The Trending SL Fashion Thread!

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For those who don't know, there is a popular long-running topic in the Land > Linden Homes forum that highlights Home Decor, with emphasis on events, weekend sales, new releases, and mainstore sales.  I have long wanted to start something like that for fashion.  I don't want it to be a thread where creators advertise new releases. Instead, SL customers, please post pictures of your new purchases, or new-release items at events or main stores, and let us know what in your opinion makes this a quality outfit or piece of clothing. Please rate items on the following:

• Rigging (how the item fits and moves with your avi, did you need to use alpha with your mesh body?)
  • Texture (detail, use of materials, etc.)
  • Mesh detail (were belts, buttons, zippers, seams designed into the mesh? How realistic are wrinkles and other fabric elements?)
  • Style (what kind of style? Would this outfit be considered in-fashion or fashion-forward? Would you wear this personally in real life?)
  • And anything else that you think releases to the quality of the outfit or item.

There are bound to be differences of opinion. Please keep the critiques constructive and focused on the outfit or item, and possible ways to improve future garments, vs. personal comments about the creator(s). 

I'll post an example below....

• Like 4

image.png.988468a7399112f831c8042b4648da05.png

Brand: Asteroidbox

Top: Juley Shirt, available at current round of Equal 10Pants: Aural Pants, available at current round of Midnight Order

Report Card:

• Rigging: B. Pants needed Alpha masking in pelvis and upper legs; Top needed masking in middle arms and chest. Outfit looks realistic as avi moves and changes position.
  • Mesh Detail: A.  Lots of wonderful detail in the mesh - from the garters and belt on the pants, to the front and back zippers on the top.
  • Texture: A+. Top has detailed seaming, trim and rib knit texture, realistic pleats/wrinkles. Pants texture combines wrinkles, fading, and sheen from using materials. Pants and garter/belt textures are clearly differentiated.
  • Style: A. Semi street-tough goth girl, but not over-doing it! Vintage vibes with the sweetheart neckline on the top.
  • Final Verdict: A/A- All in all, a very realistic looking outfit and lots of fun to wear!

• Like 6

Just so you know, I tried this a year or so ago and the thread was closed (possibly deleted not sure) and I got a warning. Since then I have stopped showing fashion here and only put in screen clips on the furniture blog.   I of course thought it was a good idea but apparently the PTB did not.   

PS.  It was not that I was putting in photos of brands I blog for. Actually I do very little fashion these days except for things on sale and gifts :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 3

Well, we'll see what happens...we've had such a success with the Home Furnishings thread that I hope we can get a similar topic running for fashion.

Hopefully, if people focus on what they consider high quality,  and we are alert to folks crossing the line regarding constructive critiques vs. personal attacks, the drama can be avoided.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just so you know, I tried this a year or so ago and the thread was closed (possibly deleted not sure) and I got a warning.

I recall this thread and it's disappearance.  I suspect the reason was that it was a potential for some, to use it as an advertising forum which of course is not allowed here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the Web Dew Beatrice Corset Top also available at Midnight Order

image.png.8b418db7ba412b6abb66598b87ebb03c.png

It is NOT inexpensive. There is a matching pair of pants at the event but I didn't feel like dumping an additional chunk of Lindens  on them. The top comes in 4 packs of related colors (this is from the Neutrals Pack).

Brand: Web Dew (new to me)

Report Card:

• Rigging: A. I only needed to hide my elbows..
  • Mesh Detail: A.  Detail in the mesh is impressive,  from the raised boning to the gathers and the lace trim. See my comment in the Texture section about my one issue - I think the texturing contributed to it more, but some of it may be due to the mesh design.
  • Texture: A- Lots of nice detail here. The top has adjustable material shine (not the corset) in a HUD. While there are several hair designers that provide this feature, this is the first time I have seen that in a garment.  My one issue is the gathers and highlights over the chest area - I don't think it quite looks realistic. It should fall straighter, I think. I appreciate that with all the different avi figures in SL, it might be difficult to take one ruffle that falls realistically on all avis.
  • Style: A. Could be used as part of a contemporary Boho outfit or for a fantasy or period piece.
  • Final Verdict: A This piece was a nice surprise! I did try on a demo before I plunked down all those Lindens.

