I sure would like to know about Linden Homes!

skepwith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really would like to know more about Linden Homes after reading about some of the cool options that I never heard about until I became one of the 0.1% of SL users who've looked at the forums. So, let's log in to the SL website and look under... uh... land? Homes are on land, right?

image.png.dc71ba388d9c5c18bf387ed44caf89c6.png

Ok sure, About Land!

image.png.72044e9acb275ef0ab07ca38e18da901.png

Hmm well private islands sound awfully fancy, I guess I want mainland? I just want a house. I guess I have a shopping cart here because I can just buy it right out of a house store or something. Uh, Mainland, Learn More >

image.png.164231d51c29f017024140d4119a7829.png

Wait, whaaaat? Land auction? That sounds stressful. What happened to my shopping cart? No, this can't be right, these are all random patches of abandoned land, I want a Linden home. Oh wait, it's for Premium members, maybe I need to smash that big orange upgrade button I saw on the first page! (back, back, back)

image.png.adbe13136b0a386022b1f18871c0b817.png

Yaaaay! Here we go! Oh yes, I would love to have More information on Linden Homes >>

image.png.fbc7936852dc3dd6cfdb9b4a4b62c910.png

sigh

So, seriously, how can I find out more about Linden Homes? I know the basic deal, a Premium account gets you a 1024 in some community somewhere if you want it.

Edited by skepwith
formatting
  • Like 3

One nice to have thing, would be TP links to the various different house design areas, so we could go and look at them, in theme, in world. At first, I did not consider the log homes as a possibility, but then, when I went to look at a log home area, I was amazed by the beauty of the theme.

It is just guess work to find the themes on the in world map and is about wildly clicking what looks like different themes.

Edited by Anthony McGregor
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Anthony McGregor said:

One nice to have thing, would be TP links to the various different house design areas, so we could go and look at them, in theme, in world. At first, I did not consider the log homes as a possibility, but then, when I went to look at a log home area, I was amazed by the beauty of the theme.

It is just guess work to find the themes on the in world map and is about wildly clicking what looks like different themes.

I agree. I'd love to have a demo house area, even a quarter region for each theme would help. Otherwise I have to go peeping into other people's houses. lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Anthony McGregor said:

One nice to have thing, would be TP links to the various different house design areas,

Fellow residents have taken care of that for us!  Our own @PrudenceAnton created the Parade of Homes blog, with listings by theme of homes that are open to visit.   @Teresa Firelight, who is also active in these forums, does a lot of photography for the blog, and writes some informative articles too (go to the blog's home page to see the postings).

I, too, was reluctantly won over by the magic of LogLand's forests. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Go to Account -> Premium Membership -> Explore Your Linden Home . If you don't yet have a Linden Home, that page will show you options for one.  If you have one, it will link to your SLURL for it. 

You can learn more on YouTube than on the SL website though. Second Life Linden Homes 2022

That might work if I already had a Premium membership. But the reason I'd get the Premium membership is to get the home, which I haven't decided I want, and since I don't have a Premium membership, I do not have the Explore link. If I click the one you put above, I get a sign up page for Premium.

• Sad 1

By the way, thank you so much everyone who responded with more information. Though I am maybe poking fun at LL's site a little bit, I am genuinely interested in knowing more so these resources are very helpful to me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I'd love to have a demo house area, even a quarter region for each theme would help. Otherwise I have to go peeping into other people's houses. lol

Done! ha ha  It's called the The Bellisseria Parade of Homes Listing

Here are 4 Open Homes I can personally vouch for

Traditional http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Beckridge/198/136/25

Houseboat http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kiva/123/94/22

Stilt on Pier http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Memison/196/72/23

Sakura 512 http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Airashii Mogura/158/16/33

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 7/15/2022 at 12:02 AM, diamond Marchant said:

Done! ha ha  It's called the The Bellisseria Parade of Homes Listing

Thank you for this. It was really useful!

What's with the huge scale these things are built on? I know most people are tall in SL but yikes, I feel like the Incredible Shrinking Woman standing at these doors. The campers in particular are just nuts. Non-Linden houses don't seem to be on such a large scale, if I go look at the demos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skepwith said:

Thank you for this. It was really useful!

What's with the huge scale these things are built on? I know most people are tall in SL but yikes, I feel like the Incredible Shrinking Woman standing at these doors. The campers in particular are just nuts. Non-Linden houses don't seem to be on such a large scale, if I go look at the demos.

