Name Change Updates - Your thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm waiting for them to let you pick a name...

Give me the last name Mori and I'm filing my ticket and sending them $15.

Until I can use my usual name rather than needing to pick one that just doesn't suck from a list that has things like fluffybutt and the eternal Morningstar I'll stick with the one I have.

• Like 6

When they launches premium plus the name changes for them were $15 but you had to raise a ticket to get that price - nice that they updated the site to include the price now.

Also nice that they have reduced the fee for "normal" premium plans and also allowed the non-subscribers to have the option.

What I would like though is for them to really consider recycling some of the historic surnames that SL has had over the years and having them as options that change on a monthly basis instead of coming up with more and more outlandish options.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 12:04 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Quote: Not just the Premium subscribers that have always been able to do so, but all of our Basic accounts as well!

Bit of an untruth there. Maybe the person who wrote it is new to Linden Lab and actually believes it, but it's definitely untrue.

Quote: ... but all of our Basic accounts as well! This is something we’ve been trying to offer for a long time

Yeah, right. Who wrote that stuff? New users might believe it, but really!

What I'd read before was that changing names was alot of work, and thus expensive. If they've found a way to make residents happy about being able to change their name AND to be happy to pay for the privilege, then I think they HAVE been trying to offer THIS for a long time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of things SL says is a lot of work simply is not and changing a name is not a lot of work. Certainly not $50 worth of work. It may take time for it to filter through all the databases but the actual changing of the name is pretty simple.

• Like 6

On 8/4/2022 at 3:04 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Quote: Not just the Premium subscribers that have always been able to do so, but all of our Basic accounts as well!

Bit of an untruth there. Maybe the person who wrote it is new to Linden Lab and actually believes it, but it's definitely untrue.

Since name changes were introduced, Premium members have always had the option.  That is how I interpreted what was said and not meaning since last names were removed.   

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Since name changes were introduced, Premium members have always had the option.  That is how I interpreted what was said and not meaning since last names were removed.   

Your interpretation is correct, but that's not what was written. Misleading wording like that is not allowed in advertising. Not here in the UK, anway.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:37 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I would love to "gift" a name change to my man so he could nuke the "Resident" name.

I always thought the whole LL Digi Transferable Gift Cards thing would help boost the economy very positively, people could have raffles in clubs to win a free last name or in a hunt the prize could be a 1yr premium member gift card. or like your pointing out a gift for a loved one.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 7:35 PM, Paul Hexem said:

I've been saying for years that many of the people in Linden Lab are lazy, incompetent, or both. Are we surprised they fail at math too?

No, because the $11.99 is a recurring expense.

I see this is my opportunity to pay $49.99 to change the name of "Dear Leader" -- but I think not. I think by having this name, that dormant account keeps a griefer from using it. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, because the $11.99 is a recurring expense.

I see this is my opportunity to pay $49.99 to change the name of "Dear Leader" -- but I think not. I think by having this name, that dormant account keeps a griefer from using it. 

Can we just give you our L$ instead? You can call us names - it's a win-win!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, norajulian said:

My thoughts: why have a message to submit favorite names if you aren’t going to choose from those? 

I have a hard time believing that anyone suggested Philbert, Hogwood, or half the names up there right now. 

... the input from residents was asked long before the name change was released, i'm pretty sure a lot of those are from those processes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

... the input from residents was asked long before the name change was released, i'm pretty sure a lot of those are from those processes.

Yes, I’m aware. I still stand by what I said. 😊 My thoughts. 😉 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, norajulian said:

My thoughts: why have a message to submit favorite names if you aren’t going to choose from those? 

I have a hard time believing that anyone suggested Philbert, Hogwood, or half the names up there right now. 

I'm surprised that you were even able to think of a valid Last Name to suggest, all the names that I wanted to suggest were old names after checking the old Last Names page.

I think this limitation really has an effect on why we have the current last names in the way that they are, because the Old Last Names already have a huge group which we aren't allowed to pick.

In the end, I really hope that the reason of this decision isn't a technical limitation and they consider to bring them back for selection.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 5:52 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

LOL

So, you can pay LL $49.99 to change your name as a Basic account.

Or you can pay them $11.99 for one month of Premium and then pay $34.99 for the name change -- for a total of $46.98 -- and get a month's worth of Stipends and other Premium benefits, all for less money.

heavy sigh. My brain just doesn't work like that! I wish my brain worked like that!  That's rather brill, in my book, Lil.

But I don't want to change my name. After all of these years, Seicher (spelled wrong, even for a made up name) Rae iz me.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

There can't be any backend operational reasons to prevent it, but they have said a few times that the previous names will not come back.

I'm glad of that. I like seeing some of the old names and knowing the era. Like "Oh"... being old should have some benefit, yeah?

ETA: So, I agree with "wouldn't it be nice if we could just pick our own last names" with the exception there be a list of names you can't pick, which would be the old legacy names or something. Which would be... a compromise and making few people happy! :) If I used my alts more, I'd really want to get rid of that stupid "resident" last name.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3

On 8/3/2022 at 11:52 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

LOL

So, you can pay LL $49.99 to change your name as a Basic account.

Or you can pay them $11.99 for one month of Premium and then pay $34.99 for the name change -- for a total of $46.98 -- and get a month's worth of Stipends and other Premium benefits, all for less money.

don't forget the VAT ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Just wished the Lab never changed the naming system back in 2010. That was one of their worst change I can think of.

M. Linden's shadow and his deeds still effect us all to this very day.

The lab has made it a seasonal holiday yearly to screw something up or we all might become worried😁

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.