When I log in, my internet connection cuts out, then reconnects. Bleh.

Adeline Valeska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay.
So I've been playing SL for a while now, and I've never had this problem before.  I recently switched to using the Singularity viewer, and every time I log in, my internet cuts out.  I watch my wireless connection cut out, then reconnect after about a minute or so.  Then I can go about my SL business.  I just have to wait it out.  But then, maybe five minutes later, it crashes (almost always in the middle of a TP).
I ONLY have wireless internet, so I can't change that.  Do I need to switch back to Phoenix, or even Viewer 2?  Does it have to do with my bandwith or something?
Thanks.

2 answers to this question

If you are finding that your wireless does not seem compatible with one viewer and it worked better with one or two others, I think the answer is obvious.

You can try moving your bandwidth down to see if it stabilizes with Singularity.  You did not say what it was set to presently.

• Like 1

Wireless is unstable for a lot of people.  If you're on a public wifi hub, you're losing bandwidth to everyone else in your dorm or Starbucks.  Even if you're on a secure private hub, your wireless will get interference from cell phones, garage door openers, kitchen appliances, ......  Depending on how much competition you have locally, the connection can either be just fine or really rotten, and it can change in an instant.  Different viewers do put different demands on your computer, so it's not surprising that wireless could be OK with one viewer but a real problem with another.  If you have no choice but wireless, I'd suggest avoiding the viewers that seem to give you the most trouble.  Venus is right about that.  Also, drop your draw distance to something like 64m, and don't stream music or video any more than necessary (since they also use a lot of bandwidth).

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.