With non-Linden houses it depends on the creator what scale they use. I think before mesh, houses were usually bigger, but mesh has made it more economical to go smaller and thus get more stuff in your parcel or home. (I think textures look better at a smaller scale too.) Some people say the Linden Homes are too small and need higher ceilings. To me they're just right. I think LL has gone with what seems to be the most common size for avatars and houses now. Having them be too small would be really bad, but if they're a little too big for some people, that's less of a problem. I've seen some homes in Fantasia have Tiny inhabitants, so if they can manage with a bigger house, I think the rest of us can too.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think LL has gone with what seems to be the most common size for avatars and houses now. Having them be too small would be really bad, but if they're a little too big for some people, that's less of a problem. I've seen some homes in Fantasia have tiny inhabitants, so if they can manage with a bigger house, I think the rest of us can too.

I'm sure that's true but it's very jarring with the campers/trailers, and a big turn-off for me since I can't resize them. These were the homes I was most interested in, so it's quite a disappointment. I really like the whole idea of Bellisseria otherwise and I do think the homes are very nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Having them be too small would be really bad, but if they're a little too big for some people, that's less of a problem. I've seen some homes in Fantasia have Tiny inhabitants, so if they can manage with a bigger house, I think the rest of us can too.

I'm barely taller than the height of the door handles. I just lock all the doors open and don't worry about them (size regardless, I find opening/closing doors annoying).

There are disadvantages for designing only for a smaller avatar. It means taller avatars can't visit as they can't get through the doors. It can make decorating tricky, as items are designed for bigger houses. Even when I make buildings for my use, they're never scaled to me, as I'd like other people to use them. It might be neat to make a mushroom village at some point that requires being smaller, but it's a bit of a niche thing. Not something I'd expect to see as a Linden Home.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, skepwith said:

I'm sure that's true but it's very jarring with the campers/trailers, and a big turn-off for me since I can't resize them. These were the homes I was most interested in, so it's quite a disappointment. I really like the whole idea of Bellisseria otherwise and I do think the homes are very nice.

have you checked out the log cabins? some of the models are much larger and well suited for larger avatars. The landscaping for the cabins is similar to the landscaping for many of the campers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe ceiling height perception is tied to your camera angle. I changed my camera angle from the default view years and years ago to be more in line with my head and not hovering high above my head. I personally think the ceilings in most Linden Homes are too high. In fact, I made a wood ceiling for my Sakura home and dropped that ceiling as low as I could with it sitting on top of the window molding. But, I find nearly all ceilings in SL to be too tall, unless it's a modern home, and then I love tall ceilings.

I seem to remember a conversation here in the forums when Bellisseria was first released about the height of the doorknobs being too high as well. Patch posted a pic of a line up of Lindens and moles to demonstrate the various heights of residents in SL. The variance was staggering. For some those doorknobs where well above their heads but for others the knobs reached just about at knee level. So I understand the quandary of building to suit such a wide range of sizes.

Shown below is my current home with the dropped ceiling and my avatar at 5.98 feet tall. As you can see even with the dropped ceiling there's lots of space above my head. So perhaps changing your camera angle might give you a better perspective. 

624aa11864b24759312347801c4fd896.jpg

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I understand about the ceilings, camera angles, etc. The problem really is with the camper/trailer homes specifically. They just look bizarre on that scale.

Other home types seem varying degrees of reasonable if still a little large. The log homes were a good suggestion; the vaulted ceilings in the design give an intentionality to the height that makes it visually unsurprising. The stilt homes do a nice job of drawing attention away from height entirely, perhaps the lighter color palette makes the walls and doors less imposing.

As an aside I did get a nice laugh out of some of the things people decide to display in their open houses.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, skepwith said:

I was all for the campers too, until I learned they were only 512 plots with half the prim. yikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

yeah true, but if I'm paying for premium, I want my full amount of prims. If they can make campers 1024 with more prims I would be totally game!

You shouldn't get a camper then. Be sure to get a 1024 m parcel house. Then you'll have 351 LI to decorate it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lydia Amethyst said:

yeah true, but if I'm paying for premium, I want my full amount of prims. If they can make campers 1024 with more prims I would be totally game!

but you do get the full amount of prims, because you still have half of your tier level available. :) 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.