Any Suggestions on how to use the Shader/Shadow features?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

which viewer are you using?  Regardless, whatever you are using, your setting will always be dictated by the computer you are using and it's capabilities.  If you have a full on gaming box, crank everything up except shadows.  I have yet to see a computer that runs SL shadows well without some kind of lag.

Best thing you can do is experiment.

Shadow and Lighting, as Chelsea says, put a lot of strain on your graphics card. To get good framerates you will need a powerful card. Even then, I can't imagine that it is possible to have shadows on all the time. (But I might just be lacking imagination :))

- Luc -

I run the new viewer 2 with shadows and ambient occlusion (I don't really think Depth of Field is any good unless you are doing machinima) with no problems and I get a minimum of 25 frames and often 40+, so I'd claim that my computer runs it without problems/lag.

I have an i5 with 8Gb RAM and a GTX 560ti. I did experience grave problems running SL both with and without shadow, etc. at first until I removed my antivirus program and installed a free light weight one.

To get the best result with shadows I recommend you play around with adjusting them in the debug settings to achieve a better shadow quality.

Ambient occlusion is another matter. It is quite grainy and I have not found anyway to amend this. I still prefer it on. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4687 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.