Why Does Fashion Industry in SL Use "No Transfer" Instead of "No Copy" ?

YukiKikasare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

many of the stores i go to, or have been to, have their clothing articles as "no transfer" as opposed to "no copy". i am finding this frustrating. i have stopped buying clothing from any store which has this set on their articles as a result.

i mean, for me, if i don't wear something, or it collects dust, then i should be able to give it away to someone and lose it from my inventory, especially if i paid $ for it. there so many new people out there who could and would benefit from a small gift like this, and could use something nice if it is only collecting dust (so to speak) in my inventory.

this would be a better option than deleting it . so why can't clothing / fashion stores change this and make their clothing items no copy ?

A few reasons actually as I'm sure you will find out here but the main reason is to allow you to build and save multiple outfits.  Many merchants give you an option of Copy or Transfer, however, this requires at least one extra prim for each object in the store to do this.  As most prefer copy, you get copy for both the sanity of the merchant and the ease of use for the buyer. If there where no prim limits (the driving force behind Linden Labs' income) we would see more merchants with both options.

I wish someone make a script that will give you an option if you want to change the mod of your item (one time only). Fpr example, If you buy a copyable item then you decided to give it away you just change it to transferable one (no undo option) then it will register or inform the creator that the said item has been changed the mod.  

For the possibility of giving birth to a second hand or thrift shop industry, I think it's a good idea but ofcourse there is also cons. Maybe someday we gonna have auction houses here in sl for the rare items;) I think it's fun.

When I buy a dress I oftentimes have to modify it to fit my shape, so therefore it is preferable to buy clothes that are modifiable. Before I modify anything, it is imperative that I be able to make a backup copy. Therefore it must be copyable. If it is then modifiable, copyable, AND transferable, then the merchant loses money because I could buy a dress and give away a copy to all my friends who can then give a copy to all their friends and so on forever. Your idea is a good one, and it would be cool if I could pass on my unused items to others, but for the reasons I just stated, I think is why that cannot happen. :(

what if a  well designed script that will changed the permission of the object from copy to trans and then the script will automatically delete all the copied item of the said product? I think it's possible. I wish i'm a scriptor genius lol 

koto Nizna wrote:

what if a  well designed script that will changed the permission of the object from copy to trans and then the script will automatically delete all the copied item of the said product? I think it's possible. I wish i'm a scriptor genius lol 

I'm not a "scriptor genius" but I am reasonably competent scriptor and I know it's not possible in LSL, I'm sorry to say.   Scripts can't change asset permissions (unless, maybe, you're a Linden in god mode).

It is not possible to change item properties, but with a little work you can make the vendor sell individual versions. Copy only version, mod only version etc.

&koto Nizna you should log into SL, ive made you a free full perm example of my reasoning above. Its very cheese only spend 5 minutes on it. If it is what you ment you should have someone develop it further on for you.

Finrod Ghennyn wrote:

It is not possible to change item properties, but with a little work you can make the vendor sell individual versions. Copy only version, mod only version etc..

Yeah, it's simple enough to make that.   I would think most of any extra work involved would come from dealing with customers who find they've bought the wrong version and want a replacement -- simple enough if it's transfer/no copy, less so if they tell you they wanted a transfer one but bought a copy/no transfer one by mistake.

YukiKikasare wrote:

many of the stores i go to, or have been to, have their clothing articles as "no transfer" as opposed to "no copy". i am finding this frustrating. i have stopped buying clothing from any store which has this set on their articles as a result.

i mean, for me, if i don't wear something, or it collects dust, then i should be able to give it away to someone and lose it from my inventory, especially if i paid $ for it. there so many new people out there who could and would benefit from a small gift like this, and could use something nice if it is only collecting dust (so to speak) in my inventory.

this would be a better option than deleting it . so why can't clothing / fashion stores change this and make their clothing items no copy ?

I generally will NOT shop anywhere where it's Transfer because then it's NO COPY. Actually throw in NO MOD and for clothing (where it has prims) it's pretty guaranteed that i'm not going to purchase. The recent trend to call "Scripted resize that still won't fit properly" as MODIFY and choosing that as the permission in the Marketplace listing is not supported by Linden Labs. I've had it stated that the permissions listed must match the Linden object permissions so i'll also happily flag it as not as advertised, incorrect permisisons every time I get one of these "Modify" but we really only meant with a script because that's the same no?" products.