PS -  those of you looking for bargain buys, while I can't give an unqualified recommendation for the skirt (and am not considering it part of this review), it is worth noting that it is only $L15 at Pixel Box as part of Fab Free at Fifteen.

• Like 4

The sale in Cold Ash (End Date: July 25, 2022) is worth visiting if you want classy mens wear. No streetwear, punk or sagging sweatpants.

It is great quality. All I went through could be mixed with other items in the store. Buy a t-shirt from one wall and pair it with pants from the other side of the store. It gave me no trouble at all with pants clipping through a shirt or jacket in the back. Some pants has two cuff heights for easier fit with shoes, and some shirts and sweaters have a wider waist so it may fit with pants from other stores.

But always demo.

This store has also some Slink male sizes, standard sizes, fitmesh and TMP sizes in their older packs. These are located deep in the store. The newer clothes have only Jake, Gianni and Legacy.

The sale prices is a bit under, a bit over 200 L for single colors.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cold Ash/172/196/35/

The hair is on sale for 60 L at Wings, https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/The Sign/187/126/21

and the sunglasses is a free group gift at Bondi. It is also a L'Homme gift and a Seraphimsl.com gift.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Daydreaming/19/66/22

ga_003.jpg

ga_004.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 6

From the weekend sales...

Rowne participates just about every weekend. One nice thing about Rowne's clothing is that the color is typically very consistent and the pieces mostly work together, to the point that I have a folder in my clothing inventory called "Rowne Coordinates" whereas everything else is placed either under the clothing piece type or under "sets"

slpix_004_309.thumb.png.660d5421b0ec4e5b3f3fdbf9acff3af0.png

Here we have the Liya Sleeveless Top and the Boehr Crepe Trousers, both in Pearl.

Report Card:

• Rigging/Mesh Shape: B+. It's not unusual for me to have to hide my avi's thighs and pelvis, but the area around the feet could have been handled better..
  • Mesh Detail: Top: A-, Pants: B.  If I was buying a piece of fashion-forward or designer clothing in real life, I'd be looking for the unique details such as the shoulder treatment here, where the back piece of the top comes over the shoulder and is overlapped by the front of the top. The top is quite detailed, with the shoulder treatment, drawstring, and front placket. The pants are pretty plain, though.
  • Texture: B The fabric here is supposed to be crepe. While that tends to be somewhat flat as far as luster or sheen, in real life crepe has a distinct pebbly texture. I don't thin that has been well executed in this fabric texture. The details on the top look pretty good, though.
  • Style: A-. Sophisticated and a bit fashion-forward.
  • Final Verdict: Top: A-, Pants B It's a keeper...and I even considered buying another color of the top while they are on sale.
  • Like 4

This cute little top by Salt & Pepper is at the current round of Cosmopolitan Uber, which just started today.

apple_fall_top.thumb.png.0fc3a878807be53eb9cd4f87f23cfa84.png

Report Card:

• Rigging/Mesh Shape: A-. When semi-sheer textures are involved, it's super important to fit mesh so that alphas are not needed. A bit of the jeans poke through when my avatar bends into different poses, but when the avi is standing straight or walking, it's fine! I likely have another pair of jeans in the inventory that would cause less issues.
  • Mesh Detail: A-. There's not a lot to this top, but it's realistic.
  • Texture: A Nice job! I love that the designer has included two transparency levels AND has designed the top so there is just enough coverage in the more sheer version to keep the girls a bit camouflaged (and maybe this is just because I picked the Mauve color?).I think the fabric detail is pretty awesome here. The weave/net is a bit oversized in scale, but it might have been difficult to shrink it more and retain detail. Nice subtle use of materials as well. You really get a sense of the texture in 3D.
  • Style: A If you want to be a bit daring - but not all "out there," try the more sheer version. The opaque version gives an option with added modesty. 
  • Final Verdict: A 

The jeans are by Thalia Heckroth and were a vendor re-send for an update.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still see this thread as just another way to sneak in some advertising, maybe not for the person posting but certainly for the creator of the outfits featured here.  The posts are reading more like blog entries than what I would expect appropriate for a forum like this.  

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

I still see this thread as just another way to sneak in some advertising, maybe not for the person posting but certainly for the creator of the outfits featured here.  The posts are reading more like blog entries than what I would expect appropriate for a forum like this.  

