Alpha blending hair glitches, how to fix?

EdgarCohen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy! I'm well aware this is a very common issue however I've recently started trying to make hair in blender (latest blender). I've seen a few ways to fix alpha blending on the loose strands of hair but I couldn't get anything to work for me. Could anyone either guide me on how to fix these issues or show me a tutorial?

I've followed this tutorial  by this amazing person here, but their method doesn't work for me. I tried to reach out to them but I doubt they're going to reply since the last time they were active on the account was a year ago. 

This is what my hair looks like and this is how it glitches.

unknown.pngunknown.png

The strands behind the head show in front of the ones that are at the front of the head. 

I feel like I can't really try much while having this issue and its stifling the things I could do :/

Please help me, I am frustrated and I cannot figure this out on my own :( 

Another vote for switching to Alpha Masking.

Alpha blending, in addition to the frequent alpha-sorting issues, also does not receive lighting correctly, so more often than not blended hair looks awful in photos as the lighting does not match the scene (think of a really bad photoshop job, aside from it's always attached to your avatar and in realtime!).

More often than not, Masking can look just as good (if not better!) than blending for hair, but does require some time to make the tweaks to get it looking just right. But once you get a feeling for how masking works, you won't look back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

More often than not, Masking can look just as good (if not better!) than blending for hair, but does require some time to make the tweaks to get it looking just right. But once you get a feeling for how masking works, you won't look back.

With one caveat being mipmap or.. something related which causes the solid areas to grow as the camera moves away.

It's more obvious when there's lots of thin strips, more commonly noticable on clothing like fishnets.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.