What gaming laptop should I get for SL?

Kaiyuh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I'm a new user and I currently play SL using an HP. I'm not sure about its specs but let's just say my current laptop was not made for gaming at all. I've been on the market for a gaming laptop that meets my needs but I don't know anything about computers. I'd like my next laptop to be able to run SL from High-Ultra settings without little to no lag at all. Ultimately, I want to be able to actually play and enjoy secondlife with good graphics to go with it. My budget is under $1,000USD because I'm not really a gamer. I only play secondlife and Sims 4 so I don't want anything too crazy. Below I have listed the laptop that I've been considering most, I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know whether or not it's a good pick. I'm also open to any suggestions that anyone may have for gaming laptops

Option 1: Vivobook S15 S533 (11th Gen Intel)

https://shop.asus.com/us/90nb0sf4-m00430-vivobook-s15-s533-11th-gen-intel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9suYBhBIEiwA7iMhNJD1Ft7Fl1OOOT6rYKf3P7YN4jbkr1IVVyEdOracUtntx_-EonzefBoCuVgQAvD_BwE

CPU: Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.8GHZ

GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Storage: 512GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 (on board)

15 answers to this question

Secondlife is CPU dependent, Not as GPU dependent. You do want at least 8 gig video ram for textures, but having a RTX 3090TI over a RTX 2080 won't offera difference due to the old OPENGL used. 

A good I7 or I9 will make a difference when using advanced lighting to maintain stable frame at good draw distance. Or newer AMD chips. 

stable internet and having a SSD to reload cached images helps as well. 

With a I9 setup I can do 180 fps without advanced lights, 60-90 with it on and base shadows, full with vsnch I hover around 60 but there are drops in areas.

heavy traffic areas is another story as its not just rendering that become the issues. Bottlenecks will happen from all factors. 

All we can hope for is a redone viewer system that actually uses gpus in a real way. 

Edited by Kavarek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Because not everyone can afford the best out there i thought i'd share a revelation . My 16GB MSI i7 GTX1050 always worked fine in SL so FPS didn't matter much but i think it hovered around 20-25fps .

Its been repaired I don't know how many times by myself without much of a clue , new screen , new fans , new palm rest keyboard touchad (from a different MSI) completely lost and replaced win10 operating system more than once but i muddle through until its working again .

This time (fried ribbon cable) I was stuck on the BIOS page and could find no way in but i removed the cmos and managed to recover to a new version of win10 .

The revelation -

Because i bought a win7 install CD which came with a driver pack CD for my ancient spare laptop I figured i'd give the driver pack a chance before going through the whole windows update process - it found nvidia and installed drivers - something i always assumed windows would do .

Obviously windows doesn't do it because my FPS is now between 40 and 60

So there you go old as it may be GTX1050 is good enough .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know this is unpopular advice, but IMO the best laptop for SL is...a desktop.

For these reasons:

• At a given price point, the desktop has more power
  • The desktop can be much more easily upgraded, piece by piece
  • You can get a large monitor. (I know, you can get a big external monitor for a laptop too, but if you are going to tether yourself to a big screen, you may as well go for the desktop!)
  • SL makes laptops run hot. If you insist on a laptop, get a good aftermarket cooling solution as well.

If you just must get a laptop, get one with the best graphics (dedicated Nvidia GeForce) and the largest screen you can afford, and at least 16GB of RAM.

• Like 4

Perhaps Lindall , but i don't think so as my circa 20 year old toughbook can access SL and function to some extent on lower lag sims using an older version of firestorm , while it can't even login to the newest firestorm .

Public cctv is a lot clearer as well .

I blame windows aggresive attempt to take over by replacing drivers that work with their own cheap and nasty copy drivers .

No sound now but seeing how many others are effected i guess its just windows way of FORCING users to downgrade to win11.

20 hours ago, cunomar said:

No sound now but seeing how many others are effected i guess its just windows way of FORCING users to downgrade to win11.

I will say this without violating an agreement, expect after extended support for windows 10 that legacy services will be disabled for updates and activations fully.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:46 AM, Kavarek said:

Secondlife is CPU dependent, Not as GPU dependent. You do want at least 8 gig video ram for textures, but having a RTX 3090TI over a RTX 2080 won't offera difference due to the old OPENGL used. 

A good I7 or I9 will make a difference when using advanced lighting to maintain stable frame at good draw distance. Or newer AMD chips. 

With a I9 setup I can do 180 fps without advanced lights, 60-90 with it on and base shadows, full with vsnch I hover around 60 but there are drops in areas.

heavy traffic areas is another story as its not just rendering that become the issues. Bottlenecks will happen from all factors. 

All we can hope for is a redone viewer system that actually uses gpus in a real way. 

The OP asking for laptop not desktop stop giving lame advices. RTX 3080 or 3090 is over 5K costs don't even bother. Just get a GTX 1650 to RTX 3060 those are around your budget and you can add additional 8gb ram on if came with only 8gb RAM. Dual channels RAM makes second life faster too. Make sure you use lasted firestorm viewer it the best performance viewer right now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, randakong said:

The OP asking for laptop not desktop stop giving lame advices. RTX 3080 or 3090 is over 5K costs don't even bother. Just get a GTX 1650 to RTX 3060 those are around your budget and you can add additional 8gb ram on if came with only 8gb RAM. Dual channels RAM makes second life faster too. Make sure you use lasted firestorm viewer it the best performance viewer right now.

