Guidelines for hiding comments or posts for pre-approval?

Sylvia Tamalyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just posted a totally benign (and, I think, helpful) comment in a thread in the Land forum, and got a message that a moderator would have to pre-approve it. At this moment, the comment is hidden, and for the life of me I can't figure out what in my comment would have triggered that response.

Are we not allowed to add links to comments now? I'd just like some clarification so I know what to avoid, as it's honestly a waste of my time to comment on a thread and have said comment hidden for possibly hours until someone sees it is harmless and allows it to become visible. 

I'd add the link to the thread here, but don't want to trigger another message. :(

• Thanks 2

Many of us have had that issue of posts being hidden for a while -- and for the life of me, I still haven't figured out why.  For the few times it has happened to me, I cannot see any reason for it needing approval - and nothing in the post was removed when it finally showed up. 

I think there is actually another thread about it here in the forums -- maybe in this section, maybe General Discussion.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Apparently something about the forum software is a bit aggressive! My comment has now been approved, but maybe that "feature" needs a bit of tweaking. 

at least it was only a few hours an and not months. a while back they had a backlog built up and a bunch of people got posts unblocked to stale discussions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Well, I just got another comment hidden, so I think I will stop trying to help people who ask land questions. If we can't reply in a timely fashion because our comments get hidden, what's the point?

From my limited experience, the algorithm doesn't like it if you "try again" by rephrasing. Maybe just try to get in a "Bad automod; can't post; DM me" or similar and lay off of it for a day.

• Sad 1

Oh, I didn't try again. My prior comment was approved, someone asked a question in response to it, and I replied to their question. I assume it's the links to the FS wiki that are tripping the censors, but it's not making me want to try very hard to help anyone else going forward. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've had a few hidden recently, but only if I used certain words that "should" have been safe but apparently were not.

This was my experience as well. I had to guess that a word (or was it a word contained within a word?) was verboten. I could see the hidden post so I just copy pasted it again as a new post, but slightly rewritten for what I only GUESSED was the bad thing. That post went through. The 2 hours later the hidden one posted. It was weird. I'd rather have the automatic ***** when I forget and use unapproved vocabulary. Funny, not too long ago Amina apparently typo'd artist (flipping the ending s and t) without realizing it, so she thought artist was now a banned word. :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

This was my experience as well. I had to guess that a word (or was it a word contained within a word?) was verboten. I could see the hidden post so I just copy pasted it again as a new post, but slightly rewritten for what I only GUESSED was the bad thing. That post went through. The 2 hours later the hidden one posted. It was weird. I'd rather have the automatic ***** when I forget and use unapproved vocabulary. Funny, not too long ago Amina apparently typo'd artist (flipping the ending s and t) without realizing it, so she thought artist was now a banned word. :)

The common word for sexual assault is the one that got me.  I can understand why!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The common word for sexual assault is the one that got me.  I can understand why!

I'm sure that's why one of my posts got hidden too. I said I didn't think jokes about that & something else were funny, but because I used that word, my post was hidden.

Then I deleted it, because I was upset that it was hidden.

When I replace letters with non-letters in swear words, they go through fine though.  😄 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've had a few hidden recently, but only if I used certain words that "should" have been safe but apparently were not.

The first time this happened to me, I tried changing the wording a bit, but it made no difference.  After that, if a post gets hidden, I simply copy the text out and save it to compare with the post when it finally shows up - which is always within an hour or two.  Every single time, when the post has finally been approved and shown up with no modifications to it.  Only a few times were there ever even words that I questioned.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 606 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.