Items removed?

Taya Carver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Got a message that 2 of my items were removed because they were listed in the wrong catagory, and asked to relist..

The thing is, I have 20 of these items, and they're all in the same catagory, and I believe they are in the correct catagory, they are wall decals used to decorate your home. So why shouldn't they be listed under Home & Garden > Decor ?

I also have 3 listing enhancements on these items for the landing page catagory. I am concerned that this will affect them.

First make sure your keywords are relevant.  If all else fits, file a ticket.  You may also want to look at other post as this question is posted at least once a week.

I include what the item is in the title which seems to help as I have heard with other merchants.  You may want to try this as well if you haven't already.

• Moderators

Taya Carver wrote:

Got a message that 2 of my items were removed because they were listed in the wrong catagory, and asked to relist..

The thing is, I have 20 of these items, and they're all in the same catagory, and I believe they are in the correct catagory, they are wall decals used to decorate your home. So why shouldn't they be listed under Home & Garden > Decor ?

I also have 3 listing enhancements on these items for the landing page catagory. I am concerned that this will affect them.

Greetings!

There is a category dedicated to wall decorations, located here:

Art » Wall Art and Murals

Since the Marketplace Listing Guidelines specifically state to select the most appropriate category for a product listing, if a catgory does exist for the type of product you are listing, it should be placed into that category.

If it isn't placed into that category, it is subject to being unlisted.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab
SL Marketplace Customer Support
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/
http://www.secondlife.com

Thank you very much for your information, I didn't know there was a catagory dedicated specifically for wall decals.

Will this affect my listing enhancements by moving them? Or are we allowed to place listing enhancements on any landing page we wish?

Dakota Linden wrote:

Taya Carver wrote:

Greetings!

There is a category dedicated to wall decorations, located here:

»

Since the Marketplace Listing Guidelines specifically state to select the most appropriate category for a product listing, if a catgory does exist for the type of product you are listing, it should be placed into that category.

If it isn't placed into that category, it is subject to being unlisted.

This is where your rules get silly because it's a toss up whether that category is more approrpriate for a wall decoration than home and garden/decor. Removing someone's listing in this scenario is churlish in the extreme.

Of course if the item is really in the wrong category then it follows that either a machine or person has some other category it thinks the item would better fit.  Many merchants would rather that their product just be put in that category instead of delisted.  There appears to be no reason for not offering an option box to tick on the listing page, that would trigger recategorization rather than delisting in these kinds of circumstances. 

If there is enough certainty that the item belongs elsewhere, to merit delisting, then that's enough certainty to simply move the item automatically if merchants opt for this to happen when they list the item.  This would be the common sense, polite, service orientated, user friendly way to set up your system.

Delisting it rather than recategorizing it trains us to be more dilligent.

If there was no consequence for improperly listing, a lot more products would just end up 'any old place' and some merchants would even double list into slightly wrong but still likely to hit on search categories.

Pulling them down causes people to not want their stuff pulled down, so they work to find the right place for it - thus requiring less maintenance work on LL's end.

I agree with you. If I were listing such things, and I saw Home & Garden>Decor, I wouldn't look any further. That category exactly matches the items, as does Dakota's suggested category. So, imo, those items should be listed in the catgeory that the seller chose.

This is to much like rocket science for LL to understandcommon sense isnt in the span of options for them

they delist items for the stupidist reasons

mine is textures under textures category GO FIGURE.... then a bear under animals... linden bears are listed under animals why are my bears not allowed to be under animals they are ANIMALS to me

there answer to everything is start a jira if u want it changed...soon enough we just will give up and take our money and business elsewhere

really tired of the silliness that they make every merchant go through

• Moderators

Josh Susanto wrote:

I've never had anything flagged for being in "everything else".

If you're not sure what else to do, you can probably at least start the process by relisting the items under that.

Greetings Josh!

The "Everything Else" is a catch-all category full of uncategorized items.

Like a junk drawer in your garage or kitchen that is full of stuff that has been tossed all together into one place.

The reason why none of the products in that category are flagged for being in the wrong category is because it _is_ a junk drawer equivelant of products.