Rather then being cocky about correct information that was given. Try to read and comprehend what is read. Often this need to be said to some, pay attention to DETAIL. 

It isn't relevant if a Desktop or a Laptop. As they both have similar processors and GPU versions  both have Intel or AMD cpu's in RX / I3, I5, I7, I9 formats. As well as GPU's in GTX, RTX formats, including both RTX 2000 series, 3000 series and 4000 series. 

On the single thread note. The base speed of the CPU will affect performance. 2.8 versus  an higher core speed will affect performance. 2.8 pushes the lower end for advanced lighting and shadows all on., and you will be under 30 FPS. 

I understand what the viewers use, what benefits more. GPUS are not as taxed for newer generations,  the cpu offsets to the gpu. However the GPU will try to compensate more due to how the viewers work. More so for Nvidia based as newer AMD GPUs don't  offset as much and won't improve things as much. Enhancing anti-alaising with the Nvidia set will look great, but when shadows are up it will greatly decreases the fPS. example. without shadows and jsut based advanced lighting i hover in the 98-140 fps range at 300m-400m optimized draw distance. WIth shadows on , dependign o nthe load of detail in areas, it is cut to 50-60 fps, in higher load 40 fps, max  draw distance 30-38 fps, and the GPU is now handling a 70% load trying to offset the lack of optimization. 

However texture memory does play a role in the speed of loads, shadows,  as well as the cache allocated and pre-stored.  and as I stated, if you read it correctly before replying "but having a RTX 3090TI over a RTX 2080 won't offer a difference due to the old OPENGL used. " but the CPU will. a newer GPU can however handle certain aspects better, but its not so much the person system as it is the ISSUE WITH THE VIEWERS, and the OPENGL used. SL could run much better if aspects were revamped again (which is in the plans but will take time).

Some changes have been put in to utilize GPU's more. The problem GPU's are spending more clock time correcting things then running an optimized program.  You can specify in some GPU's how opengl and other aspects are handled, more by CPU or more by GPU. 

NOTEBOOK NVIDIA SETTIGN THAT MAY HELP: 

on most moderate and newer GPU's with latest drivers. there is a setting in the nvidia control panel called: OPENGL GDI COMPATIBILITY. You can try setting it to PERFORMACE rather then Prefer compatibility. In some cases this can increase frames FPS and put less strain on the notebook itself.

Not only was my post correct and not lame, but you responded in a childish manner and only verified my post. 

Edited by Kavarek

10 hours ago, randakong said:

dude. You come off like a cocky 8 year old. the K person stated that higher gpu's will not help. He was correct in what he stated as far as how the current viewers work. most systems including laptops today are dual channel, however there is a limit to the viewers capabilities in the current state.  Frame rate wise, CPU is the heavy need, especially single thread maximums.  A gpu needs to be decent for textures and subsets, but higher end 3000 series won't make a difference for Firestorm, the standard viewer or any other third party. 

Memory speed of systems in the last 5 or so  years are plenty.  When it comes to loading assets when entering a new sim, connection speed comes into play, when loading pre-cached , drive speed comes into play. Most system a person will by today will ahve SSD's. 

Try to actually contribute in a good manner. 

On 9/15/2022 at 6:46 AM, Kavarek said:

My CPU def makes the difference.  Gpu not so much. So agree. Newer system will be pretty standard with better CPU's (but people need to pay attention to some as not al AMG are the same and have double threads.).  A budget R5 6 core with 6 threads won't perform like the better 6 core 12 thread versions. Most of the 6 thread versions were weaned out. Not that multiple threads really help to much more with current viewers. 

As some have already stated, SL is not a traditional game that requires a gaming PC.

I personally believe that the more RAM you have the better,. I run 16gb of RAM and the PC i had before I had 12gb. I know tis is contrary to what some people say, but in my experience more RAM has improved my performance.

I use a laptop and I run SL fine. I'm able to run SL and run a Broadcaster for playing music with little issues. Again 16gb of RAM. 

If you are using a lappy, I think it's a good idea to get an external fan underneath.  SL will make your lappy run hot. 

I know people who have gaming PCs who complain about performance.  This doesn't require a gaming PC and the price you have to pay for them.   Lots of RAM and a decent graphic card is your answer.    My lappy was 900 US off the shelf. 

On 3/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, Doris Johnsky said:

As some have already stated, SL is not a traditional game that requires a gaming PC.

I personally believe that the more RAM you have the better,. I run 16gb of RAM and the PC i had before I had 12gb. I know tis is contrary to what some people say, but in my experience more RAM has improved my performance.

I use a laptop and I run SL fine. I'm able to run SL and run a Broadcaster for playing music with little issues. Again 16gb of RAM. 

If you are using a lappy, I think it's a good idea to get an external fan underneath.  SL will make your lappy run hot. 

I know people who have gaming PCs who complain about performance.  This doesn't require a gaming PC and the price you have to pay for them.   Lots of RAM and a decent graphic card is your answer.    My lappy was 900 US off the shelf. 

Decent graphic cards typically come with gaming PCs or gaming laptops. So while you don't need gaming PC/laptop per se, a reasonably modern one will fit the bill.

Another thing which I don't see mentioned much on here much is that choice of viewer makes a BIG difference. It seems many  if not most use Firestorm and while this is very good in terms of features, the performance isn't as good as what it could be. I use Alchemy Viewer and get nearly twice the FPS with max settings. The difference is night and day. The only prob is that it can only be downloaded from their Discord channel which is odd to say the least, but worth it.

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.