What looks hot on a guy? (advice needed)

Davier Faith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to get a wardrobe of hot looks, so girls will enjoy looking at my avatar. I know someone will say that hot is subjective, and that's fine. Anything at this point will help--I have zero fashion sense, and certainly no idea what looks hot on a guy--that goes for hair, shoes, clothes, etc. I wouldn't even know where to begin shopping.

Thanks!

I found this a little weird, but hey you're not the only one having this problem.

I would suggest you going onto the marketplace, around apparal and then the category 'Outfits'. You can find complete sets of outfits there. I would suggest getting a scruffy skin, with something wintery. Now summer is coming you might want to go for a blouse with nice jeans and some 'converse'-type shoes.

Afraid i cannot link some examples because of the policy!

Goodluck anyways from a fellow gent.

Although that's a nicely made avie, I'm not sure that it wouldn't appeal more to other men and not to women - if you get my meaning.... A poncho and pink-framed sunglasses?? Nope. Don't find that attractive at all.

Which goes to prove that if the idea is to appeal to gals, there's no one catch-all look.

Are we allowed to suggest shops? If so, I have an idea for what I think is nicely made stuff which is neither too avant-garde, metrosexual or macho leather dom-biker-goth-guy or whatever. Actually, I have a couple of ideas. Having said that....not sure whether you mean girls or women. I think tastes vary immensely according to age.

Go rugged, think marlborro man.  get an AO that stands up straight and proud, and most importantly one that allows you to stand still in one spot.  I hate talking to people when their avy is constantly moving, looking around, stroking their hair and scrathcing their butts.

Like you said, taste differs, but when you break it down to brass tacks, it is genetics that attracts females to males. Get an Avy that oozes testosterone, being careful though, you dont want to end up looking arrogant and cocky, you want to look rough and manly.

Anyway, thats my opinion, personally I'm not into men, but I still respect a real MAN as opposed to a fashion boy

Davier Faith wrote:

Well my budget is up and down, I work for my linden in world. But I'm willing to save up for the right stuff.

Might be a honorable idea but... really, do yourself a favor and buy some Lindens and equip the Avi fully.

For the Equivalent of say 10-15 Dollar you get enough Lindens for a good Skin, AO, hair and some clothes. (On clothes i recommend sf-design, they have some nice not-so-pricy menswear).

A good shape.

Seriously.

90% of SL males are grossly out of proportion. Look at the Vanity thread in Avatars and notice which males get cheers - they have decent proportions. NO idea how short or tall they are from the screenshots, but they've got proper anatomical proportions.

Much more important than the fashions chosen. You want likely a Bishounen shape.

All righty, some of you are missing the point. I'm not looking for a catch-all, or magic look that will attract all women. There have to be some fashion dos and don'ts when it comes to what girls/women will like, or won't like. That's all I'm looking for. I had three girls approve my skin, and my shape. What I'm looking at now are clothes and hair.

Davier Faith wrote:

All righty, some of you are missing the point. I'm not looking for a catch-all, or magic look that will attract all women. There have to be some fashion dos and don'ts when it comes to what girls/women will like, or won't like. That's all I'm looking for. I had three girls approve my skin, and my shape. What I'm looking at now are clothes and hair.

If your having problems I think I've just found your problem, and its got nothing to do with your looks. ;)

I'm out.

The main thing that makes anyone "hot" in my view is realism.

That doesn't mean you have to look unshaven and like you haven't had enough sleep but please don't make your avatar look like handsome model ken doll #13821738901643645.

People in SL are TOO good looking, it is boring.

So get yourself a good realistic properly scaled body (everyone is tooooo tall), get a realistic normal skin, look for some kind of imperfection to make it look better and finally put on a 3 piece suit and a hat.

Gentlemen don't go outside without a hat on.

Oh and make sure you smoke, real men smoke!

Don'ts
1. Blingers!
2. Tattoo as your 'clothes'. Don't overdo it.
3. Going anywhere half naked - I don't care if you have nice avatar chest
4. Long hairs - makes me want to run home and take my brush and plait your hair
5. Good Attires but with the wrong AOs - I can't stand prancing AOs either, some of them look as if they had a full bladder.

Dos.
1. Layers are your friend. The reason why I gave you the link to that guy is not to copy everything he wore. He looks really good for the younger and more metrosexual generation. What I'm trying to show that he knows how to mix and match according to colours, style and occasion.
2. Don't always wear the same style. Be a rugged country guy for a minute and a dashing city guy the next... or be the guy next door with your simple t and jeans but with good shading and quality.
3. Colours - Personally I prefer one toned colours.
4. Sometimes, I do measure someone's style with the type of shoes he wore. If you wear everything with the same shoes then you are not 'there' yet.
5. Wear Socks! Especially if your pants are not sculpted.

I find that what looks really hot on a guy is me... lol.

Seriously, just wear what you like... be yourself. I know that's not a lot of help, but really only you know what will suit your character.

Here's some links to menswear blogs that can give you a good idea on what's available:

(ir)regular guy

Fade to Grey

Stylish Man

Men's Second Style

I know some guys that will look at the blogs, find an outfit they like and go buy the whole thing just as it is. That might be a good way to get you started... then once you have a few outfits under your belt and in your inventory you can start mixing elements and creating your own. Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously... it'll be your personality that's the real selling point anyway.

Hope this helps... Dres

ETA: the last paragraph.

I will agree with most here. Shape, skin and AO are the first things is good to look for, maybe hair also. Don't buy clothes especially when they have attachments if you haven't for your shape. I changed my shape after 7 months in SL when i realized that i was a giant and after it was a pain to fit my outfits one by one from the beginning. Clothes and shoes is easy to find.

Get some well made clothes. Pants should have prim lower legs. System pants never look good at the ankle. No weird patterns on your pants or jeans. Shoes should look like shoes. Sculpted or regular prim shoes with lots of detail and by detail I don't mean a whole bunch of straps and chains on it. No boots unless you're wearing a costume. No costumes unless you just came from a place where it's needed. Wear a shirt. A good shirt. A tshirt is fine as long as it's textured well. Things like creases, folds, body shading and a hint of cloth texture. A collared shirt works if the prim collar is sized and positioned correctly. Any prims you wear should be sized and positioned correctly. Hats? No. Hair length is according to your preference but make sure it's sized right. As far as shape goes, the male avatar just does not look good with the torso muscles set too high. Pay attention to your arm length. The wrist should be level with the bottom of your crotch. And make your hands bigger. Accessories? Should you even wear any? Maybe add one or two to differentiate yourself or as a conversation starter but don't go running around with a a teacup and a powerdrill hanging on your belt. Get a good AO too. As mentioned above you should avoid the one that makes you pace around and stretch every five seconds. Also, don't buy any dances from the womens section.

You want to look UNIQUE. Mix and match and even having some female avatars works as well. trust me I know where of I speak :-). I regularly have people say I am mesmerizing etc. from both sexes. Keep em guessing is the way to go and look unsual. Anyone can buy clothes off the rack and look like everyone else.

Ormand Lionheart 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4481 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.