Tazzie, have you seen the Home Furnishing thread over in the Linden Homes section? It's very similar to what we are doing here. Personally, I think it's as appropriate to discuss notable fashion releases as it is notable home furnishing releases. But that's just my opinion.

BTW, personally, I receive NO compensation or other kind of special consideration from any designer in SL. I wouldn't want to.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:30 AM, Tazzie Tuque said:

I still see this thread as just another way to sneak in some advertising, maybe not for the person posting but certainly for the creator of the outfits featured here. 

That happens in the Fashion and Wanted sections anyway, when people post a "where can I find", and someone replies with a link to their own store, usually with completely irrelevant items. Sneaky people are going to be sneaky.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, Trinity1776 said:

image.png.988468a7399112f831c8042b4648da05.png

Brand: Asteroidbox

Top: Juley Shirt, available at current round of Equal 10Pants: Aural Pants, available at current round of Midnight Order

Report Card:

• Rigging: B. Pants needed Alpha masking in pelvis and upper legs; Top needed masking in middle arms and chest. Outfit looks realistic as avi moves and changes position.
  • Mesh Detail: A.  Lots of wonderful detail in the mesh - from the garters and belt on the pants, to the front and back zippers on the top.
  • Texture: A+. Top has detailed seaming, trim and rib knit texture, realistic pleats/wrinkles. Pants texture combines wrinkles, fading, and sheen from using materials. Pants and garter/belt textures are clearly differentiated.
  • Style: A. Semi street-tough goth girl, but not over-doing it! Vintage vibes with the sweetheart neckline on the top.
  • Final Verdict: A/A- All in all, a very realistic looking outfit and lots of fun to wear!

The texture is amazing! You know it's good when you can tell from pics.  When I joined SL back in 2014 or 2015 the person who introduced me to SL always stressed texture and fit when it came to clothes and texture with other things like furniture, etc.  Since coming back to SL a couple of yrs ago I feel like some of the attention to detail isn't important to some creators or they may be new to creating things within SL.  I changed my avi body from Maitreya to Reborn so I'm having to find all new stores and creators. 

On 7/26/2022 at 9:31 AM, Trinity1776 said:

Tazzie, have you seen the Home Furnishing thread over in the Linden Homes section? It's very similar to what we are doing here. Personally, I think it's as appropriate to discuss notable fashion releases as it is notable home furnishing releases. But that's just my opinion.

BTW, personally, I receive NO compensation or other kind of special consideration from any designer in SL. I wouldn't want to.

I have to agree. I love the Furnishing thread!  I check it daily sometimes a few times a day depending on how many posts are made in a day.  I get emails every time someone posts and I love it! 

• Like 1

nn        mnnnn

2 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

If people want to share their fashion finds from sales etc, I don't mind at all. I don't see it as sneaking. Is it against the rules of the SL forums ? Besides they may find a great item we are unaware of.

Thanks, Colleen. That's how the Home Furnishings thread has been for a lot of us. It's difficult to keep track of so many sales and events, and I love personally hearing about the folks who are doing really great quality work in SL.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

nn        mnnnn

Thanks, Colleen. That's how the Home Furnishings thread has been for a lot of us. It's difficult to keep track of so many sales and events, and I love personally hearing about the folks who are doing really great quality work in SL.

I agree as well. I'm finding it difficult when it comes to clothes that are not only well made for the Reborn body but aren't overly sexy. So I hope this thread becomes popular like the Furnishing thread. 

• Like 2

So, here's some of my weekend sale hauls, for you bargain hunters.

dh.png.77ad145aa93cd289975e59595829ec9d.png 

Matching top and pants from David Heather. Nice texture and good mesh detail. I also really like the choice of colors...this one's Orchid. You will note that I am wearing a BOM camisole underneath (part of a multi-pack from Izzies and I highly recommend it) , which I often do for modesty. This top certainly needs it as...everything...would be exposed on a side view .otherwise. Sizes for Erika, Kupra, Legacy and Lara are included.

b-b.thumb.png.fce8ff284dcaccacc2df90a1328c8fec.png

Cute top and shorts from Baiastice, available in many colors. The top is "Almond" and the shorts are "Bittersweet." Sized for Alice, Freya, Hourglass, Legacy and Lara. The floral sandals are from Pure Poison, also on sale this weekend, sized for Belezia, Ebody, Kupra, Legacy, Lara and Slink.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.