The "Everything Else" category is pretty much what the Marketplace would look like if there were no categories and/or the Product Listing Review Team and other users weren't vigilant in trying to keep the rest of the Marketplace cleaned up and looking nice so that buyers can find stuff.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

• Moderators

Sweet Valentine wrote:

This is to much like rocket science for LL to understandcommon sense isnt in the span of options for them

they delist items for the stupidist reasons

mine is textures under textures category GO FIGURE.... then a bear under animals... linden bears are listed under animals why are my bears not allowed to be under animals they are ANIMALS to me

there answer to everything is start a jira if u want it changed...soon enough we just will give up and take our money and business elsewhere

really tired of the silliness that they make every merchant go through

Greetings Sweet Valentine!

A teddy bear is a toy. It can be placed into the Stuffed Animals sub-category or the Any Occassions sub-category. However, stuffed animals shouldn't be put into the regular Animals category. It is a toy.

The Linden Bears category is there because it was created that way on the old Xstreet SL Marketplace and was imported that way to the new Secod Life Marketplace. 

This doesn't justify putting your listings into a wrong category just because there are issues with the category tree on the Marketplace that need to be corrected.

The textures category has sub-categories.  If your product fits into one of those sub-categories and you place it into the main Textures category then yes, your product listing is in the wrong category and will be unlisted and if not corrected, removed.

Most people ignore the ToS or Listing Guidelines when they are presented at account sign up or store creation, but sellers really should read them before they end up with their content all unlisted.

Ignorance of the rules is no excuse and will still get products unlisted or blocked.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

"Select the most specific category that is appropriate for the item"

"Do not post items in the "Root" categories such as Apparel, Home & Garden, etc. unless you absolutely cannot find an applicable sub-category that applies."

"Listings in the wrong or inappropriate category may be removed to avoid confusion."

It isn't "silliness" to follow the rules and help maintain a clean and clear Marketplace.

If you prefer not to be bothererd with taking the time to ensure that you are placing your product listings into a correct sub-category, you may do as Josh has done and lump them all into the "Everything Else" category where they will not be moved or flagged for category issues.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

Greetings Dakota , 

I have an advertising agency that offers Advertising services in SL and also a Job Agency that  offers its services to both of job owners and job seekers in SL . Could you please tell me where I can create a thread for these types of services in the forums and under which categories since they are not tangible products but they are services and I cannot list them in market place. In the past I used to post that under the category "service"  in the old forums and xstreetsl , but now I cannot find appropriate  category so I wonder where to put my threads for the people to know about my different offers related to these two entities and without violating the forums guidelines or consider that to be brutal advertising or soliciting or such.  Appreciate your help since I had suffered some removals for my posts . Thank you.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

If there was no consequence for improperly listing, a lot more products would just end up 'any old place' and some merchants would even double list into slightly wrong but still likely to hit on search categories.

Pulling them down causes people to not want their stuff pulled down, so they work to find the right place for it - thus requiring less maintenance work on LL's end.

However in the OP's case the item was in a perfectly suitable category and still got delisted, that really isn't helpful.

• Moderators

Anastasia Glenwalker wrote:

Greetings Dakota , 

I have an advertising agency that offers Advertising services in SL and also a Job Agency that  offers its services to both of job owners and job seekers in SL . Could you please tell me where I can create a thread for these types of services in the forums and under which categories since they are not tangible products but they are services and I cannot list them in market place. In the past I used to post that under the category "service"  in the old forums and xstreetsl , but now I cannot find appropriate  category so I wonder where to put my threads for the people to know about my different offers related to these two entities and without violating the forums guidelines oGrr consider that to be brutal advertising or soliciting or such.  Appreciate your help since I had suffered some removals for my posts . Thank you.

Greetings!

There is still the Services category on the Marketplace for listing services.  Please remember that you must charge at least 50% of the service fee when you create the listing.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Absolutely correct .. trains us to be more dilligent ... to what?

Without stating "this is the proper category" all we learn is to fear the delisting, but never learn where it should have been listed properly. It's just the stick part of "carrot and stick". We seriously need the "carrot" part too without making Dakota come in here and personally reply to everyone that posts a "why did my item get delisted" thread.

Delisting is fine as it does serve a (not really necessary but acceptable) purpose. However there also should be a commentary added to the delisting notice that states "... and it should be relisted in ... "

Dakota Linden wrote:

Greetings!

