Second Life Puppetry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They just got jealous of me for making a cool hand puppet is all. Had to outdo me, I get it. It's fine.

XD

As far as puppeteering avatars go, I usually just put on my stern subtext and suggest people do as I say. If all else fails I stamp my foot and cry. That usually works.

Edited by PheebyKatz

I'd never use this, i'd rather have a built in manual system I could record custom animations and replay them, sell them et.. See jira. like EEP except with animation creation like the dragon poser has except with ability to record animations via what is that stop motion. The offical viewer is going to need the built in AO FS uses as well to easily toggle. AO maybe ability to put notecard in AO with timings for different things. Like the abranimations animation hud but built in. That would be sick. I have fond memories of running 2 of those at the same time. one for me and one for others. with like 12 slots each for can't tell you how many perfectly timed strings of animations each one contained so many animations. That's the truest form of puppertry. 

This would be way more entertaining and original imo. 

Edited by Paulsian

• 3 weeks later...

Sony has announced a new full body tracking system.

Mocopi full body tracking.

This is the first full body tracking system from a major consumer products company.

It's kind of expensive, around US$350.

The dev software is supposed to become available around December 15th, with products shipping in January

Now somebody has to figure out how to interface SL to it. VRchat is expected to have it soon.

Sony is coming out with a good suite of VR hardware. The coming VR2 headset tied to the PS5 plus this provides a complete system from a single vendor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

Sony has announced a new full body tracking system.

Mocopi full body tracking.

This is the first full body tracking system from a major consumer products company.

It's kind of expensive, around US$350.

The dev software is supposed to become available around December 15th, with products shipping in January

Now somebody has to figure out how to interface SL to it. VRchat is expected to have it soon.

Sony is coming out with a good suite of VR hardware. The coming VR2 headset tied to the PS5 plus this provides a complete system from a single vendor.

Someone should do a "voodoo doll" parody of that video with an in-world waifu wearing the trackers and forcing their RL neckbeard user to dance or exercise until they have a heart attack (2 minutes into the routine) and continue as a corpse/zombie.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

There's no finger tracking and I suspect the hand position tracking is either very crude or non-existent despite the video showing the same hand positions.  Fingers and hands would be very important to me for SL.

Yeah, if you have subtitles turned on it will translate the japanese disclaimer saying that face movements and expressions were edited in post, the avatar is "for illustration only" and not really representative of actual output you might get form the device.

* Avatar expresions and hand movements edited using 3dCG software

* Images for illustration purposes only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People want this sort of puppet thing?

I mean, it's me sitting at my desk typing (and frequently misspelling) text into a field while my AO makes my avatar dance far better than I can in real life, and that's excluding the 4" heels and as Ginger Rodgers said, having to do everything the man is doing, except backwards :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

I can see a rig where all parts are optional and if you don't wear a particular sensor then that area is left to whatever anim is being played being useful if it also includes gloves for finger and hand tracking.  It would probably have wider appeal over an all or nothing approach.

For me, I can think of a few ways I could use finger and hand movements to enhance my SL.  Maybe even upper torso tracking in a limited way.  I'm never going to be jumping around and attempting dance routines near my computer though.  I'll definitely leave that up to my dance anims to take care of.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.