Banlines...

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LOL....someone once had some prim walls made around their property with a texture all over, saying in red angry banline-esque lettering "CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF CUSS OFF" . I'm assuming it was to return a 'favour' to a neighbour. Awful but funny.

Warning that it adds a ban line or whatever it does is a great idea. I think as Qie said most people do use them for reasons other than they intended. For instance a ban line on an empty parcel - why? A ban line on a parcel with nothing at ground level but everything at 3000m in a skybox - why? 

I do see reasons for orbs in skyboxes. Heard many stories of people just living in other people's skyboxes and like Goldilocks making a mess. At least shut the door and put the poseballs away again. Lol

I gave up trying to keep people out and moved into the sky. I've still had people peeking in my windows! Lol not in planes either.

I can see a very fast orb in some situations I guess, if it is somewhere no one should otherwise be. But there would be a small chance I could float up there or near it if I were exploring in some air craft. Not on purpose. I hope it would not be set to kill. Lol

Ha ha ha now that would make people think twice about using them. Sweet justice indeed.

I have an open garden, that anyone can visit, and my neighbours and friends have adjoining land which is the same. We theme it consistently so that the area is pleasant. We've had others living on 512s by us that had their buildings taking up all the space they own, and banlines, so that they effectively got to enjoy all our landscaping for free without returning anything. (Not that I'd have any interest in sitting in their loungeroom on their fugly beige 1980's era torus sofa staring at their cliche unicorn-and-boobs "art") I had a girl once set up a cement-and-flourescent-grafitti shop right in the middle of our gardenny area, also taking every single inch of her rented 512 (in fact she had me move a tree that was touching her building by one pixel as she had the monstrosity squeezed in so tightly). Her shop relied upon my open garden to supply a landing area as her doorway was right on the parcel boundary. But I'm starting to turn whiney...time to end this post and go make coffee :)

LOL I agree it is extreme & it wasn`t a serious suggestion as I`m sure you know, but there are a LOT of uneducated landowners out there that stick banlines on & just leave them, even for an empty plot with a skybox at 3000m and because they can't see them I bet most don`t even realise they left it on. These particular cases serve absolutely no purpose other than being really annoying to other sim users.

They can switch off build, scripts and object entry and sit up in there skybox with no banlines on and they would be just as secure/protected whatever as the way they have chosen to do it.

I don`t think anyone is objecting to "responsible" use of banlines.

I own land on a sim where one owner has several 512s all over the sim, all empy, all with banlines up & some even for sale & several other landowners have descriptions on their plots complaining about this person`s banlines. Seriously, whats the point??? We couldn`t even get on to the plots we bought there. I will buy them all and switch off the banlines eventually lol :D

A banline story:

Neighbor had these wall's with pictures of mountains and sky around her land. Fullbright to ruin the night. She also had banlines. I asked her to make my side of the wall's invisible. No reply. So i rezzed a wall with banline texture on her side.

Later a linden arrived. I detected the linden and sent IM to him. The linden told me that the banline wall of mine ruins the view. I told him that the banline and fullbright picture of RL ruin my view. The linden told the banline wall made from prims ruin the view also for people behind the land of my neighbor. I told the linden that i talked with the people who used to live there, and that they all told me they moved away cause this neighbor of mine had so ugly land.

(i once even got IM from a person who live almost 2 sims away. This person asked if im friends with my neighbor and if i could ask her to remove the ugly full bright wall's)

I told that i can change the banline texture to fullbright default wood, which clearly is allowed all over SL. The neighbor finally agreed to make my side of her crappy wall invisible.

The linden told me that since i was co-operative, i didnt get official warning for my actions.

But the neighbor still had banlines. So i made a gadget to individually ban every person detected on the land of my neighbor. I guess they got tired of looking the banlines. They removed their banlines, and i removed them from my ban list. Nowdays the neighbor don't even have the ugly wall's anymore. Too bad they still lag the sim with temp rezzers to go over their prim quota.

Living in mainland is lil bit tricky sometimes. But still worth it. I love mainland. All other neighbors nearby are nice and well behaving.

It isn't allowed? I didn't know that.

There is also abandoned land sometimes with a ban line around it. 

With for sale land I've IMed the owner/seller in the past, to let them know. (Especially if it is near a road or is ocean land.) One person basically taunted me saying buy it and remove it yourself, also, that they didn't care. That might've been the last time I tried to help a land seller with a ban line up.  ;)  

If it was abandoned land and had a ban line I've put in a ticket about that in the past. I thought whoever lived or ran a business next to that was probably sick of flying around it.

I have no idea why people do such things. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.