SL2 Viewer - Please Stop Developing!

Steph Catseye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ugg i agree i can't stand the constant downloads. it seems every other day i have to download another freaking update. And this ones even worse it's crashing constantly. Right now I can't even log in and if I do by some miracle get through, I just crash again seconds later. Ugg sooo ridiculous :matte-motes-angry: You know I was here when SL was at year 4 and the graphics aren't really that much different. SO STOP THE STUPID UPDATES! It just takes up more of our computers memory. :matte-motes-mad:

actually they have sped up viewer development. I view that as a good thing, as it means bugs get fixed faster and features get rolled out faster as well. The reason they put automatic updates in viewer 2 is so people wouldn't have to check all the time if there was an update and could get those features and because of lazy people that wouldn't bother updating even if they were told about it. Saying its updating every day is an exaggeration, the closest releases were 6 days apart, usually its every 2 or 3 weeks. This is better than waiting 3 or 4 months to get an update to the viewer.

We cant hold back the whole grid because people want SL to run on their 6 year old computers.it also does not take more memory, as when it installs a new version, it usually deletes the old one. The updates to SL viewers are likely not the cause of your issues in SL, it more likely is server issues and connection issues, or having an old computer.

I have to admit I have been very frustrated by this last 'upgrade'. It is as though I had a onboard graphics card now instead of one with 1 gig ram. Horrible. I crash frequently - usually am 'involuntarily logged out' of a sim rather than being able to TP out of it. Then there's the rebuilding my avatar ever day again - reloading skin, shape, eye brows, hair, eye balls and so forth.

And the textures in the sims are not loading completely - trees not fully rezzed Its so disheartening if I didnt have some experience already in SL I might be tempted to just give up. I wish I had not trusted them when they bragged on how great this new version was - I have had nothing but problems since I installed it.

I think I will uninstall and go back to previous version - this one sucks.

If you don't want to update... don't update? It doesn't force you to click the orange box to update.

And people fail to realize that as LL actively develops their viewer, the TPVs merge all of LL's changes into their third party viewers. So if LL decided to stop developing an offical viewer then it would be pretty bad. Especially since no group can get together and take on the larger projects that LL has done, and that only LL has access to the server to make the bigger projects work.

Auto update with the setting on the log on page was ok, but suddenly hiding the auto update option in the preferences instead was a sucky and frankly rude thing to do. 

Since the option is on by default, anyone who was not getting auto-updates made the effort to turn it off, and were not getting updates out of preference rather than laziness.  Hiding the option so we got forced updates until we found the setting hidden away in preferences it is not the way forward.  After all, once everyone finds it again, what will they do next time?  Hide the settings on my neighbour's computer (I expect they'd try this if they thought they could).

@Anaiya. The Software Update selector is under Preferences > Setup so hardly hidden. Seems a sensible place to have it especially as it's on the same tab as the Reset button for clearing cache so easily seen. I suggest you put aside a few minutes some day to flick through the the various preference tabs to familiarise yourself with the options available.

Viewer 1 had 11 Preference tabs while Viewer 2 only has 8 so Preferences has already been simplified. You can only have so many options on one tab before it becomes cluttered and more difficult to find what you're looking for.

Oi's not really hidden, its on the page where you reset cache. Frankly, few people need to disable auto-updates anyway. The only reason most do not update is because they are impatient or lazy, one or the other. Some have hardware issues, but that is also usually an update issue, either updating graphics drivers or updating hardware.

Linden Lab is not perfect, but I much prefer the autoupdate so I don't have to nag viewer 2 people to update their viewer. When people don't update their viewer then they complain about this and that when it would take just 5 minutes to update the viewer and the new version has likely solved the issue.

Simply put, there is no reason to disable autoupdates. it is a useful feature. I don't even run viewer 2 much but i keep up with its development in the blog and wiki. Most people just don't care whats in the new version. If you disable the autoupdate because you dont want a little notice that an update is ready or because you cant wait a few minutes then yeah, thats impatience. 

Also, not all problems are on SL are because of viewer updates. They do have server problems, so it is on LL's end sometimes. In addition, some people have bad connections which is an ISP problem. And frankly some people have crappy hardware that can't run SL well. Don't single out viewer updates for problems, as it could be any number of issues.

