Market place policy interpretation?

Sorina Garrigus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am considering having an instore discounted price on a product and listing in the listing description of said in world store discount. Anyone know if this is ok or would it be some kind of violation ... ie LL not happy to not get as much of the cut of the sale. I simply want to sell it there but also  prefer people visit the store area in "person" if you will with a small discount. 

Anti-Competitive or Abusive Behavior. Examples include, but are not limited to:

• inflating prices on the SL Marketplace, in comparison to other e-commerce sites,

You are allowed to list things cheaper inworld and say so in the listing.  The above is the new text that replaced "inflating prices on the SL Marketplace, in comparison to in-world or other e-commerce sites".

Here is the post about it:

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sorina Garrigus said:

LL not happy to not get as much of the cut of the sale

They still get a decent cut.

It benefits LL to have inworld stores because they get tier.

Offering a discount inworld could potentially increase sales. It makes shopping more attractive for the bargain-loving consumer, and therefore would stimulate spending. The more spending in SL - the bigger LLs profit.

The more money you make the higher the fees to convert Lindens to dollars and then process credit to PayPal. The more money a seller makes - the bigger LLs profit.

The history of the old rule is this - an independent company owned the MP (an earlier version of it), and this company didn't want its platform used to advertise items for purchasing in Second Life, which would mean missing out on the 5% commission. This rule made no sense when LL bought the MP, but the rule stuck for a long time.

4 hours ago, Rya Nitely said:

They still get a decent cut.

It benefits LL to have inworld stores because they get tier.

Offering a discount inworld could potentially increase sales. It makes shopping more attractive for the bargain-loving consumer, and therefore would stimulate spending. The more spending in SL - the bigger LLs profit.

The more money you make the higher the fees to convert Lindens to dollars and then process credit to PayPal. The more money a seller makes - the bigger LLs profit.

The history of the old rule is this - an independent company owned the MP (an earlier version of it), and this company didn't want its platform used to advertise items for purchasing in Second Life, which would mean missing out on the 5% commission. This rule made no sense when LL bought the MP, but the rule stuck for a long time.

Generally this is true. But for me I have various entertainment destinations and interactive experiences on top of a small store. So my goal is to try to encourage people to come to my places to see the item and the rest of the store and content. Sure it would be more profitable to just sell stuff with no land ... but I am also trying to bring content which SL still needs greatly. It is just not cheap to do so unfortunately. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.