The OMT - Operation Mainland Transit

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

One must ask one's self, what is the real problem here? Will Second Life be "improved" by making more lists of "interesting places constructed by LDPW"? And these additional lists will be maintained... as long as SL endures?

No clue.

But isn't the real problem the current World Map? Not only does it fail to render useful things like mesh roads, it has no annotations other than region info and sky map graphics (which are only available on resident parcels and not allowed in Bellisseria).

Would not a World Map overlay feature be useful? Something like the way Google or Apple maps can show you stuff.

100% agree.

Personally, my goto guides for new places are Inara Pey's blog, the good ol' Destination Guide and for shopping, Seraphim .

I love those too! The Destination Guide is fabulous, Inara Pey is one of my favorites, and Seraphim is an amazing source for stuff, too! I also look at them regularly and refer people to look at them as well.  :) I don't think there is a 'real problem' per say. In fact, I'm not looking to 'solve a problem' with the OMT. I just want to play with a different way to expose places to explore that don't involve lists - especially ones that people may or may not know about. Nothing wrong with having a little build project that you having fun with, right?

I like the idea of a World Map, for sure! I wouldn't know how to do that though - I've seen something similar in a CasperLet prim but it only displayed for one region. Sounds like a cool idea for someone to take on! 

I totally agree about how important it is to drive/fly/walk...but not everyone has loads of time to do the 'leg work'. Sometimes they only have a few hours, and they want to check out a few places without having to hunt them down themselves - maybe thats who will come visit when it's finally open. Maybe no one will? Who knows! :) But for now, it's been fun seeing all these new places and logging them and taking pictures! It's allowing me to learn my virtual geography, get -away- from lists, and have some fun building something that feels immersive to me. 

To each their own, right? 

Edited by Feorie Frimon
typos
  • Like 3

Thanks for the reply Prok, your post highlights my list incomplete forgetting the Tethys rings game excusable but the dam at the end of Riverewalk a glaring omission ! 

I am very interested in the notecards you reference and I can think of additional uses for the script central notecard database thing. I had almost forgotten I was asked at my yacht clubs last agm to compile a list of members parcels with water access open to the public. It sounds like it would serve that purpose as well as for a mole builds list 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Thanks for the reply Prok, your post highlights my list incomplete forgetting the Tethys rings game excusable but the dam at the end of Riverewalk a glaring omission ! 

I am very interested in the notecards you reference and I can think of additional uses for the script central notecard database thing. I had almost forgotten I was asked at my yacht clubs last agm to compile a list of members parcels with water access open to the public. It sounds like it would serve that purpose as well as for a mole builds list 

Sounds cool @Aethelwine  - open water access is \o/  😍(And thanks again for all the links! What a list! Wow!)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:
15 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

Will Second Life be "improved" by making more lists of "interesting places constructed by LDPW"?

Will Second Life be improved?  Yes, absolutely.  Every project Feorie embarks upon does exactly that, I have come to understand.  Improved for the kinds of Residents that see the value in it and rely on the usefulness of it.  SL is used by so many for so many different reasons; one project doesn't have to touch every single Resident in order for it to be valuable.  But for those who find the work of value -- and especially for those who find actually doing of the work enjoyable -- the improvement is immediate.

I'm impressed, Feorie, it's a great project ❤️

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Virtue Demina said:

Will Second Life be improved?  Yes, absolutely.  Every project Feorie embarks upon does exactly that, I have come to understand.  Improved for the kinds of Residents that see the value in it and rely on the usefulness of it.  SL is used by so many for so many different reasons; one project doesn't have to touch every single Resident in order for it to be valuable.  But for those who find the work of value -- and especially for those who find actually doing of the work enjoyable -- the improvement is immediate.

I'm impressed, Feorie, it's a great project ❤️

Sure, at one level, a project like this is "useful," and can't likely aspire to grid-wide or multi-continent presence unless the owner has endless resources to buy sometimes highly overpriced land. While focused on "the community" and "historical Linden sites," it *is* on resident-owned small parcels, likely of 128 or higher to show up in search and fit a small "subway" build. The owner might or might not use it to advertise other aspects of her business or her commerce circle's business and non-profit projects enhancing reputation. That's how SL works and it's fine -- people need to get tier paid and need to draw people to their projects in a world with crippled search and advertising capacity.

But I think it's important to look at the history of aspiring grid-wide projects and how they impact the Mainland, and mainly for the worse. It's not merely about this or that person's project. It's about the nascent Metaverse and how that replicates. Philip Rosedale has been very vocal about what the Metaverse should not be and really alone in the wilderness of Metaversal wannabee Big IT -- and that is he is adamant that it is "not for everybody," should *not* be built on blockchain; should have capacity for collaborative builds and a contiguous nature and so on.

I think he himself could focus more on inworld governance and democracy. His own world is replete of examples, some of his making, of the "tragedy of the commons" which isn't just about one person's sheep eating all the grass on the commons but about the nature of the commons itself and how it is governed. It is not merely about commercial interests but the interests of non-commercial reputational enhancement such as to gain recognition and social control in a closed society.

I have put some of this history on my blog.

Generally, the Lindens' formula seems to have been in the last 4 years to throw up their hands at the ills of the Mainland, some of which came from conflict vectors they themselves created, and to drive customers to Bellisseria. Then, seeing they needed to still get reluctant Mainlanders to take the plunge to Belli if they had premium accounts (or not), they devised the BBB "Embassy" system, the stamp game, and events like NatureCon. Their purpose isn't merely to sell premiums but to provide the perennially-demanded "things to do". 

While these all have their pluses, they have decided minuses in that they funnel Mainland traffic to a select few groups and ignore or avidly block others, and they tend to turn the Mainland into a safari, where you make short, safe trips to culled and vetted locations in the hands of a few, and where land, if it is to be bought, is to be managed closely by select groups with restricted activities. 

But some of us live here. Fortunately, the Mainland is still big enough and wild enough for a variety of people and groups, large and small, to build their dreams. Will that last?

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 6:07 PM, diamond Marchant said:

Personally, my goto guides for new places are Inara Pey's blog, the good ol' Destination Guide and for shopping, Seraphim .

Those are all great sources of information and I use them myself.  The difference being the majority of places in all of those are private estates not mainland.  

You can't fly or drive to any of those places.  Isn't the whole point of this thread to get people to explore mainland sites?

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.