spaces where Belli residents can do just that. Book a party or event. We also have the fairgrounds but that is a different process in the sense that you fill out an application and if approved, you do get rez rights to build whatever you want within the TOS of Bellisseria. As for the smaller spaces like the community centers, those are already decorated and there is no need for extra prims to be added. But the Moles have kindly put in dance machines and radios to add streams. It's just a matter of going and signing up to book said spaces. :)  As for a temporary stream, that would mean LL would need to pay for those. The DJ's in Belli provide their own streams for anything they do here, as it should be. 

In regards to only being able to do an event if there is a certain amount of people coming to attend. I simply do not see how that could work. As one can never predict how many will be there. I have seen parties with 5 people showing up and it's been a great time with wonderful conversation. And I have seen parties with so many people, they filled the region (Fairgrounds). But considering you book the event before it happens .. having an attendance cap, just would not really work. In my 14 plus years of managing clubs, DJ teams and doing public events, I have never seen a decision made based on how many might attend something. 

Hope this helps clear things up :)

Edited by KrystalKandy
more typos lol
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, KrystalKandy said:

In regards to only being able to do an event if there is a certain amount of people coming to attend. I simply do not see how that could work. As one can never predict how many will be there. I have seen parties with 5 people showing up and it's been a great time with wonderful conversation. And I have seen parties with so many people, they filled the region (Fairgrounds). But considering you book the event before it happens .. having an attendance cap, just would not really work. In my 14 plus years of managing clubs, DJ teams and doing public events, I have never seen a decision made based on how many might attend something. 

I was only thinking about that in terms of abuse.

What is to keep someone from booking one of the Pickles 2/47 365 days a year. Or even doing that across multiple locations.

Something requiring multiple sign ups to be able to reserve a spot would at least mean such a move would need to be an organized 'griefer attack'.

7 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

I was only thinking about that in terms of abuse.

What is to keep someone from booking one of the Pickles 2/47 365 days a year. Or even doing that across multiple locations.

Something requiring multiple sign ups to be able to reserve a spot would at least mean such a move would need to be an organized 'griefer attack'.

I see what you are saying :) But those sign up boards are run by the Moles themselves. So I would imagine if they saw an entire calendar month booked by one person, they would deal with that. You also need their permission to set a stream and use the radios, by getting an invitation to a particular Mole run group, in order to even access the radios. So, somewhere in there .. if it was a griefer issue, I feel very confident that it would be resolved quickly :)

Edited by KrystalKandy
  • Like 3

• Moles
14 minutes ago, KrystalKandy said:

I see what you are saying :) But those sign up boards are run by the Moles themselves. So I would imagine if they saw an entire calendar month booked by one person, they would deal with that. You also need their permission to set a stream and use the radios, by getting an invitation to a particular Mole run group, in order to even access the radios. So, somewhere in there .. if it was a griefer issue, I feel very confident that it would be resolved quickly :)

Yes, this. The group to list your events on the boards and the access to the parcel radios are managed by us Moles and both are open to anyone who wishes to request an invite. And naturally we would be the ones dealing with anyone abusing the privilege as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.