Trying to figure out my best options, please let me know your thoughts

spookyboo22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL in one capacity or another since 2007 but never really getting into the scenes. This account I've had since I started my podcast but never really did anything with it. I'd like to make it a place where I run my podcast and have a spooky little haunted area to have fun in plus a little home where I can privately chat with friends in the game. I don't have enough cash to get a big island which would be the ideal situation since I would sell the stuff I make or pay others to make and make a replica of my little town in my podcast of horror stories. I have so many ideas I'd love to do but I just don't have the money.

So, I was thinking about somehow raising the money through sales and tips of things I can create here as well as my own savings. I have a premium account and I rent a 4096 plot which is leased as residential and commercial. I'm wondering if I upgraded to the Premium Plus for now, if that would be a better idea than leasing the land. I know the prims would be less I'm sure, but I could create more items with the discounts. The other thing is that I don't know if I'd be able to put items up for sale and list them in the marketplace  and displaying them while being on Linden land. I don't think I can do either so that kind of limits what I can do but I'm not sure.

For those who have upgraded, what are the benefits you've found so far? Would it be reasonable to upgrade or just keep my situation how it is now? I'd like to have something more setup by Halloween time because I'm sure my niche might get busier by then. Also, I am able to create basic stuff like posters, furniture, and t-shirts but I know nothing of scripting and advanced designs. How much do people charge to create items? I can see people possibly coming to cosplay in my area and to listen to the stories about the creatures they're dressing up as (vampires, werewolves, cryptids, etc.) What is the going rate for design work?

Thanks!

Are you asking if you can set up a business/conduct commercial activity out of a Linden Home? If so, the answer is "no". 

(I'm wondering if you'd have better luck asking your questions in the main General Discussion forum. This is the Land Forum, so not the ideal place to ask about how much to charge for your services, etc.)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, spookyboo22 said:

I have a premium account and I rent a 4096 plot which is leased as residential and commercial. I'm wondering if I upgraded to the Premium Plus for now, if that would be a better idea than leasing the land. I know the prims would be less I'm sure, but I could create more items with the discounts. The other thing is that I don't know if I'd be able to put items up for sale and list them in the marketplace  and displaying them while being on Linden land. I don't think I can do either so that kind of limits what I can do but I'm not sure.

I agree with @Sylvia Tamalyn's advice to seek feedback from the General Discussion forum (or somewhere like that) about the overall business prospects. If it seems promising, you could use your existing leased 4096, but because you're already Premium, that's 1024 sq.m. you could use somewhere on Mainland; you're not limited to using that Premium "bonus" tier for a Linden Home. The thing is, though, if you wanted 2048 sq.m., it may be more cost effective to add a second "merely Premium" account, compared to upgrading to Premium Plus. It's true that Plus will save on fees, but unless you do really a lot of uploading, it's difficult to make up the extra cost of the Plus subscription.

But in case this was part of your question, I don't see any reason you couldn't list items in Marketplace. It's my impression that items for sale on Marketplace are now populated directly from the store owner's inventory, not requiring any land at all. You might learn more from the "Selling in the Marketplace" Knowledge Base article.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

But in case this was part of your question, I don't see any reason you couldn't list items in Marketplace. It's my impression that items for sale on Marketplace are now populated directly from the store owner's inventory, not requiring any land at all. You might learn more from the "Selling in the Marketplace" Knowledge Base article.

Agree that this would be fine, as long as OP isn't setting up actual vendors in a LH. "[P]ut items up for sale...and displaying them while being on Linden land" is a bit ambiguous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spookyboo22 said:

Thanks everyone for the responses. Lots to think about :) Right now I have to go figure out why my group has disappeared. 

You need 2 avatars to keep a group alive.  Make an alt and have them join.  

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.