I am most happy when there is a choice of permissions, but transfer/no copy has an ugly history, so I understand why people hesitate to offer it. There is still one inconvenient way to make even no copy inventory items be duplicated and appear as a legitimate original to the system, and in the past some bugs have made this very easy to do. When those bugs have happened, people could give away or sell copies and still keep one, possibly to make even more copies. Even without those bugs, sellers can feel safer about redeliveries and replacements if the item is not transferable.

As already mentioned when you "destroy" 1-2 no copy outfits trying to fit them or by another reason, you will understand why most brands have copy but no transfer products. On the other side several famous brands (this moment i have "Avid" in my mind) offer transfer but no copy products.

No copy means that when you the item is lost, you can't replace it:  

See this advice:

CAUTION. You can't buy to own.

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2011/04/kit-caution-you-cant-buy-to-own.html

TKR

Virtual goods are not real.  And No-Copy items are especially ephemeral.  They can be lost

• from your inventory
  • from the sim where you have them placed
  • in the process of rezzing or taking back into inventory

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

As already mentioned when you "destroy" 1-2 no copy outfits trying to fit them or by another reason, you will understand why most brands have copy but no transfer products. On the other side several famous brands (this moment i have "Avid" in my mind) offer transfer but no copy products.

Yeah, and they can get away with it because they make such gorgeous clothes -- nevertheless, I buy far less from Avid than otherwise I might, precisely because I know they'll need a lot of adjusting and, even though I'm pretty good by now at making small adjustments to prim clothing, I'm still scared I'm going to trash my lovely new dress or coat.   

I still wince at how much I blew on Avid stuff when I was less experienced with the editing tools and wrecked while trying to fit it, so I never got to wear it.

The previous speaker are right, it's easy to destroy a prim attachment when modifying it, but that is not really a big deal. We sell transfer/no copy for over 4 years now and if someone has messed up with a prim then they sent it back to us and we replaced it.

Also I don't see a danger that secondhand shops can affect our business. We see it as free advertising when people give away our outfits.

However if someone ask for a copy version then they get one. The same should be possible for you too, have you ever asked for a transfer version in one of the shops, i guess the most creator would do one for you.

Yeah, I can't even state how much I absolutely hate no mod clothes. Because NO, resize scripts are not enough. Sometimes when you have to move just one or a couple of prims to keep stuff from going through your avatar's body. Or for clothing layers, being able to cut off the sleeves of a shirt or get pants to fit into your boots, or just tint something a slightly darker shade... God, I wish creators would get this.

I definitely prefer copy over trans, but I can totally see why trans is useful at times. Always great when both options are offered.

Ooooh I need anything clothing related to be mod/copy and do not care about transfer.  With avies of every size and shape hardly anything fits "perfectly" I copy my items in case I mess up when making tweaks and modifcations when tailoring.  I will not even buy a item that is not mod/copy.  If it doesnt fit right would be a total loss.

For every customer that is unhappy that an item is sold no-transfer, there are (likely more than) twenty that wouldn't be customers at all if that item weren't copy/mod.

Perhaps you could contact the creators and ask if they can do a special no-copy/transfer version for you? Many of us don't mind helping if it's possible.

Georg Stonewall wrote:

The previous speaker are right, it's easy to destroy a prim attachment when modifying it, but that is not really a big deal. We sell transfer/no copy for over 4 years now and if someone has messed up with a prim then they sent it back to us and we replaced it.

I know most merchants will happily replace transferrable items if I mess them up while editing them, but I still feel a lot happier working on copyable ones, if only because I know that if I wreck it -- and I still worry about wrecking stuff even though I know I'm pretty competent and careful builder by now, and don't normally mind making minute adjustments to complex items -- that I just junk it and start over, rather than have to drop a line to the creator and maybe not get a reply for a couple of days, because obviously I don't expect makers of clothes to be available 24/7 to customers any more than are scripters.

I'm maxed out on alts, and use them all regularly.

So you would think I'd want transfer to essentially have one wardrobe and pass it around.

But I'm with -almost- everyone else here: give me copy/mod or put a giant warning on the item so I know not to buy it. It does me no good when switching between neko and furry - or cow and horse and raven and human - or bunny and usagi - or dragon and na'vi and twilek - and so on... to not be able to make copies that can fit each form that avatar uses.

And when you're a furry - you find you need everything mod because you're shape is going to be odd somewhere in the body - and resize scripts doen't work when your head goes from round to diamond-like with a beak... :)

But even when just on this neko - as so many have pointed out; its easy to mess up, and backups are vital.

Plus if 2 years down the line I adjust my shape, the builder I got item X from is not going to remember who I was and should be hassled to customize it for me now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.