Censorship of Metaverse Topics

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Will topics that discuss the Metaverse, Meta, or Zuckerberg always be locked and/or deleted? Are there any loopholes, such as the topic being relevant to Second Life vis a vis comparisons to the way other platforms do things? Is the real problem the ridicule of Zuckerberg or is it something else?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Will topics that discuss the Metaverse, Meta, or Zuckerberg always be locked and/or deleted? Are there any loopholes, such as the topic being relevant to Second Life vis a vis comparisons to the way other platforms do things? Is the real problem the ridicule of Zuckerberg or is it something else?

I think some of the um..what's the word? Moderating!..of the topics is just because they become contentious. People arguing, bickering, etc.

It doesn't help if the are off-topic.

But Second Life will still be here after the first few Metaverses fail. Quote me!

• Like 2

I regularly write about metaverse stuff on these forums. My main theme is that there are areas where Linden Lab is being Left Behind, and needs to pay more attention to what the competition is doing. Today I wrote about how VRchat does puppeteering so it doesn't look creepy. I've mentioned that Improbable has much better region crossing technology and can do crowds. I've commented more than once that Roblox has a solution to layered clothing that Just Works. I've described, with pictures, how GTA does big worlds where you can see far into the distance. I've discussed how NFTs could be used within SL, and that, while someone could do it in the existing system, it's a bad idea. And even that 3DXchat can get the sex parts to align between avatars without the user having to fuss with dialog boxes.

None of that seems to upset LL's  moderators.

I think it's the arguing and bickering that sets them off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, animats said:

I regularly write about metaverse stuff on these forums. My main theme is that there are areas where Linden Lab is being Left Behind, and needs to pay more attention to what the competition is doing. Today I wrote about how VRchat does puppeteering so it doesn't look creepy. I've mentioned that Improbable has much better region crossing technology and can do crowds. I've commented more than once that Roblox has a solution to layered clothing that Just Works. I've described, with pictures, how GTA does big worlds where you can see far into the distance. I've discussed how NFTs could be used within SL, and that, while someone could do it in the existing system, it's a bad idea. And even that 3DXchat can get the sex parts to align between avatars without the user having to fuss with dialog boxes.

None of that seems to upset LL's  moderators.

I think it's the arguing and bickering that sets them off.

Waitaminute, all that other stuff is better - but you're still here!

What's the draw for you, that you can actually do the things you can do here - but not there?  (Create your own viewer, etc.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Waitaminute, all that other stuff is better - but you're still here!

What's the draw for you, that you can actually do the things you can do here - but not there?  (Create your own viewer, etc.)

Probably the same reason I keep coming back. Virtually every other platform out there does individual things better than Second Life, but there isn't one that can do them all at once like SL can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Virtually every other platform out there does individual things better than Second Life, but there isn't one that can do them all at once like SL can.

Yes. SL has all the things a metaverse is supposed to have: a big world, user-created content, commerce. But it does many of those things badly. Most of the components are dated, and underperform current technology. For a long time, over a decade, LL got to coast, because nobody was working on new stuff in their space. That's been changing. LL's license to coast is expiring. My point for the last year or so is that SL needs to get up to AAA title quality or be run over by one of the many multi-billion dollar companies working in the metaverse space.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, animats said:

And even that 3DXchat can get the sex parts to align between avatars without the user having to fuss with dialog boxes.

To harp on this ... yes. Every pose from cuddling onwards needs each avatar to adjust XYX by 0.01 to 0.25m increment to "line up"? Is there no way to have the end of one appendage be recognized by the system to touch the Y part of that other avatar when X animation is requested?

Also, WHY IS HUGGING SO STUPIDLY HARD IN SL???!!!!!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The fact alone that even discussing moderation is forbidden, tells a story.
But I'm not in the mood of telling it.

I think the reason is good why you don't discuss the DETAILS of moderation - so people  don't try to either push the limits, find the loopholes, etc.

For examples:

"Warnings?!? That's not so bad.."

"3-day Ban? Psh! I can handle that!"

etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

To harp on this ... yes. Every pose from cuddling onwards needs each avatar to adjust XYX by 0.01 to 0.25m increment to "line up"? Is there no way to have the end of one appendage be recognized by the system to touch the Y part of that other avatar when X animation is requested?

Also, WHY IS HUGGING SO STUPIDLY HARD IN SL???!!!!!

Because the code only knows about the bounding boxes?

Just guessing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Because the code only knows about the bounding boxes?

Just guessing.

There's no full inverse-kinematic support in the animation system, that's why you can't have an animation aim a limb towards some point.

It does exist to a small degree, for example an avatar's feet will adjust to uneven ground (if you aren't using an AO), but we can't upload IK animations nor write scripts to do similar things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

There's no full inverse-kinematic support in the animation system, that's why you can't have an animation aim a limb towards some point.

It does exist to a small degree, for example an avatar's feet will adjust to uneven ground (if you aren't using an AO), but we can't upload IK animations nor write scripts to do similar things.

Understood. I was less thinking about the "aiming" than the "touching" part. 

Even if you could aim perfectly, your arm would go through theirs, etc.  Right?  Assuming it is "animations on a poseball" not two avatars walking up to each other and bumping into one another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Understood. I was less thinking about the "aiming" than the "touching" part. 

Even if you could aim perfectly, your arm would go through theirs, etc.  Right?  Assuming it is "animations on a poseball" not two avatars walking up to each other and bumping into one another.

Yeah, just having IK animations wouldn't prevent avatars from phasing through each other like ghosts. Like the current implementation with feet and the ground, you'd have to explicitly define what your animation system can collide with (like bones of other avatars).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.