Welcome to the puppet show!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm sure if someone gets banned it's of their own doing. The mods are smart enough to see such ploys, don't you think?

Yes, and I don't think it's especially cunning. I'm sure the mods know all the tricks that trolls use and can also see when a troll puppet is an alt of someone else.

A little while ago there was a poster who kept asking the same question over and over again. People on the thread kept trying to give sensible responses, even when it should have been obvious that this person was not changing his position no matter what they said.

One of our posters who is a moderator elsewhere mentioned a few types of troll tactics on another thread. I wasn't familiar with these, so I googled them. Turns out what that troll had been doing is called Sealioning.

I'm pretty sure the mods here would've known that, so if they'd been alerted to it, they probably would've cleaned up or killed that thread earlier.

Funny thing (funny strange, not funny ha-ha), some of the sock postings are no "stranger" than others which get a reaction from "us".  

Somebody gets their jollies in odd ways.

Mebbe they are all part of one of those sykolojical esspearmints, collage stuph?

Or, the poster watches our reactions and AR's us for funzies, according to the new rules.

Iz lonely AR party, fur shure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Funny thing (funny strange, not funny ha-ha), some of the sock postings are no "stranger" than others which get a reaction from "us".  

Somebody gets their jollies in odd ways.

Mebbe they are all part of one of those sykolojical esspearmints, collage stuph?

Or, the poster watches our reactions and AR's us for funzies, according to the new rules.

Iz lonely AR party, fur shure.

I think most internet trolls are pretty lonely, insecure people in RL. I had one housemate who described himself as a troll on some forum. He thought of himself as the intellectual kind. In RL his life was pretty messed up, but being able to outwit other posters on his favorite forum made him feel better about himself.

@Persephone Emerald It is difficult to know what motivates a person, unless they tell us. Getting any sense of what the numbers are is practically impossible.

When I moderated I learned a lot from those with more experience with trolls. Suffice to say there were good trolls, bad ones, and annoying ones. I saw more annoying ones than the good and bad combined. But that is/was my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes, and I don't think it's especially cunning. I'm sure the mods know all the tricks that trolls use and can also see when a troll puppet is an alt of someone else.

A little while ago there was a poster who kept asking the same question over and over again. People on the thread kept trying to give sensible responses, even when it should have been obvious that this person was not changing his position no matter what they said.

One of our posters who is a moderator elsewhere mentioned a few types of troll tactics on another thread. I wasn't familiar with these, so I googled them. Turns out what that troll had been doing is called Sealioning.

I'm pretty sure the mods here would've known that, so if they'd been alerted to it, they probably would've cleaned up or killed that thread earlier.

Ran into that stuff many times on a couple boards I'm a Mod on. One thing I try to do on those board is "rerail" the thread and do a clean-up of offending posts. I've seen some groups in world go crazy too with trolls.  Sometimes one of group mods will eject them, they come in with a new alt and start all over.

• Thanks 1

A day or so I typed about my confusion regarding correlation and causation, and here I am again, same thing! Seems I popped back in here about the time this other thing started happening. Now in the past, in the Forum, there would be a kernel of people doing forensic syntax scrutiny, among other things. So, coincidence in this occurrence?   

giphy.gif

I think I'm accidentally responsible for the new rules, too, come to think about it. Everything happens all at once!

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

A day or so I typed about my confusion regarding correlation and causation, and here I am again, same thing! Seems I popped back in here about the time this other thing started happening. Now in the past, in the Forum, there would be a kernel of people doing forensic syntax scrutiny, among other things. So, coincidence in this occurrence?   

giphy.gif

I think I'm accidentally responsible for the new rules, too, come to think about it. Everything happens all at once!

Just because it's easy to feel like the world revolves around us, that doesn't mean that we cause it to spin.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Just because it's easy to feel like the world revolves around us, that doesn't mean that we cause it to spin.

Just because it doesn't have to does mean it can't or doesn't.

Things look pretty spin-y from here...

Edited to add that in case of new user: This poster is usually commenting with tongue firmly in cheek, usually is making things up, is often clueless... but darn adorable!

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Just because it doesn't have to does mean it can't or doesn't.

Things look pretty spin-y from here...

Edited to add that in case of new user: This poster is usually commenting with tongue firmly in cheek, usually is making things up, is often clueless... but darn adorable!

When is starts to spin really fast, just get in the center point , get on your tippy toes so that everything is spinning around you. then stick your hand out and enjoy all the beoch slap points you will gain in no time at all.:D

🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.