There is still the Services category on the Marketplace for listing services.  Please remember that you must charge at least 50% of the service fee when you create the listing.

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

Dakota,

I read through the guidelines for everything relating to Services and I didn't spot the 50% requirement. Can you be a bit more specific please? I've got a product just released that is a subscription service, but I sell the "Starter Kit" on Marketplace. The price for the Starter Kit covers account setup and integration services I provide, then after the start up period is over, there is an ongoing subscription fee. What I'm selling really is a Service, but it's initially delivered as a Product and with a price that is not a factor of the normal subscription fee. How would I calculate 50%? And 50% of what? (scratching head over that one)

So in order to mitigate the acts of a minority of wrong doers, the overwhelming majority are punished as though they are cheating naughty children.  That's not polite, user-friendly, or service orientated, but rather constitutes treating us all like naughty children who cannot help ourselves from putting our hands in the cookie jar. 

It's also wholly unnecessary. I'm not a cheat and I do not see why I should get a rap across the knuckles because I failed to guess what category someone working for the Lab would have used, when I listed in good faith.  If the categories make any sense to begin with, most people will get most products in them most of the time.   This could be used to make an algorthim that flags repeat offenders and those people could then be asked to explain and warned of penalties.  If they continue then and cannot give a very convincing explanation, then punitive steps could be taken.  There is no need to punish everyone. 

Only and actually punishing deliberate offenders would probably reduce the actual cheats.  At the moment cheats are treated as well as the genuine merchants acting in good faith who make an error, and those acting in good faith who make an error, are treated no better than cheats.  This favours cheats who prosper from their cheating, while not being treated any worse than someone making a genuine error, and it sure as heck does not make those who make every attempt to follow every rule feel good when they are treated no better than a common cheat.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

It's not a case of being "more diligent". The OP listed the items in exactly the right category - Home & Garden > Decor. However, there are two categories that are "exactly the right category". The other is Art » Wall Art and Murals. The OP didn't get it wrong at all and more diligence wouldn't have helped.

That said, I'm not in favour of LL putting items into what they decide are the right categories, because some people would have the tendancy to think that they can list items more or less anywhere and LL will sort it out. What is ABSOLUTELY wrong, imo, is delisting an item without telling the seller where the item actually belongs. If the delister knows that an item is in the wrong place, then s/he knows where it should be, and that little bit of information *should* be passed on to the seller. Not doing it is wrong in every way. It alienates customers, it's very bad customer service, and it's bad for LL because they will lose customers that way. But it's LL after all, and they are known for their huge lack of common sense. They are also known to not care whether or not they alientate customers and lose them in the process.

• Moderators

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Dakota Linden wrote:

Greetings!

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

Dakota,

I read through the guidelines for everything relating to Services and I didn't spot the 50% requirement. Can you be a bit more specific please? I've got a product just released that is a subscription service, but I sell the "Starter Kit" on Marketplace. The price for the Starter Kit covers account setup and integration services I provide, then after the start up period is over, there is an ongoing subscription fee. What I'm selling really is a Service, but it's initially delivered as a Product and with a price that is not a factor of the normal subscription fee. How would I calculate 50%? And 50% of what? (scratching head over that one)

Greetings!

The following information from the Listing Guidelines specifies the 50% fee.

• Non-Item Listings.
    The SL Marketplace is also not to be used for:
    • Advertising events or places,
    • Advertising land sales/rentals except as listed for free in the
    • Dispensing catalogs or information regarding an item without actually delivering that item, or
    • Dispensing catalogs or information regarding a service without actually charging at least 50% of the value of that service."

If your service charges a recurring billing fee each month, then your Starter Pack should be set to the price of the 1st months service.

Regards,

Dakota Linden
--
Linden Lab

Dakota Linden wrote:

If your service charges a recurring billing fee each month, then your Starter Pack should be set to the price of the 1st months service.

Regards,

Dakota Linden

--

Linden Lab

The Starter Pack includes the Kiosk which is required to access the admin side of the website (the first time) and to make payments for monthly subscriptions (as well as a couple other functions). So it's not strictly service nor strictly product .. it's a mix of both.

Should I state that the price is a combination of the Kiosk price plus the first 3 month's subscription?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.