On servers and such

Lucius Balfour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks,

Been around LL for 14 odd years and kept mostly to myself but there is one question that occasionally bubbles up and would like to put before you;  Has LL ever considered allowing privately owned servers ( be it rented or on a NAS for example )  to connect to their grid? Current LL prices are way too prohibitive for me but being able to run one from a NAS for example, has the potential of opening up the grid to a much wider audience. Yes it would mean a reduction in income on server rental but those new users would need  L$, lots of it.

• Haha 1

This question has arisen many times before. My knowledge does not go back far enough to know the full story but, as far as I understand it, LL will never agree to letting their server software go out of their hands for commercial security reasons. That software remains one of Second Life's biggest secrets and LL are understandably determined to keep it that way.

14 hours ago, Lucius Balfour said:

Hi folks,

Been around LL for 14 odd years and kept mostly to myself but there is one question that occasionally bubbles up and would like to put before you;  Has LL ever considered allowing privately owned servers ( be it rented or on a NAS for example )  to connect to their grid? Current LL prices are way too prohibitive for me but being able to run one from a NAS for example, has the potential of opening up the grid to a much wider audience. Yes it would mean a reduction in income on server rental but those new users would need  L$, lots of it.

They had a program at one time where they offered a solution for businesses but those did not connect to the Grid at all,    LL is not going to allow servers in the hands of their consumers for various security reasons that would come with such a solution,   Plus the back end changed from physical hardware to Amazon's aws services over a year ago, so LL no longer has physical servers anywhere.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.