Why do we have these deploys?

Kelley Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems like everyday there is a restart, deploy, whatever.  I believe in moving forward but can't we have a breather, and enjoy things like the old days.  I think there are too many changes without time to enjoy.

I guess it doesn't matter, it's your site, just a suggestion

Sighs

Kelley  (tired after too many years of games with you)

Agree to that. Restarts all over, day and night, but no real improvement that would explain them.

If field tests are needed why not limit them to selected regions and do an update for the rest once a month.

Well, Lindens really love this weekly deploys so i *zipppp it*

Have a nice time, Monti

i think your exagerating abit too much.... theres a rolling restart once a week (there wasnt one this week so kinda invalids your mini rant here), most of the time they arnt visual niceties but under the hood fixes.. you know that make things work better... and if your complaining about LL being slow with these thing, they have to do alot of testing just so they can give you a decent amount of fps.. and NO you cant compare sl to other places simply because all their stuff is pre rendered on the disk where as SL is real time updates... big difference

Pardon me, but what have pre-rendered or not to do with the deploys ? Nothing.

Having more than 2 versions of the serversoftware running across the grid doesn´t sound stable. Maybe there was no restarts this week but then there was no deploy, right.

Anyway i find it very confusing to get this "different server version..." all the time, TPing around. Test new things on limited land and when it runs fine release to the world.

My opinion on that nothing to discuss but as it´s not my choice who cares.

apparently you dont realise but thats what the release candidate sims are for?..You cant have a totally seperate grid which is only limited by the people who bother to log into it.... where as this way they get a wider range of testing on many many scripts, prims and all around objects

@Monti

First point; Pre-rendering.....it essentially mean that the shadows, and a good deal else is "pre-rendered" or pre-created by the site that you are gaming, so your graphics card has to work less hard as does your CPU.  The downside is that you have NO EDITORIAL CONTROL over those items.  In SL you do.  That is a very substantial difference, and for those who wish to create their own stuff it is a massive advantage, even if it is slower and laggy (client side mostly).

Second , the point of having multiple server-software versions out on limited sections of the grid is so ithat genuine real-time testing of the software by a variety of clients can be done before the entire grid is subjected to it.  There is a slight instability cost to be paid for it, but as anyone caught out by the 1.40 disaster last year would tell you, it is infinitely preferable.

The restarts are weekly, and as far as I recall always have been...I can remember when SL would be effectively closed for half the day while sim hosts were restarted.

It might not be the "best possible" solution for everyone, but the resulting pain is a very great deal less.

I agree it isn't fun, but I realy see some improvements since 2008. Maybe not the visual techniques, but the quality of SL improved my opinion.

I remember times when I was ruthed just because of the lag. Sims where it never was possible to walk normal because of sculpts. The same sculpted sims are walkable these days.

And I remember also waiting for hours to be able to log in because the servers couldn't handle more than 70,000 people the same time online.

Even if you don't see improvements, it doesn't mean there aren't improvements. And often you won't notice, untill you look back after a while. Beside of this Linden can't improve drasticly, because they have to test everything careful. We all have different computers with all different quality. What works for the one doesn't work for the other. If Linden would upgrade with big steps, would you be happy if your computer wouldn't run SL normally anymore?

The restarts are my opinion necessary. We all need to clean our computer from time to time to make it faster. Since SL is virtual and is located on a computer. It needs to clear its cache often. We are with a lot of people in SL. We spread a lot of data.

So I agree with Ayesha. It isn't always fun, but necessary.

Hugs

Justum

why? because it's actually more stable than testing a handful of regions on beta then shipping those changes to the entire grid to find out someone has done something completely ignorant (users or lindens, both of which have happened).

in fact, the beta grid is still used to do that, but now, we get limited rolls to RC channel servers, to make sure unexpected problems get caught before they have to do rollbacks to the entire grid... most of the time. Murphy likes to rear his ugly head whenever he can.

if you want to know what improvements are being made, simply click on those links provided to see what was added. sometimes it's something you care about, sometimes it's something you don't, and sometimes it's back end changes that either set up for one of those two, or make the grid more scalable, stable, or secure. but it's always something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.