How To Properly Skew An Avatar?

MajikVixen Lorefield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am confused and upset because I've been in SL "long enough to know better" but in fact, I do not.  I'm missing 5 years, and then when I returned, nobody believed I was still n00b, so I did the best I could to fill in the blanks ...but you know, Newcomer Friendly places only have NCs on things like how to make L$, or even how to condense your inventory, and sometimes you can find a height measurer, but the particulars are NOT explained clearly, and I need them to be, pretty please...

I honestly thought that we were going in a realistic sort of direction, so my avatar height is based off of RL me.  So, ok, if I'm really short/"realistic", I end up looking like a child in a lot of animations or whatever, etc..  But then someone tried to explain that the taller you are, the less curvy your avatar becomes.  Which seems odd to me, because you should be able to adjust it --but I guess there's an SL limit, which ends up leaving a lot of ppl disappointed in those situations.  How tall are the women/men supposed to be??

---> So what is the official "unofficial" answer as to how one is supposed to properly skew their avatar, so that one can interact more fluidly with things of an adult nature?  And please don't say something like, that it's on an "individual basis" or "however you want to personalize your avatar," because I find myself very frustrated and would really like to pin-point an actual answer to go off of.

Thank you for your honest answers.

Edited by MajikVixen Lorefield

5 answers to this question

size up a bit, try your animations and see when it gets "best" .
Most are indeed made for larger avatars, because the purists about sizes, never had a majority, and in the "older"days many people slammed all sliders as far to the right as possible.
I don't think you get in trouble with your curves as long you don't go in extremes.

to measure your hight?.. rezz a prim and match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MajikVixen Lorefield said:

So what is the official "unofficial" answer as to how one is supposed to properly skew their avatar, so that one can interact more fluidly with things of an adult nature?  And please don't say something like, that it's on an "individual basis" or "however you want to personalize your avatar," because I find myself very frustrated and would really like to pin-point an actual answer to go off of.

The problem is, it is relative.

There are places and communities where realistic height is not a problem, and if someone walks in with a 7 foot avatar, they're the weird one out. On the flip side, a realistically sized avatar will appear out of place in a room full of +7 foot avatars.

In a social environment your options really are to just dress for the location you're in, or ignore the people freaking out about your height, or find a different location.

In furry communities, height has never been a problem. It's not uncommon to see large size differences between avatars, and nobody gets accused of being a child. But human-focused places are much more paranoid about height alone, ignoring even the current fashion crazes.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MajikVixen Lorefield said:

properly skew their avatar, so that one can interact more fluidly with things of an adult nature

In this situation, the only aspect to consider is the size of your partner IMO.   Two shorter avatars together is going to work much better than 1 being short and the other tall.  Animations are built with this in mind.  

• Like 2

As Wulfie says, it is relative.   You might need to go with the flow, so to speak, based on where you like to hang out.  If you hang out in adult places, make sure you Avatar does not look like a child - and depending on the place and who else hangs out there, you might need to size up a bit.   Don't let any place pressure you into a massive change though.

My Avatar measures 1.71 meters / 5.62 feet, per the Firestorm Edit Shape windows (flat footed without any shoe base).  The is a smidgen taller than I am in RL.  In many places, I do appear short compared to others there, but there is nothing about me that would make anyone think "child avatar".  That is what matters.  Do you actually look like a child?  

Granted, some places will still kick you out if your are below some designated height that they have arbitrarily determined is proper for an adult.  But, hey, do you really want to hang with such idiots anyway?

• Like 1

Well. When I'm at clubs and "regular" places it seems like my avatar height of 6.17 feet (according to FS) is about right. At my favorite music clubs I'm about average to tall average (like if I were 5"10" in RL). At this height the furniture I buy at regular places works, my kitchen counters are ok out of the box (yup, depends on the store). Etc.

However, it has been my experience that once you travel to "adult land" the avatars get maxed out. Most of the furniture with animations seem to be set for a female human someone at least 7 feet tall. The males are much taller. So you do get into a problem with solo furniture and also couples+ items. Most of my adult experience has been on BDSM sims so that's the "furniture" I'm used to, and I can't speak to "regular" sex furniture, but a lot of the big brands do both, so I'm thinking it is across the board adult.  

So in this case it depends on the place, the furniture, and the "normal" avatar for that area.

ETA: This has been my avatar height for 13 years, give or take a smidge. It works for me.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.