Beyond the Selfie: The Art of Photography!

So, it has been suggested that maybe we need a thread here for the posting of pics that don't neatly fit into the My Avatar picture threads, or some of the other categories here.

Such pics might be more "figurative," abstract, surreal, or experimental. Or they might just be focused more upon composition, colour, or lighting than other representational aspects -- I don't think we need or want a tight definition of the things that might fit here. Rather, you decide if this thread is a good home for your picture!

I'll start.

Out-of-Frame-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.6e90496c42f8b28b872dd3354c1250dd.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, it has been suggested that maybe we need a thread here for the posting of pics that don't neatly fit into the My Avatar picture threads, or some of the other categories here.

Such pics might be more "figurative," abstract, surreal, or experimental. Or they might just be focused more upon composition, colour, or lighting than other representational aspects -- I don't think we need or want a tight definition of the things that might fit here. Rather, you decide if this thread is a good home for your picture!

I'll start.

Out-of-Frame-(SM)-Blank.thumb.png.6e90496c42f8b28b872dd3354c1250dd.png

Thank you so much for starting this! I've been desperately wanting somewhere to post my more experimental photos but wasn't sure if it's been done (and failed) before or nah. ❤️And I agree - I feel like all art should be welcome here - whether avatar-focused or landscapes or what - just go nuts!

Your photo is lovely by the way!

I'll dig through my archives and post something here in a bit.

• Like 5

The more I look through my older photos, the more I realize this type of thread is going to reveal a whoooole lot about how my brain works. 😂 Welp, I asked for it, so onward!

This shot came about by randomly asking myself one afternoon how possible it'd be to create a "failed séance" scene (as one does) from scratch using bits and pieces from within the inner depths of my furniture/décor and props inventory. I cheated a bit - had to do a teensy bit of shopping to complete it (needed the table!).

image.thumb.png.df40c1b0f18c61f83cd665a8fcd72c1b.png

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The more I look through my older photos, the more I realize this type of thread is going to reveal a whoooole lot about how my brain works. 😂 Welp, I asked for it, so onward!

This shot came about by randomly asking myself one afternoon how possible it'd be to create a "failed séance" scene (as one does) from scratch using bits and pieces from within the inner depths of my furniture/décor and props inventory. I cheated a bit - had to do a teensy bit of shopping to complete it (needed the table!).

image.thumb.png.df40c1b0f18c61f83cd665a8fcd72c1b.png

Awesome. And hardly creepy at all.

I'm looking forward to my nightmares tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Awesome. And hardly creepy at all.

I'm looking forward to my nightmares tonight.

Yeahhhhhh...about that. 😂

Rest assured - I can't tolerate horror movies/games or anything gruesome, so there won't be anything THAT terrifying. Just...ya know...maybe mildly...strange... I do read horror books, though... hmmm... *saves her Burroughs/Cronenberg-inspired scenes for later...*

• Like 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeahhhhhh...about that. 😂

Rest assured - I can't tolerate horror movies/games or anything gruesome, so there won't be anything THAT terrifying. Just...ya know...maybe mildly...strange... I do read horror books, though... hmmm... *saves her Burroughs/Cronenberg-inspired scenes for later...*

I like ghost stories. Do ghost stories!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I like ghost stories. Do ghost stories!

That's the one thing I CAN'T read!!! I believe way too hard! Ghost stories creep me out more than most things. But lemme see...I may already have some lighter stuff like that on Flickr. OH wait I do!

Edit: Heeeey waymint! That séance photo WAS sort of a ghost story, hmpf!

Bluecid

And I could only have you in my dreams

Possession - Daymare

Possession - Nightmare

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That's the one thing I CAN'T read!!! I believe way too hard! Ghost stories creep me out more than most things. But lemme see...I may already have some lighter stuff like that on Flickr. OH wait I do!

Edit: Heeeey waymint! That séance photo WAS sort of a ghost story, hmpf!

Bluecid

And I could only have you in my dreams

Possession - Daymare

Possession - Nightmare

These totally work!

And really are exactly the kind of thing that should be appearing in this thread!

(Even if it ends up just being the two of us here . . .)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

These totally work!

And really are exactly the kind of thing that should be appearing in this thread!

(Even if it ends up just being the two of us here . . .)

Thank you! This is the bulk of what I do when left to my own devices, but I always find myself switching back to fashion photography because I tell myself "who wants to see a bunch of 'what the hell?'" experimental photography on Flickr. I mean, looking at my Flickr feed/dashboard, it's mostly people posting looks of the day and not-so-subtle adult content. 😂

Surely we aren't the only two who like to experiment with SL photography beyond fashion, selfies, and basic landscapes, though! 

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
I can type!
  • Like 2

It seems people like ghostly stories, a couple here that show my creepier side

The first was at a Halloween build at Elysion, my sort of take on the Exorcist

Red Wedding

and the second more tasteful is at one of Serene Footmans sims, not there any more sadly, Black Bayou

Voodoo

oh! and if anyone wants to see my take on Psycho, please ask. Norma Bates anyone?

Edited by Joaannna
  • Like 16

You guyyyys, your photos are so good! ❤️

So, I randomly remembered Scylla mentioning B&W photography in the other thread and it reminded me of this shoot I did and never posted anywhere. It was mostly a test shoot anyway - I had just started using particles as props, so I wanted to do some test runs (do not recommend unless you have a TON of patience because there WILL be shenanigans - the number of times I smoked my whole platform out tinkering with those scripts omg 😂).

Anyhoo, as for the subject matter, the shot is directly inspired by Anna von Hausswolff's song/video "The Mysterious Disappearance of Electra." It's also what gave me the idea to crash my whole si...I mean start working with particles more seriously. I'd done it before with bigger swirls and confetti-like effects, but it's a whole project to wrangle some fog and get it to behave long enough to take the dang shot!

Btw, if you don't know the song/music video, you should look it up, cuz it's good!

image.thumb.png.031026687ffefd255c562548a409a62d.png

• Like 19

I went to install Photoshop Elements and ended up finding I already had it installed, That's how long it's been since I used it..hehehehe

This was more just warm up, feeling my way around it again, plus trying to get used to Black Dragon.

This is the edited version.

No Show edit

The original.

No Show

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I went to install Photoshop Elements and ended up finding I already had it installed, That's how long it's been since I used it..hehehehe

This was more just warm up, feeling my way around it again, plus trying to get used to Black Dragon.

This is the edited version.

No Show edit

The original.

No Show

Ooh those tears are powerful!

• Like 3

I edit in Gimp, and sometimes in Krita. I don't always have a PC handy so I'll transfer a few PNGs and JPGs onto my phone. This is the result of a few quick edits on my Android phone, using two editing apps. Not the best IMO but fun to mess with.

Polish_20220729_113309862-01.jpeg

• Like 11