How to buy 1024m with premium account

rOrii Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you would rather have a 1024 sqm plot on mainland, rather than have one of the Linden Homes, you can look for and purchase a 1024 sqm parcel on mainland, and after the initial land purchase price, there would not be a maintenance/monthly tier fee (as long as you don't exceed owning more land than 1024 sqm and as long as you do not also own a Linden home).

You can look in the Parcels for Sale: Mainland - Second Life Community topic here in the land forum, to see information/link to some of the mainland parcels that are for sale.  

Another way to find parcels for sale is by using the map - check the box for showing parcels for sale, and they will show up on the map as yellow parcels.  If you're not sure how to find one of the mainland continents on the map, you can always TP to one of the parcels for sale form the "Parcels for Sale: Mainland" thread, and then your map will be positioned over part of one of the mainland continents and you can move it around looking for parcels marked as being for sale. 

Be sure to look at a number of parcels and compare location, terrain, and price.  There can be a lot of variety in parcel prices, even for the same size parcel, because of its location (along a roadway or waterway) or just because of what the resident owning it decides to charge.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rOrii Wylder said:

If I buy the parcel how much is the maintenance fee?

As long as your Mainland holdings total 1024 m² or less, there's no additional fee but you do need to retain the Premium account.

In fact, you can go up to 1120 m² by owning the land as a group, taking advantage of the 10% group tier bonus. It's not difficult, just an extra step to investigate if the opportunity arises.

[Added for completeness: It's also possible to buy land at auction directly from the Lab. This is trickier than it looks because some buyers try to be clever by only bidding at the very end of the auction interval, so it takes patience and tolerance of uncertainty—not sure I'd recommend it for a first-time buyer—but sometimes you can land a real bargain.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 4

If you choose to get a Linden Home, you do not have to pay for your parcel, but you won't be able to terraform your land, any skybox has to be at 2000 m or higher, a security orb would have to allow at least 15 seconds to let folks get off your parcel, and the exterior of your house and land has to be in theme with the rest of the neighborhood. You would also have 351 Land Impact of prims to use for decorating, not including the house, but you'd be limited to the house styles available for each themed neighborhood.

If you choose to use your 1024 m to get a mainland parcel, you would pay for that parcel and not have any other recurring fees for it except continuing to pay for your Premium membership. You could buy up to 1120 m of land if you create a group and buy your land for your group rather than as an individual. You would need to buy a house or skybox *, furniture, landscaping or whatever you want for decorating, you can terraform the land and have more control over it, though you'd still need to follow the TOS rules. 

The neighborhoods for Bellisseria Linden Homes tend to be very nice, but also pretty uniform. Mainland neighborhoods tend to be very non-conforming and sometimes a bit weird. Bellisseria has plenty of drivable roads and sailable waterways, rez zones, and some community areas. Mainland has some public roads, waterways, and rez zones, but you have to look for them.

* Actually you can find free and cheap skyboxes, houses, furniture, landscaping and more if you know where to look inworld and on Marketplace.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

Mainland gives you a lot more freedom to do what you want, but it comes at increased risk. The increased risk comes because your neighbors can also do whatever they want.

I had a nice parcel for a few years, which was surrounded mostly by abandoned land. Then the land got broken into parcels and put up for auction. Suddenly I had one neighbor who put an unsightly eyesore on the ground next to mine... I figured "no problem, I will just move my lovely home up to the sky... only to discover that a different neighbor had rather ugly skyboxes stacked on top of each other every 40 meters... I guess they went into business renting skyboxes... they were nice on the inside but not a nice view from the outside.

There was no where that I could put my house without an unsightly view around it unless I put it inside a box to protect my own view, and the type of home I had did not lend itself well to that. So I ended up selling that parcel and went to look for another.

It actually took me a while to find an affordable parcel that did not have similar issues as the one I left.

On the other hand, I have seen some lovely areas in mainland that were not loaded with eyesores and looked very pleasant. There are nice mainland spots out there.. some very nice ones.

But the only problem with mainland is that there is no covenant controlling what your neighbors can do, and therefore no guarantee that you will not suddenly end up living next to things you dont like.

• Like 4

You can use the map to explore various 1024 parcels for sale, click on the price tab icon and view the asking price, then TP to that location to look around. Always look around and take your time buying. Much of the mainland can be a bit of an empty wasteland, and small nice parcels with things like water or road access can get expensive, just letting you know. You can get 1024 parcels for 1,000L, or spend up to almost anything for certain parcels in special locations.

If you buy your own little parcel, then there are dozens of amazing home sellers, landscape stores, and furniture places to then shop to decorate however you like. And art galleries. We all have our favourites for those. have fun, be patient, and enjoy the hunt.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 2:55 AM, Qie Niangao said:

[Added for completeness: It's also possible to buy land at auction directly from the Lab. This is trickier than it looks because some buyers try to be clever by only bidding at the very end of the auction interval, so it takes patience and tolerance of uncertainty—not sure I'd recommend it for a first-time buyer—but sometimes you can land a real bargain.]

Has happened to me on the last 3 auctions I bid on, then the winners promptly put it for sale 1000L over the actual won price.   But most of the auctioned land is poo.

5 hours ago, LittleSparrow Skydancer said:

Has happened to me on the last 3 auctions I bid on, then the winners promptly put it for sale 1000L over the actual won price.   But most of the auctioned land is poo.

Perhaps "poo" but it's the pick of the poo: it only goes to auction if it's abandoned (probably poo) and somebody has reason to think it will get bids (not the worst). So sometimes there's something worth a bid. But if you've lost the last 3 auctions… probably you understand this but: trying to outbid the competition while the auction is underway is not how these work; they're just a different kind of auction where it's really necessary to bid all you want to pay right up front, knowing that there's a real chance you'll end up winning and having to pay nearly that much.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Perhaps "poo" but it's the pick of the poo: it only goes to auction if it's abandoned (probably poo) and somebody has reason to think it will get bids (not the worst). So sometimes there's something worth a bid. But if you've lost the last 3 auctions… probably you understand this but: trying to outbid the competition while the auction is underway is not how these work; they're just a different kind of auction where it's really necessary to bid all you want to pay right up front, knowing that there's a real chance you'll end up winning and having to pay nearly that much.

Oh yes, I do put up the most I wish to bid., I only look at LL auctions. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.