Not getting the updates is not caused by laziness.  How can it be when the auto update setting is on by default?  People might get updates because they are too lazy to turn the setting off, (or too lazy to hunt for it now that it's not on the log on screen) but they are not getting updates because they are too lazy to not turn take the effort to turn it off....

You might think it's not hidden, but they did not move it to make it easier to find.   I do not see the relevance of your comments about having too many preferences on a tab.  They moved it to a tab, not away from one.

That setting did not move itself.  Someone spent their working hours and LL resources moving it even though the only people effected by this change are inconvenienced. 

People who want the setting on are not effected and derive no benefit whatsoeve from this unnecessary change.  The only people effected are those who want it off and now must find it, and then take extra steps every time they update their viewer.

@ Serith:  It has gone from impossible to miss on viewer-launch (being on the log on screen) to being in a tab, in a drop down menu. It has gone from being in plain view every time you open your viewer, to only visible if you go into a menu and navigate to the correct tab.   If you do not like to use the word "hidden" for something that has been made harder to find, then you are welcome to use the word "tidied", or "relocated", or whatever else you prefer.  The thread starter obviously had not found it, but that does not mean you have to use the word "hidden" if you prefer not to.

I personally do not know anyone who avoids updates for any reason other than that LL are notorious for rolling out poorly performing, bug ridden viewers.  That's why I chose to take the effort to turn the setting off, repeatedly (every time I updated in fact, since it always defaults to auto update on when a new update is installed).

I didn't mention anything about laziness. Perhaps you're confusing previous posts.

Personally, I'm quite happy with the way things are. I think it's better to have all viewer options in the one place and that's Preferences. I do of course respect your right to take a different view on that.

Far as I can recall, my setting to update manually holds between uninstalling and installing new viewers. I never changed the setting the last time and it still says manually update. If when uninstalling you manually delete your settings folder in AppData, then you would need to reset it again.

Let me say this... As a website look/interface the Secondlife.com look is great

As a viewer look/interface.. it totally sucks. always has. 

Most of v2's growth has been due to it is shoved down the throat of anyone joining SL brand new and doesn't know about any of the v1 viewers available. Everything coded into v2 has been incorporated into v1 based viewers like Phoenix.

I heard yesterday morning that LL has plans to soon lock out all v1 based viewers, hence the work on Firestorm by Phoenix... And unfortunately that means for me the end of enjoying SL permanently. Phoenix (and other v1) have been minimal in their interface, only there when you want something to be there. v2 is like big ugly you can't resize the window of friends etc.

You're milage with v2 may vary but mine has been the same: big ugly and not nearly as useful as v1

• 2 weeks later...

i just downloaded 2.7.4, thinking dutifully that like other updates there would some minor improvements and some glitches that might be lived with. as a macbook pro user who has had her share of difficulties with sl viewers, today's 'premier' is not a good one. not only would my avi not materialize, but my entire sim has been reduced to a sand dune....

people, what kind of testing is done before you roll these things out? i'm inclined to agree with that thread that simply said: 'STOP IT!'. sometimes, one should leave well enough alone--particularly if the repercussions of the next step have not been adequately anticipated.

i appreciate what you attempt  to do in refining our experiences on sl and i'm sure that your intentions are good. but as my Mama used to  say 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions' and this viewer appears, at the moment, to be headed in that direction.

refine..i know you must. test, always. and DON'T forget those of us who choose mac as our means of being in this life.

sb~

• 5 months later...

I don't use the Linden Lab viewer myself, and there have been a couple of times when reports have suggested that the upgrade was not a success, in terms of performance. There's some sense to automatic upgrades. It doesn't excuse the poor communication, such as has masked the big changes of the last few months.

I have, a few times, experienced automatic upgrades on other software which have been a disaster. It's something which has to be done right, because of the software supplier is effectively being given permission to manipulate a customer's computer. It's one of those potentially expensive legal problems if something goes wrong: what permissions did you ask for, and what did you assume without good cause?

Telling a customer that an upgrade is out, even nagging them about it is a lot safer, legally, when things go wrong. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.